CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   ANyone every change fog lamps?? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/159304-anyone-every-change-fog-lamps.html)

Jarhead95 10-01-2001 09:57 AM

ANyone every change fog lamps??

I need to change the bulbs in my fog lamps, how do you get to them?? http://www.corvetteforum.cc/zeroimg/...withstupid.gif

dt35th 10-01-2001 10:15 AM

Re: ANyone every change fog lamps?? (Jarhead95)

on my 88, open hood, reach down behind light assembly and turn bulb holder. be carefull when installing new bulbs, you can bend them :flag

[Modified by dt35th, 9:16 AM 10/1/2001]

onedef92 10-01-2001 10:36 AM

On your `95 there are access panels underneath the bumper directly beneath the lamp housings. Same as my '92. Remember, DO NOT touch the bulbs with your fingers. The oils in your skin will cause the bulbs to pop. No poopie! :eek:

Now, if anyone can find or has a TRUE BLUE driving lamp bulbs that will fit this application please let me know! I know Scorp tried a while back but met with limited success. :cry

Jarhead95 10-01-2001 08:27 PM

Re: ANyone every change fog lamps?? (onedef92)

Thanks I havent crawled uder or even looked at it yet. But it should be simple :flag

Springer's LT4 10-01-2001 08:31 PM

Anyone know the part numbers for the 50 watt bulbs that would fit in a 95? Without a doubt they will be my 1st mod :D

89C4L98 10-01-2001 08:53 PM

Re: ANyone every change fog lamps?? (onedef92)

Im sure there is a bulb that will fit. a true blue or "hyper blue" one of them... I will look into this when i get some free time. :boxing or I will make it fit http://www.corvetteforum.cc/ubb/smile.gif

Don Martin 10-01-2001 11:47 PM

Re: ANyone every change fog lamps?? (89C4L98)

I got the 50W bulbs at Walmart. I took my burned out one there and just picked it out by matching them. They are only about $7.

I broke one of them however. I think it's because the gasket is thicker on the 50W bulb? So I used the old gaskets. I think the part # is 885 but I am not sure.

[Modified by Don Martin, 9:48 PM 10/1/2001]

scorp508 10-02-2001 02:37 AM

Re: ANyone every change fog lamps?? (Don Martin)

50W bulbs for 84-90 Corvette is #885.
50W bulbs for 91-96 Corvette & 90 ZR1 is #886.

I got a pair of #893 50W Eaglelite Xenon Plasma lights to try and match my APC Xenon Plasma H4 headlights, and had little success. The 893s burned out in less than 24 hours. I'm desperately trying to find an APC bulb that will work, as I was not happy at all spending $35 on the Eaglelites and getting not even a full day out of them. Also they did not match the color of the APCs very well.

CowboyNVette 10-02-2001 06:40 AM

Re: ANyone every change fog lamps?? (scorp508)

You know one of these days someone will come up with a good fog lamp replacement for the C4s that fits in the stock light fixture. I wish I had the time to come up with one, I bet someone could make a fortune just off of us C4ers. I took the stock (pitiful) lights out and replaced them with the 50w ( still pitiful) bulbs. You know as fast as these cars are you would have thought they would have put a lighting system on it that we couldn't overdrive. :crazy: This is my only regripe about the C4s. The headlights and the fog lamps are really piss poor. I am gonna upgrade to what scorp did with the headlights soon,

Has anyone checked any of the major lighting manufactures to see if they make anything to replace the stock systems we have?

C4Cvette 10-02-2001 08:50 PM

There is a "hyper white" bulb that is available for the newer c4's. I purchased mine at a ricer stereo shop about 8 months ago. They were really hard to find. They are made by Hiper Industries. Part # 889HW27. They claim to be a 80 watt bulb that gives the power of a 100 watt bulb. They are a Plaszma Xenon bulb that has a "slight" blue tint to them. They did help over the stock bulbs, but not 80 watts. The reason I know all this is tonight on the way home one of them blew out, so I have the case with the old ones sitting next to me so I can put them back in for now.
The headlights I upgraded to the Hella H4 replacments with the Catz hyper white bulbs and some transformer that supplies them with 16 volts or something to make them brighter. This helped ALOT.

GiDvEtTe84 10-02-2001 08:59 PM

Re: ANyone every change fog lamps?? (C4Cvette)

Do the upgrade!!! Its well worth it. the only drawback is that everyone thinks your brights are on, and i bet they sre surprised when you flash them back!! :yesnod: :lol:

scorp508 10-02-2001 09:25 PM

Re: ANyone every change fog lamps?? (GiDvEtTe84)

the only drawback is that everyone thinks your brights are on,

Says who? Even with both my upgraded headlights on, and my 50W foglights on I get flashed about the same as when it was all stock. And yes, they are aimed correctly. http://www.corvetteforum.cc/ubb/smile.gif

Lexdog 10-08-2001 09:27 AM

Re: ANyone every change fog lamps?? (scorp508)

When you change the fog lights to the 50Watt bulb do you have to change any fuses? And if you do which one is it? I have a 91 and right now I have #896 bulbs in mine. Is that the 35watt bulb?

scorp508 10-08-2001 11:09 AM

Re: ANyone every change fog lamps?? (Lexdog)

When you change the fog lights to the 50Watt bulb do you have to change any fuses? And if you do which one is it?
Yup, the taillight fuse. You have to up it to a 15 I believe.

BlackPearl1 09-21-2011 07:03 PM

Socket and Pigtail extension for the fog lamps

This seems to be an older thread, so hopefully people are still listening .... but I have a 1990 coupe, and I noticed that the fog lights don't work. When looking into it, I noticed that there aren't any fog bulbs in the sockets, and even the wiring leading up to the bulb area that would include a socket seems to be missing on both sides. Apparently a previous owner had removed them, possibly as a result of an accident (I noticed that the car has one accident listed on it's Carfax report, back in 1992.)

I did notice what appears to be a wire & connector on both sides of the car under the hood in the front, with nothing plugged into it that I am guessing is part of the wire harness leading to the fog lamps, but it's not long enough to reach the fog lamp fixture, so again, I'm guessing there is an extension of some kind that plugs into this connector, that is supposed to lead to the fixture and includes the bulb socket. Can anyone tell me if I'm on the right track, and also if I am .... where I might be able to find the extensions? I bought bulbs, but have nothing to plug them into.

A related question is .... when researching this, I saw where one of the parts of the fog lamp assembly are springs. I was curious if someone could tell me what these are used for, and how to tell if I need them. The lamps are so hard to see that it's hard to get into the fixture location to look around at what parts are there, and what may still be missing.

Thanks ..... ever since I inherited the car from my dad I'm trying to clean it up and restore the little bit that needs to be done. Overall, this car is in like new condition and not much is needed. Thanks to anyone who can help.

K87ZZ4 08-22-2012 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by scorp508 (Post 1301332)
50W bulbs for 84-90 Corvette is #885.
50W bulbs for 91-96 Corvette & 90 ZR1 is #886.

Thanks for the info! I didn't realize there was a brighter bulb even available.

I ordered them through Amazon for less than $8 a piece. Sure beats the days when they were nearly $20 each :yesnod:

It's been so long since I've had to change one that I had a hard time finding the socket. On my 87, it was just *inboard* of the hinge for the hood... you almost have to go by feel, but there is about a 1" square tab that you have to turn counter-clockwise. It can be a bitch, I had to switch between left and right hands to get it started and then turn it enough to pull it out. And you kind of have to stretch the wires to carefully maneuver around things with the new bulb.

Thanks for the help, as always!

Cliff Harris 08-22-2012 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by BlackPearl1 (Post 1578762633)
I did notice what appears to be a wire & connector on both sides of the car under the hood in the front, with nothing plugged into it that I am guessing is part of the wire harness leading to the fog lamps, but it's not long enough to reach the fog lamp fixture, so again, I'm guessing there is an extension of some kind that plugs into this connector, that is supposed to lead to the fixture and includes the bulb socket. Can anyone tell me if I'm on the right track, and also if I am .... where I might be able to find the extensions? I bought bulbs, but have nothing to plug them into.

It's possible that someone tried to do a HID foglight conversion and either never finished or the cheapo ballasts they bought blew out and they removed the dead bodies...

If you pay less than $100 for a HID foglight kit, buy two kits. Then you'll have some spare ballasts and if you get lucky you'll get 2 good ones out of the 4.

I put the 885 bulbs in my car a long time ago. You need to change the TAIL fuse to 15A. Just for fun I tried not changing it from the old 10A fuse and it blew out, so you definitely need to go to a 15A fuse.

PLRX 08-22-2012 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris (Post 1581637303)
It's possible that someone tried to do a HID foglight conversion and either never finished or the cheapo ballasts they bought blew out and they removed the dead bodies...

If you pay less than $100 for a HID foglight kit, buy two kits. Then you'll have some spare ballasts and if you get lucky you'll get 2 good ones out of the 4.

I put the 885 bulbs in my car a long time ago. You need to change the TAIL fuse to 15A. Just for fun I tried not changing it from the old 10A fuse and it blew out, so you definitely need to go to a 15A fuse.

My Fog HID cost me less than $100 over two years ago, I drive 95% of the time with the fog lamps on and they still going. Never had an issue with the hardware.

nathanours 08-22-2012 03:05 PM

So if I put these bulbs:

50W bulbs for 91-96 Corvette & 90 ZR1 is #886

in my '96 and changed the tail light fuse to 15 they will be much brighter than the stock ones?

FOURSPEEDVETTE 08-22-2012 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by nathanours (Post 1581637623)
So if I put these bulbs:

50W bulbs for 91-96 Corvette & 90 ZR1 is #886

in my '96 and changed the tail light fuse to 15 they will be much brighter than the stock ones?

Yes. You'll be very happy with them. Upgrading to a 15 amp fuse is fine too. The wiring and plastic lens can handle any heat they build up. Which really isn't very hot anyway. As far as "outdriving" your headlight reach, .........:crazy2: Who drives that fast? :lol: