CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Autocrossing & Roadracing (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing-23/)
-   -   Track only '94 C4.. ABS or no? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing/1617697-track-only-94-c4-abs-or-no.html)

ZBRA 02-06-2007 08:00 PM

Track only '94 C4.. ABS or no?

Again I seek the Corvette Forum wisdom in my 1994 track car project. This time on the subject of the original ABS system.

Keep it or no?
Pros and cons?

Brakes will consist of C5 Z06 front and all new C4 components rear. :cheers:

davidfarmer 02-06-2007 08:15 PM

Absolutely keep it, although keep in mind that it can fail. I don't know what warning you get on the C4, but find out what it is, and look out for it.

Make sure you keep your caliper piston area very close to OEM, or you will throw your bias off bigtime.

cnewman57 02-06-2007 08:42 PM

I've kept it on mine,

but I plan to pull the fuse and see how it works. I tend to think like David; I'm pretty sure it's a weapon, but I want to know what happens when it quits in the heat of a race.

As far as changing caliper area, I'm of the opinion that as long as the ratio from front to rear stays close, you should be ok. In other words, I wouldn't put a 6-piston Wilwood up front and leave the rears stock.

Chuck

Solofast 02-06-2007 09:27 PM

:iagree: KEEP IT !!!!

If for no other reason than it really helps prevent flat spotting...

Our BSP car didn't have it any I can assure you that you are going to have to be much more careful not to flat spot sticky (and thin) tires. Not having ABS after driving stock class cars for 10 years that had it was a difficult transition...

Mojave 02-06-2007 10:48 PM

I'm working on a 96 for a track car, and I'm keeping ABS. Where I run (TWS) is too bumpy to take it out. I would say in most cases, having ABS would be an advantage.

ZBRA 02-07-2007 12:12 AM

Sounds good. Those of you that have kept the ABS on a track car, any programming issues? I have removed the ASR and cruise unit. I am also considering a DFI since my dog ate the factory engine harness.

Can the ABS computer operate stand-alone?

Mojave 02-07-2007 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by ZBRA (Post 1558849754)
Sounds good. Those of you that have kept the ABS on a track car, any programming issues? I have removed the ASR and cruise unit. I am also considering a DFI since my dog ate the factory engine harness.

Can the ABS computer operate stand-alone?

I have no ASR and the ABS works fine. I haven't dug into most of the wiring, however, so I'm not sure what exactly is required to keep the ABS working.

WNDOPDLR 02-07-2007 08:39 AM

I kept it on my 88 track car. I, too, agree with David, and if I ever get good enough that I need additional challenge-a long time in coming- I may remove the fuse and see what it is like.

We completely rewired my track car with a Painless kit. Removed over 70# of unneeded wiring, relays, motors, etc. ABS works fine (no ASR) and it can be done. If you decide to go that route, buy a good quality harness like Painless. We have used idfferent harness' on other cars and you get what you pay for. If you run into trouble, Painless is there with very very good tech help. If you have trouble beyond that email me. My son did our car and, with one minor exception, everything worked fine first time out.

ZBRA 02-07-2007 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by WNDOPDLR (Post 1558851747)
We have used idfferent harness' on other cars and you get what you pay for.

I'm looking into the Accell DFI. Do you have any experience with it?

AUTO_X_AL 02-07-2007 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Solofast (Post 1558847137)
:iagree: KEEP IT !!!!

If for no other reason than it really helps prevent flat spotting...

Our BSP car didn't have it any I can assure you that you are going to have to be much more careful not to flat spot sticky (and thin) tires. Not having ABS after driving stock class cars for 10 years that had it was a difficult transition...

:iagree:
It's easier to drive on round tires! Square ones don't work so well.
Al

Red5 02-07-2007 11:19 AM

I've owned/autocrossed two C4s. An 86 and an 87.

Hate to say this but my system continually failed. Usually half way through the course. So I pulled the fuse and found out that I was actually Faster without the ABS. (in my c4s)

If I pull the fuse in my C5 it's a different story. The C5 needs the abs working.

WNDOPDLR 02-07-2007 03:07 PM

]I'm looking into the Accell DFI. Do you have any experience with it?[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but I can't help you with that one.