CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   Hood stuck shut (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/1597943-hood-stuck-shut.html)

laughac 01-14-2007 01:44 PM

Hood stuck shut

My hood won't open! My best guess is that one of the hood release cables has snapped.

Any idea how to open the passenger side latch without the cable? Is there access through the fender well?

Kool88vette 01-14-2007 02:06 PM

Yes. I had this problem with my 88. I put the front up on jackstands and removed both wheels. There is a plastic cover held on by 4 bolts in the wheel well. Remove the covers and you have access to the engine compartment. I heated up an old screwdriver and bent it into a hook. I reached up inside and released the hoodlatch on both sides. Then I changed the cable.

redrose 01-14-2007 02:22 PM

first, hold the release handle in the ''open'' position and drive around the block holding it that way...if that doesn't work, follow kool88's directions...if driving it works, grease the latches, especially the ''upper'' side out the pointed thing that screws into the hood, and say a prayer of thanks.

RedGS 01-14-2007 08:19 PM

Also another quick thing to try is to have someone push down on the passenger side of the hood up by the corner near the windshield and you push down on the drivers side in the same place and have the door open and pull the handle and see if that does anything. Sometimes ive found that previous owners will raise the little rubber stoppers to stop squeaks and such but in doing so it makes the hood not want to release.

laughac 01-14-2007 10:36 PM

Thanks. I've had no luck driving around pulling the handle, but I did get this PM that seems worth considering:

"Theres a tool you can order it out of midamerica. Its like 40 dollars. You push it under and it pops open the hood."

Has anyone else bought one of these and had good luck with it?
What is the url of the "MidAmerica" parts dealer?

I have to travel for a week, but if I can't find this tool by then I'll try the fenderwell access.

Thanks for your help. This forum is great!

redrose 01-14-2007 11:19 PM

oops, double posted

redrose 01-14-2007 11:21 PM

the tool was a brainstorm of Mr. Killibrew...i bought one from him at carlisle for $25...others sell copies...it works...only problem is you either need to use it often to remember ''the moves'', or have another vette with the hood open so that you can see where to poke and twist.

ruby9246 01-14-2007 11:29 PM

http://mysite.verizon.net/ldemaio/si...g.w300h225.jpg

Pic of the Tool

80sRule 01-14-2007 11:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You've been given good advice, and I hope I can offer something.

The former owner of my car installed zip ties on the hood releases so if the hood cable crapped out, you could get access to them with nothing more than pliers. I'd install some of them once you get your new cable installed.

Attachment 48172842

Good Luck,
80sRule

Kool88vette 01-15-2007 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by laughac (Post 1558518622)
Thanks. I've had no luck driving around pulling the handle, but I did get this PM that seems worth considering:

"Theres a tool you can order it out of midamerica. Its like 40 dollars. You push it under and it pops open the hood."

I have to travel for a week, but if I can't find this tool by then I'll try the fenderwell access.

Some have had good results from this tool and others can't get it to work. It's a bent rod that you stick into the engine compartment through the door jam. You pry up on the hood release. Be careful when applying pressure on the corners of the hood, it can crack.

laughac 01-15-2007 09:53 AM

I happen to have a dent removal tool that looks just like the tool in the photo. Can someone show me a picture of the pressure point I'm going to try to reach on the passenger side?

Slalom4me 01-15-2007 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by laughac (Post 1558522141)
Can someone show me a picture of the pressure point
I'm going to try to reach on the passenger side?

It isn't the passenger side, but a photo here may be helpful

- Hood Release Cable: Fix it before it fixes you.

I'd be interested in seeing a photo of the dent tool and hearing
more about where it came from.

http://www.slalom4me.com/images/jpg/...eleaseTool.jpg

Kool88vette 01-15-2007 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by laughac (Post 1558518622)

Your welcome, here's the tool. http://www.madvet.com/shop?frame=3.948

and the instructions
http://content.madirect.com/pdf/609637.pdf

Tom Piper 01-16-2007 06:42 AM

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...n.php?qstId=87

Tom Piper

laughac 04-01-2007 08:51 PM

Out of time and patience. Taking this to the GM dealer in Winchester, VA tomorrow and hope not to get ripped off.

A good friend manages the service department at a Nashville Chevy dealership, and I hope these guys are as good as he is.

runner140* 04-02-2007 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by laughac (Post 1559633591)
Out of time and patience. Taking this to the GM dealer in Winchester, VA tomorrow and hope not to get ripped off.

A good friend manages the service department at a Nashville Chevy dealership, and I hope these guys are as good as he is.

None of the above suggestions worked for you since January 14th?

laughac 04-03-2007 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by elefkow (Post 1559637891)
None of the above suggestions worked for you since January 14th?

I'm sure it was all good advice, but I am only home for a matter of hours each weekend. After spending time with my kids I sneak out an drive my Porsche for an hour or so, which has left me only a few minutes to try getting the vette hood open each weekend.

I 'made' the tool suggested, using a dent king tool I had, but never could get enough leverage on the passenger latch. Time is money, so I've had to opt to pay GM techs for their time on this issue.

Thanks very much, all. I'll surely need your help again sometime after the hood opens.

mgafun 04-03-2007 01:40 AM

For the future - Corvette Fever TechTip: tie 3' nylon
twine to each release (what the cable moves) and
tuck it within reach near wipers for opening if new
cable ever breaks again. If the twine is white, blacken
it with shoe polish so it's not obvious to vandals.

86PACER 04-03-2007 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by Kool88vette (Post 1558511954)
Yes. I had this problem with my 88. I put the front up on jackstands and removed both wheels. There is a plastic cover held on by 4 bolts in the wheel well. Remove the covers and you have access to the engine compartment. I heated up an old screwdriver and bent it into a hook. I reached up inside and released the hoodlatch on both sides. Then I changed the cable.

This is pretty much the surefire way to get the hood open when the cable snaps. Laughac did you try this method?

laughac 04-03-2007 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by 86PACER (Post 1559651533)
This is pretty much the surefire way to get the hood open when the cable snaps. Laughac did you try this method?

I have never lifted the car since hearing it could crack yjr roof. When it gets warmer I'll find more time.

Thanks!