CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   my first c6 experience... (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/1615607-my-first-c6-experience.html)

gbgary 02-04-2007 02:03 AM

my first c6 experience...

grew up in the 60s. an older buddy of mine had a c1, a '58 i believe, and that was the first vette i ever rode in...fantastic. the first one i ever drove was an early c3, i was probably 20, 21 maybe...fantastic. i wasn't in a position to buy a c3 financially and i never liked the looks of the c4s. c5s came along and i was putting kids through college so no-way then. i've loved the c6s since they debuted and have been lurking on this board for a few months. i see a lady driving an atomic orange coupe home almost every day. today i walked into a dealer to just sit in one and see if my lower-back problems would be an issue. very comfortable, no issues entering or exiting the car. i've done some homework on these and while chatting with the salesman he offered to let me drive it (i guess cuz i didn't seem like a total idiot, lol). it's been 30 years since i've driven a vette and i must say after the drive today i am 100% positive i will buy one very soon. i wasn't surprised by the power, it was exactly what i expected and what i'm used too. the brakes, handling, and comfort are what i was struck by...awesome (it was z51). another thing that i was surprised by was the vast difference in steering effort between low-speed manuvers and anything 40ish and above. is this just a c6 thing or are the c5s the same? one more quick question...which price is lower, gmid or invoice? thanks for reading this noob post.

glennhl 02-04-2007 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by gbgary (Post 1558808258)
grew up in the 60s. an older buddy of mine had a c1, a '58 i believe, and that was the first vette i ever rode in...fantastic. the first one i ever drove was an early c3, i was probably 20, 21 maybe...fantastic. i wasn't in a position to buy a c3 financially and i never liked the looks of the c4s. c5s came along and i was putting kids through college so no-way then. i've loved the c6s since they debuted and have been lurking on this board for a few months. i see a lady driving an atomic orange coupe home almost every day. today i walked into a dealer to just sit in one and see if my lower-back problems would be an issue. very comfortable, no issues entering or exiting the car. i've done some homework on these and while chatting with the salesman he offered to let me drive it (i guess cuz i didn't seem like a total idiot, lol). it's been 30 years since i've driven a vette and i must say after the drive today i am 100% positive i will buy one very soon. i wasn't surprised by the power, it was exactly what i expected and what i'm used too. the brakes, handling, and comfort are what i was struck by...awesome (it was z51). another thing that i was surprised by was the vast difference in steering effort between low-speed manuvers and anything 40ish and above. is this just a c6 thing or are the c5s the same? one more quick question...which price is lower, gmid or invoice? thanks for reading this noob post.

I'm 53 and grew up in the late 60's. I loved those old hot rods, but the new ones are so much better! They are faster, more comfortable, and safer.

GMID is the same as GM Supplier and both are around 1% ABOVE the invoice. So if you can negotiate invoice, go for it. I paid GM Supplier, but I did NOT pay any thing else, ZERO doc fees, nothing else except sales tax and license. So be careful, they may charge you invoice and then some ridiculous add-ons like doc fees and dealer prep.

LS1LT1 02-04-2007 05:11 AM

Great choice, you'll love it even more once you own it. :cheers: :steering:

Originally Posted by gbgary (Post 1558808258)
another thing that i was surprised by was the vast difference in steering effort between low-speed manuvers and anything 40ish and above. is this just a c6 thing or are the c5s the same?

The C5s also have the variable ratio Magnasteer power assist steering but I think there might be a bit more change in effort from slow speeds to higher speeds in the C6 version of this system.

Indy-hp 02-04-2007 11:43 AM

Having owned both a C5 and now a C6 daily driver, the C6 steering is lighter (more power assist) at low speeds.

bdog01 02-04-2007 02:40 PM

Here's a link to a handy spreadsheet I wrote to calculate the costs for the 2007 C6. It will dsplay all the various price points:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ht=spreadsheet

BADC64GO 02-04-2007 05:17 PM

"it's been 30 years since i've driven a vette and i must say after the drive today i am 100% positive i will buy one very soon."

Better sooner then later! :thumbs:

su8pack1 02-04-2007 05:35 PM

Go for it, you'll love it. :thumbs: