CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Canadian Events (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/canadian-events-97/)
-   -   Why do you need the X-pipe? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/canadian-events/1641736-why-do-you-need-the-x-pipe.html)

SICK-VETTE 03-06-2007 07:53 AM

Why do you need the X-pipe?

Why do you need the X-pipe and can i run the car with out one????

corrado 03-06-2007 09:57 AM

You don't NEED an X pipe. The car comes stock with an H pipe, (pretty sure the C 5 did at least). Supposedly an X pipe will flow better and eliminate some of the popping on deceleration with an aftermarket exhaust, but damn, thats part of the fun in an exhaust!
As long as the car doesn't have a Y pipe, I don't see much difference between an H and an X, probably a lil different sound is all. If it IS a Y pipe, you WILL want to replace it as that is not a true duel exhaust.

Some people will tell you an X pipe is better than an H pipe, but I think its al lopinion, and opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one.

Then again, I am no expert, so get some more opinions please!

FFIN90 03-06-2007 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by SICK-VETTE (Post 1559246482)

I do, I left the original H pipe when I added my Corsa exhaust and I think it sounds just fine.:)

SICK-VETTE 03-06-2007 12:19 PM

what about if i take out the h-pipe and the x-pipe and do straight pipe?

OhioDave 03-06-2007 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by SICK-VETTE (Post 1559246482)

This is probably more than anyone needs to know about an X-Pipe. Does have some test results etc. compared to H-Pipe.

Hope it helps. :thumbs:

http://www.vetteweb.com/tech/0307vet...formance_info/

vipersj 03-06-2007 12:41 PM

Running straight pipes is always a cool option, sound wise.

Generally the x-pipe option (also referred to as a balance-pipe) is to balance the flow availability and efficiency out of the engine and therefore make a more efficient engine, more power, ..blah,blah,blah...

It is not necessary to run x or h-pipes but on non-blueprinted engines (like a mass-produced engine), it will help with power and efficiency.

MotorHead 03-06-2007 11:38 PM

H and X pipes work on the scavenging principal, that being a pulse from one bank of the motor creates a small vacuum in the x or h pipe and therefore the next pulse will have less restriction or in other words will be pulled along the pipe by the vacuum resulting in a small power increase. The only difference I can see between an X and H pipe is that the X pipe probably flows better by it's design. :thumbs:

4GTABODT 03-07-2007 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by SICK-VETTE (Post 1559249885)
what about if i take out the h-pipe and the x-pipe and do straight pipe?

When I had my LT headers put in last year, I had the shop install hi-flo cats and straight 3" pipes all the way back to the Corsa's...no H or X pipe. Car sounds great and what I loose on the "X" factor, I gain from having larger pipes.

For stock exhaust, the x pipe definatlely helps but on a custom exhaust, their advantage is negligable

Cdn Z06 Mike 03-07-2007 08:37 AM

Lots of opinions and facts and all will vary depending on the application you are running. With stock you will have an advantage with the X or H pipe but general agreement is that the X pipe does function slightly better and provides better balance in the exhaust. Running straight pipes will give you the sweetest sound but depending on if your engine if stock or modified should reflect the diameter you use on your exhaust. Going too big could cost you some torque on a stock motor but will provide greater flow at high speeds for better HP top end. I suggest always have a plan on what you intend to do before you do it. Work from there. If major engine mods are in your future then plan your exhaust for that so it will work best and you are not having to install new exhaust all over again. etc etc

SICK-VETTE 03-07-2007 11:10 AM

ok im going to go with the magnaflow exhaust and the stock H-pipe for now and see how that goes... thank you everyone that help...:thumbs:

4GTABODT 03-07-2007 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Cdn ZR1 Mike (Post 1559262139)
Lots of opinions and facts and all will vary depending on the application you are running. With stock you will have an advantage with the X or H pipe but general agreement is that the X pipe does function slightly better and provides better balance in the exhaust. Running straight pipes will give you the sweetest sound but depending on if your engine if stock or modified should reflect the diameter you use on your exhaust. Going too big could cost you some torque on a stock motor but will provide greater flow at high speeds for better HP top end. I suggest always have a plan on what you intend to do before you do it. Work from there. If major engine mods are in your future then plan your exhaust for that so it will work best and you are not having to install new exhaust all over again. etc etc

Good point Mike. All my engine/drivetrain mods were done with top end speed in mind. Not being a 1/4 mile guy, I want my power band to be at the mid/upper range of my RPM curve and so you're right, the larger pipes will give me that.

That way, when I'm cruising and some pesky ZR-1 one pulls up and hits it, I can run with him for at least a little bit :lol:

:cheers: