CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   New tires. Woo hoo! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/1614772-new-tires-woo-hoo.html)

mlongo99 02-02-2007 10:41 PM

New tires. Woo hoo!

Last week I finally got rid of my original supercar tires. They served me pretty well, but after 12500 miles and some time on the track, they were thrashed. The rears especially took a beating from the track and lost a lot of tread chunks, mostly on the inside. So I got the BFG KDW2's but didn't get a chance to drive on them since it had been raining. Well, I didn't have to work today, the sun was out, and it was just over 60 degrees. :thumbs:

So this morning I went for a spirited drive on one of my favorite twisty roads. :steering: So far I'm really happy with these tires. I know it's always hard to make a comparison between new and old tires, but it just felt great to be on fresh rubber again. The last time I cruised up the road, the AH kicked in several times, mostly on corner exits, and it just plain lacked grip. Today, AH never came on once. The car just stuck everywhere. :cool: I'm loving it. :cheers:

armyyellow05 02-02-2007 10:49 PM

Sounds sweet I really like those tires but too scared to go w/o RFT. So i'm probaly gonna go with the new firstones this spring.

I would like to see a pic from the rear showing that cool tread pattern

CW

MikeyTX 02-02-2007 11:06 PM

I installed the BFG's last week. Fantastic change for the better in handling. Ride is better and quieter as well.

mikepipe597 02-02-2007 11:30 PM

Dont get a flat:( :( :( :( :(

mlongo99 02-03-2007 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by armyyellow05 (Post 1558795052)
Sounds sweet I really like those tires but too scared to go w/o RFT. So i'm probaly gonna go with the new firstones this spring.

I would like to see a pic from the rear showing that cool tread pattern

CW

I totally understand about the runflat thing. It's not for everyone. I spent my college years with a motorcycle as my only transportation. Get a flat on that and you're screwed. I think being in that situation for so long has given me the confidence to go without the runflats.

I'll snap a pic tomorrow. I must say I do think they look pretty cool.

MikeyTX 02-03-2007 12:10 AM

That is why I carry a plug kit and a small 12v air pump in one of the cubby holes in the trunk. I truly wih I'd have taken a pictur of the split on the inside of the casing of my left rear run flat. It is scarey that the tire didn't blow out.

mlongo99 02-03-2007 01:18 AM

I've got a small compressor I carry too. Just need to pick up a plug kit now. :thumbs:

vett2go 02-03-2007 09:45 AM

If you have a flat with out RFT's will there be body damage? The car is soooo low??? Does anybody know?

MikeyTX 02-03-2007 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by vett2go (Post 1558798179)
If you have a flat with out RFT's will there be body damage? The car is soooo low??? Does anybody know?

Not unless you go off roading with it. :willy:

AFVETTE 02-03-2007 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by vett2go (Post 1558798179)

The LTPS will go off at 24 PSI which should allow you plenty of time to find a safe spot to stop and address the situation. Once you've driven a late model vette on non run flats you'll think it's a whole new car with vastly improved ride, handling, noise etc.

It's like night and day.

Tom

Walt White Coupe 02-03-2007 10:46 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Loveum

1sweetazzC6 02-03-2007 10:51 AM

Are non-runflat's significantly lighter than runflats? How much?

Lightning Coyote 02-03-2007 12:30 PM

Any new tires are going to feel great after running on tires that have worn out. I would be interested in hearing about the new tires after 10,000 miles are on them. :thumbs:

BVW 02-03-2007 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by mlongo99 (Post 1558794945)
Last week I finally got rid of my original supercar tires. They served me pretty well, but after 12500 miles and some time on the track, they were thrashed. The rears especially took a beating from the track and lost a lot of tread chunks, mostly on the inside. So I got the BFG KDW2's but didn't get a chance to drive on them since it had been raining. Well, I didn't have to work today, the sun was out, and it was just over 60 degrees. :thumbs:

So this morning I went for a spirited drive on one of my favorite twisty roads. :steering: So far I'm really happy with these tires. I know it's always hard to make a comparison between new and old tires, but it just felt great to be on fresh rubber again. The last time I cruised up the road, the AH kicked in several times, mostly on corner exits, and it just plain lacked grip. Today, AH never came on once. The car just stuck everywhere. :cool: I'm loving it. :cheers:

Day off, sunny, 60 degrees - you just have to rub it in, don't you? It's 4 degrees here and snowing horizontally because of a 35 mile per hour wind. I'm off today, but the plows have been down our road half a dozen times already trying to keep a lane clear. I probably won't get to drive today.:sad:

ZO6Gal 02-03-2007 06:17 PM

Can someone tell me how many miles you have gotten on the tires that come on the f55 optioned car? I have 11,000 right now and was curious. I'm thinking of replacing them with the Michelin's when it's time. Thanks. :cheers:

armyyellow05 02-03-2007 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe (Post 1558798791)
Loveum

That pattern does look sharp and I think kinda close to the new RFT firestones probaly my choice this spring.

mlongo99 02-03-2007 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by BVW (Post 1558803131)
Day off, sunny, 60 degrees - you just have to rub it in, don't you? It's 4 degrees here and snowing horizontally because of a 35 mile per hour wind. I'm off today, but the plows have been down our road half a dozen times already trying to keep a lane clear. I probably won't get to drive today.:sad:

Sorry about that. But not everything is great out here. I get depressed when people bring up the topic of real estate prices. :lol:

MikeyTX 02-03-2007 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by rgcarmack14 (Post 1558803371)
Can someone tell me how many miles you have gotten on the tires that come on the f55 optioned car? I have 11,000 right now and was curious. I'm thinking of replacing them with the Michelin's when it's time. Thanks. :cheers:

A lot will depend on your driving habits. Definitely keep an eye on your tire pressures using a good hand held gauge. Check them weekly with out fail when they are cold, before they have been driven on. Keep an eye on the inside shoulders of the front tires. They tend to wear fast. I actually had my front tires removed and, moved the left front to the right front position and visa versa so that the shoulder wear stayed equal.