CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   Why go high tech when old school is just as fast? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/1597785-why-go-high-tech-when-old-school-is-just-as-fast.html)

Billysvette 01-14-2007 10:22 AM

Why go high tech when old school is just as fast?

Like it says,why go high tech computer engine when old school is still just as fast.You spend alot more money changeing to high tech ,computer controlled fuel injection ,engine.Is it just to be different?Not trying to start nothing,just a thought.

Gordonm 01-14-2007 10:33 AM

Yes for all out HP both FI and a carbed engine will be right about the same. Look at driveability though. The FI engine has it all over the carbed engine here. Idle and mid range is much improved with FI. Throttle response is much better. The carb is outdated and it just averages out the mixture. FI is much more precise. Better fuel economy and better driveability. FI wins hands down. That being said I still run a carb! No choke either but it makes good HP

shafrs3 01-14-2007 10:38 AM

Better drivability, no vapor lock, no g-force fuel starvation, no altitude mixture problems, no weather related problems. Better gas mileage, much more accurate tuning capability, real time mixture monitoring, data logging.

And because it's :cool:

:D

ngcolby 01-14-2007 10:42 AM

Because it's more fuel efficient. It's also more money in the pockets of the service depts. who get to fix all that stuff when it breaks.

mandm1200 01-14-2007 11:01 AM

Why go high tech?

Look at the mpg and then look at performance. Computer controlled cars can do it much better than a carburated car.

panic 01-14-2007 11:03 AM

efi engines have turned enthusiast motorists into mere motorist consumers...how many of those who have a sport new gen efi cars know where to put the hands when something wrong happens?
nobody (or very few of them), they have to 'buy' all the services but not fully enjoy the passion.

ok, now you can flame me:leaving:

Billysvette 01-14-2007 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Gordonm (Post 1558509606)
Yes for all out HP both FI and a carbed engine will be right about the same. Look at driveability though. The FI engine has it all over the carbed engine here. Idle and mid range is much improved with FI. Throttle response is much better. The carb is outdated and it just averages out the mixture. FI is much more precise. Better fuel economy and better driveability. FI wins hands down. That being said I still run a carb! No choke either but it makes good HP

I agree with what you said,BUT not really worth the extra coin you have to spend,and you can make a carb very responsive .The new carbs of today run really good,alot better then 20 years ago.For our cars it just doesnt seem reasonable ,unless its to be different.

Billysvette 01-14-2007 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by shafrs3 (Post 1558509662)
Better drivability, no vapor lock, no g-force fuel starvation, no altitude mixture problems, no weather related problems. Better gas mileage, much more accurate tuning capability, real time mixture monitoring, data logging.

And because it's :cool:

:D

Gas mileage ,i dont think many of us care about that.Vapor lock,can be fixed,mixtures can be fixed,I agree with better tuning.

Billysvette 01-14-2007 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by panic (Post 1558509906)
efi engines have turned enthusiast motorists into mere motorist consumers...how many of those who have a sport new gen efi cars know where to put the hands when something wrong happens?
nobody (or very few of them), they have to 'buy' all the services but not fully enjoy the passion.

ok, now you can flame me:leaving:

:iagree:

Big2Bird 01-14-2007 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Billysvette (Post 1558509989)
Gas mileage ,i dont think many of us care about that.Vapor lock,can be fixed,mixtures can be fixed,I agree with better tuning.

Then how about engine longevity. Carbs dump raw gas even when you do not need it, washing the oil off cylinder walls and diluting the crankcase oil.:thumbs:

chevymans 77 01-14-2007 11:15 AM

a carb that is correctly set up for the motor it is on will perform as good as FI, personaly I would say FI willl take less time to tune.

Billysvette 01-14-2007 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by chevymans 77 (Post 1558510043)
a carb that is correctly set up for the motor it is on will perform as good as FI, personaly I would say FI willl take less time to tune.

I can testify that fi is not easier then carbs.

Billysvette 01-14-2007 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Big2Bird (Post 1558510032)
Then how about engine longevity. Carbs dump raw gas even when you do not need it, washing the oil off cylinder walls and diluting the crankcase oil.:thumbs:

Longevity,Yes ,maybe a little more mileage out of a fi,But still not worth the cost.You can still get alot of mileage out of a carbed engine.

Billysvette 01-14-2007 11:28 AM

Also i can add a blower on the engine and still be alot cheaper then fi.So far there isnt any good reason to go high tech.remember ,this is just a debate,not flaming nobody.

ratflinger 01-14-2007 11:29 AM

Each to his own. If I had wanted a computerized EFI car I would have kept my 93. It was an excellent car & I really enjoyed the 6-speed, but the damn computer that controlled the climate system kept barfing. I bought my 79 specifically because of no computers. The only cpu in my car is in the Alpine.

BTW - I'm not a technophobe, I've been in electronics for over 24 years.

Xakk 01-14-2007 11:49 AM

Personally, I think it all just boils down to bragging rights. :rofl:

7T1vette 01-14-2007 11:59 AM

This has been fun. Maybe next time, we can discuss the best color for a C3 Corvette. :lol: :lol:

Bullshark 01-14-2007 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by chevymans 77 (Post 1558510043)

:bs I almost missed this thread and all the fun:rofl:

Bullshark

Fevre 01-14-2007 12:04 PM

Better cold start, better throttle response, better mph, better cruising range; ya efi sucks. :)

moosie982 01-14-2007 12:06 PM

Or the pros and cons of luggage racks and/or what mufflers to use for side mounts,,,,,:willy: :willy: :willy: Oh yeah,, EFI until it goes bad and wont start, carb. is easier to diagnose. Peace,,,Moosie :seeya