CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   Replacement frame with c4 suspension? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/1636041-replacement-frame-with-c4-suspension.html)

smiley-ro 02-27-2007 07:33 PM

Replacement frame with c4 suspension?

Who has or knows of someone who has replaced his frame on a c-1 to a c4 or 5 suspension? I have looked at Paul Neuman, Street Shop, on a stock type frame, or SRIII with a tube frame. They all use the more modern Aluminum suspensions, but is there an advantage one over the other. I am talking about cost, modification, & preformance. Roger Orton

Zo62 02-27-2007 07:54 PM

I did my own conversion, not hard for anyone with decent fabrication skills.

smiley-ro 02-27-2007 07:58 PM

Frame

What frame did you use?

vstol 02-27-2007 08:47 PM

Try Jaminsons frames in Charleston SC

Stan's Customs 02-27-2007 08:59 PM

I like the frame Billy Dawson has ..Seguine ,Texas.

Take a look at his web page...corvettecorrection.com

He can arrange everything you need even an engine.

Knows his stuff..

Islander21 02-27-2007 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by vstol (Post 1559153396)
Try Jaminsons frames in Charleston SC

I have a Jamison's frame, great folks to work with right in your neck of the woods. Here's their weblink:

http://www.jamisoncustomcorvette.com/

CorvetteTechInc 02-27-2007 10:42 PM

There are many options to choose from out there. Those that use one frame or another will tell you that it is the best. I would suggest doing some homework and comparisons yourself along with feedback from those who have used aftermarket frames.

Some to compare:

Art Morrison
SRIII
Car Creations (Newmans)
Jim Meyers
Corvette Connection
Jamisons
Street Shop
etc.

Things to consider:

Front Suspension Options
Rear Suspension Options
Modifications to body if any
Engine and Transmission options
Bolt on?
Fuel Tank Requirements if any (Stock or aftermarket)
Exhaust (Stock or aftermarket?)
Wheel and Tire limitations?
Price
Weight
Shipping?
Design (Strength)
Customer Service
Finish Options (Paint or Powdercoatin)
Roller Available?
etc.

Also to consider is if you do your own work or farm it out. The shop you pick may have a preference for some reason.

I prefer the SRIII myself for a couple of reasons but there are many good options out there. That's why I suggest doing your own homework and make a decision that's right for you.

http://www.vettetech.com/projects/c3...3gs113006e.jpg

VetteJohn 02-28-2007 08:23 AM

Why SRIII?

Originally Posted by CorvetteTechInc (Post 1559155347)
Front Suspension Options
Rear Suspension Options
Modifications to body if any
Engine and Transmission options
Bolt on?
Fuel Tank Requirements if any (Stock or aftermarket)
Exhaust (Stock or aftermarket?)
Wheel and Tire limitations?
Price
Weight
Shipping?
Design (Strength)
Customer Service
Finish Options (Paint or Powdercoatin)
Roller Available?

I prefer the SRIII myself for a couple of reasons but there are many good options out there. That's why I suggest doing your own homework and make a decision that's right for you.

http://www.vettetech.com/projects/c3...3gs113006e.jpg

Which of the list of items made you choose the SRIII?

cbernhardt 02-28-2007 10:40 AM

I did my wife's '62 modifying the original frame to accept C4 suspension.
http://www.carols62.com
I am now working on a '59 using one of Billy Dawson's frames.
http://www.carols62.com/59
When I was looking to buy a frame I pretty much narrowed my choices down the the SRIII and Billy's frame. I chose Billy's frame because:
1. I did not like the very low ground clearance of the SRIII.
2. I liked the clear open area of the "interior" area on Billy's frame which makes adding the exhaust system easier as well as facilitating the removal of the transmission if necessary.
3. I am going to add a roll cage to my '59 and I feel better welding on the box steel sections as opposed to the round tubes.
4. Billy's setup utilizes the full width, transverse spring suspension in front and rear, which is what I wanted. I'm not sure if any of the other frames offer this or not. At the time I checked (several years ago) the SRIII utilized a narrowed suspension with coil overs which I did NOT want.
5. Billy's frame is a little heavier than the tube frames but I feel that it is just as strong and (in my opinion) it is stiffer than an original modified frame. The workmanship on Billy's frame is excellent.
6. Billy can furnish the "small" stuff like hand brake cables, steering columns, brake boosters, stainless brake lines, and custom instrument panels. He can also furnish a ready to roll frame complete with engine and transmission if that is what you are looking for.

Charles

Zo62 02-28-2007 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by smiley-ro (Post 1559152484)
What frame did you use?

I used my original framehttp://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...e/DSCN0652.jpg

Unlike most I actually left my stock frame horns up front. This made less fabrication, but tricking to get the caster just right. I am very happy with the end result.

The tube chassis shown in the post above is awesome!

blandacre 02-28-2007 01:47 PM

Conversion

I used Billy Dawson's (Corvette Correction) frame and I am very happy with it. Double perimeter with no X-Member and a removeable crossmember for easy trans/engine removal. It will accept virtually any sb or bb Chevy engine & trans combo. Handles great and goes like stink with the LS1 and T56. Bolt together operation with the exception of a minor mod to the third member housing which Billy can do for you.

Bud
62/LS1/T56

kenmo 02-28-2007 02:35 PM

Blandacre - sharp looking 62... Got any more pics of her....???

