CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Tech (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech-1/)
-   -   Digital Climate Control (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/1582393-digital-climate-control.html)

PewterMetallic98 12-26-2006 11:51 AM

Digital Climate Control

I tried to search for the answer but couldn't find what I was looking for. Well my digital display for the climate control isn't working at all. I'm not exactly sure if it is just burnt out or a fuse. Also I can't keep the tire sensor light off. The sensors have been removed.

rws.1 12-26-2006 11:59 AM

Is it dead or dim?
check itout tonight.
If dim it can be repaireed.
Many here have done it themsleves with a soldering iron
try searching in C5 tech use key words Dim, HVAC,cold solder,

I sent mine out for repair Less than $50 with a 5 year guarantee
CF member mandigital ( David Ruberg)
e-mail digitalguy_1@charter.net

Re the tire sensors... You are out of luck.
the early (pre-'01) system cannot be turned off.
If you do not want the light you have to install new sensors.

PewterMetallic98 12-26-2006 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by rws.1 (Post 1558253823)
Is it dead or dim?
check itout tonight.
If dim it can be repaireed.
Many here have done it themsleves with a soldering iron
try searching in C5 tech use key words Dim, HVAC,cold solder,

I sent mine out for repair Less than $50 with a 5 year guarantee
CF member mandigital ( David Ruberg)
e-mail digitalguy_1@charter.net

Re the tire sensors... You are out of luck.
the early (pre-'01) system cannot be turned off.
If you do not want the light you have to install new sensors.

Ah thanks a ton for his info! I can't see any display whatsoever on the HVAC. I guess I will need him to fix it but I don't wanna be without heat for days! :ack:

N0TDADYS_98 12-26-2006 01:51 PM

FIx it yourself

i fixed mine... took about an hour... i take my time..

http://www.regalgs.org/climate.htm

the pictures dont' appear to be working... but once you get in you should be able to figure it out... otherwise i'm sure someone else has pics. :thumbs:

Charley Hoyt 12-26-2006 07:29 PM

I have an extra control unit that is in very good shape that Iwill give you for $125 shipped.

RED Coupe 01-01-2007 02:12 PM

any idea how much a "new" unit might cost? Any deals through the forum? I repaired mine once as desribed in this thread, now failing agian after six months. Not sure if worth reopening and trying again or just replace with a new unit.

rws.1 01-01-2007 02:20 PM

some where around $300

RED Coupe 01-01-2007 02:45 PM

Thanks...was wonderingsince this is failure is so common whether there was a Forum deal on this part? $300 just sounds steep. Maybe wishful thinking on my part!

RPOZ4Z 01-01-2007 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by ElectronBlueC3 (Post 1558253740)
I tried to search for the answer but couldn't find what I was looking for. Well my digital display for the climate control isn't working at all. I'm not exactly sure if it is just burnt out or a fuse. Also I can't keep the tire sensor light off. The sensors have been removed.

searched "climate control" and found this link in about 5sec.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...limate+control

fix it yourself........

;)

RED Coupe 01-01-2007 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by RPOZ4Z (Post 1558330904)
searched "climate control" and found this link in about 5sec.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...limate+control

fix it yourself........

;)

...as I mentioned...I did this routine 6 months ago...worked fine for six months now failing again...not sure worth doing it again...maybe just replace it....

RPOZ4Z 01-01-2007 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by RED Coupe (Post 1558330993)
...as I mentioned...I did this routine 6 months ago...worked fine for six months now failing again...not sure worth doing it again...maybe just replace it....

sorry to hear, mine has been going strong for 10 months:thumbs:
maybe you should try to solder it one more time, it's a lot cheaper than buying a new one!:cheers:

RED Coupe 01-01-2007 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by RPOZ4Z (Post 1558331320)
sorry to hear, mine has been going strong for 10 months:thumbs:
maybe you should try to solder it one more time, it's a lot cheaper than buying a new one!:cheers:

Yup, you're probably right, maybe give it another try. BUT...if a "new" replacement was around $150ish I ight opt to go for the replcement. Only reason I wouldn't buy a Good/Used unit is it might be just as prone to failure as my current unit. Guess there's no guarantee's a New/New might not fail in time as well. Hate to sound negative but not a good statement about GM/Delphi electonics...

Thanks for the advice and comments...

Buy the way...Happy and Healthy New Year!

...Bob.

RPOZ4Z 01-01-2007 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by RED Coupe (Post 1558332118)
Yup, you're probably right, maybe give it another try. BUT...if a "new" replacement was around $150ish I ight opt to go for the replcement. Only reason I wouldn't buy a Good/Used unit is it might be just as prone to failure as my current unit. Guess there's no guarantee's a New/New might not fail in time as well. Hate to sound negative but not a good statement about GM/Delphi electonics...

Thanks for the advice and comments...

Buy the way...Happy and Healthy New Year!

...Bob.

:cheers:

PewterMetallic98 01-17-2007 10:45 PM

I took mine apart today and looked at what everyone says needs to have the solder touched up. All of mine were firm in place. What do I need to do?

RED Coupe 01-17-2007 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by ElectronBlueC3 (Post 1558562924)
I took mine apart today and looked at what everyone says needs to have the solder touched up. All of mine were firm in place. What do I need to do?

Need to re-solder the eight(I believe there are eight) tiny resistors. They may be fimly attached but some may have what is known as a cold-solder-joint. Do not conduct eletricity properly. As the instructions express, just quickly touch the soldering iron to each joint.

For what its worth, I ended up replacing my control unit today with a new unit. As explained in earlier post, my unit began to flash(al the lights and the display) and wouldn't stop. Tried everything...gave up and purcahsed a new unit today. Put it in tonight and all's well.

Good luck with your efforts...