61Rat 02-28-2007 05:54 PM

I am also a happy customer of Billy Dawson's, for many of the same reasons Charles listed above. I spent a lot of time looking at everybodies products and services and went with Billy after my research. I will make a point of saying that all of the products and services that I researched in 2002 when I was in the market were very good, so making a final decision may be harder than you think. :cheers:

CorvetteTechInc 02-28-2007 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by VetteJohn (Post 1559158482)
Which of the list of items made you choose the SRIII?

Some of this may be subjective and I am not knocking other products as there are many good ones to choose from. But this is why we choose the SRIII for some of the stuff we do.

Strength - We use the SRIII chassis when we can because we feel the triangulated design offers one of the (if not the) strongest options out there.

Flexibility - One thing I failed to mention earlier is that SRIII was very willing to work with us on customizing the chassis as well as work with other Vendors to make sure their products fit. (examples being the narroed rear frame rails (2" inward on each side and worked directly with Stainless Works to make sure their headers and sidepipes fit perfectly before the chassis got to us). Any engine and tranny mount combination are available.

Customer Service: I have met with Mike Stockdale at Carlisle the last two years and talked/emailed with him many times. Customer service and response have always been number one for us.

Price: Pricing was competitive and many options (bare, prime and paint, powdercoating, full rollers, C4 or C5 front suspension options, coilovers, body panels, and more) available at reasonable costs. Cost was also reduced as you don't have to ship your frame out to be done and ship it back to you. That adds up a lot.

The above plus the fact that we like the "race-car" tube frame look are some of the reasons why we use SRIII. But like I said, anyone considering a replacement frame should do their own research and make a decision that is right for them. There are many good (and a couple maybe not-so-good) options out there.

ps: Z062 and Cbern... - Beautiful rides and my hats off to you for doing your own fabrication work. :thumbs:

grizzlyalan 02-28-2007 08:21 PM

I went with the Newman Car Creations conversion mainly because I wanted to convert using ALL corvette parts and with very little modifications. The C4 suspension parts are a direct bolt in less the rear steer arms and lower shock mounts. and only two body mods. inner fenderwell to clear the new front crossmember and a small patch in the spare tire well to clear the diff. After I bought the Newman chassis I got a chance to look at Billy Dawsons Corvette Correction chassis at the Corvette/Chevy Expo in Houston this year. Very nice setup. it requires the same body mods as the Newman's but he has eleminated the X-member allowing the engine and trans to set lower between the frame rails. lower center of gravity and more hood clearance. The rear suspension utilizes a modified batwing and pinion snubber which allows room for the exhaust system past the rear axle. I think if I had to do it again I would go with Corvette Correction. I looked at Art Morrisons chassis and progressive's chassis about 4 years ago but did not like them because of the extensive body modifications. The dog bones mount to the frame high enough that you have to modify the fuel tank well and the convertible top storage area. There are a lot of choices out there now days just do some research and ask alot of questions. Good luck Alan

firstgear 02-28-2007 08:27 PM

next car I do, I will go with Art Morrison. Primairly because of the name and reputation. Great name among hot rodders and supplies frames to Foose and some of the other big name builders.

He supplies a complete set up where some of the other ones don't worry about some of the details like headers, attaching the bumpers, etc. His design takes that into consideration.

This is also his 3G frame design. 1G acceleration, 1G turning and 1G braking!

bleu65vt 04-12-2007 04:25 PM

Rich Lagasse used Paul Newman aka Car Creations for his frame on his '62 Vette. Check his site:
http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c5/richs7/index7.shtml

mredi1 04-12-2007 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by smiley-ro (Post 1559151948)
Who has or knows of someone who has replaced his frame on a c-1 to a c4 or 5 suspension? I have looked at Paul Neuman, Street Shop, on a stock type frame, or SRIII with a tube frame. They all use the more modern Aluminum suspensions, but is there an advantage one over the other. I am talking about cost, modification, & preformance. Roger Orton

There is a thread with a C2 and Streetshps chassis - http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1590723. It is a C2 suspension/Dana 44 rear, tremec 5 speed and LS2 engine. The Streetshops chassis was selected because the body did not have to be cut to fit the chassis (rear floor area) like on some other chassis. The Tremec was also selected as the floor pan did not have to be cut versus a 6 speed. Just some thoughts.

kwkenuf 04-12-2007 08:15 PM

I'll jump on the Corvette Correction Billy Dawson bandwagon. After much research and talking with a few vendors I went with Billy. I pick up my frame and a bunch of other parts on Tuesday. T-56 tranny will fit without modifying the tunnel and only needs the same minor body mods as the others (trim front inner fender-wells for suspension clearance and modify spare tire well to clear the rear steer). Billy is exceptionally knowledgeable and easy to talk to. He stocks lots of parts to make the conversion easier and is price competitive.

aworks 04-13-2007 06:03 AM

I used the SRIII chassis. No problems at all. I would use one again if I where to build that type of car again. I also think the Dawson frame is very nice and well built. I chose the SRIII because I could get the track width close to stock. I do not like late model corvette wheels on the older cars. But thats just me. When you look at my 60 it looks bone stock except for the kidny beans.[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...9/0f5bf6c4.jpg[/IMG]