CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   [Z06] Z06 vs. FRC, differences... is it worth it? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/1643193-z06-vs-frc-differences-is-it-worth-it.html)

OutKlast 03-07-2007 06:10 PM

Z06 vs. FRC, differences... is it worth it?

I've recently been looking to purchase a vette in particular a Z06 but my budget is definitely on the low side for a Z06 so cars I can afford and that fit what I'd like are somewhat few and far between. I have however seen quite a few FRC's 1999-2001 years with low miles (under 50k) for well within my budget. My needs for a vette are also probably quite different then what I have seen for most of the forum members here. I'm looking for a daily driver, 365 days a year, 10-12k per year in mileage, decent gas mileage 17 or so city, 27-28 hwy. For that reason even if I could afford it complete garage queens with real low miles under 15k don't interest me. I'm interested in the "sweet spot" around 25-45k on miles. I plan on keeping the car for about 4 years and would like to keep it under 100k with the mileage I put on it. And also with my light budget for a Z06 and spring approaching my vehicle selection for Z06's is thinning even more.

This brings me to the meat of the discussion what are the true differences between the FRC and Z06. I've done quite a bit of reading on the subject and here is what I've come up with LS1 vs. LS6 lower stock power, less aggressive sway-bars/rear-springs on the FRC, MN6 vs. MN12, heavier glass on a FRC but not by much. And also it seems corvettes in general received an updated Active handling update around 2001 but most FRC's I see are a little older and thus have the previous generation Active Handling. My biggest concern because I'd like to settle into keeping this car for 4 years is that if I do go FRC my mod list is going to start to pile up Z06 type items and I will have spent in mod money the price differential between a FRC and Z06 yet I will have gained non of the resale value. But overall unfortunately my perception of differences between the FRC and Z06 are all what I've read off paper I don't know what this really means in real terms if it really makes much of a difference.

SteveDoten 03-07-2007 06:19 PM

I'd spend the $$ on some nice CCW's and a blower or heads/cam

here's my FRC, Z clone, $16,000 back in '05

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a96...e/bg/bg047.jpg

76REDVETTE 03-07-2007 06:26 PM

Its complicated because you may save money up front by buying a FRC and then adding mods to put it at Z06 performance level but by the time you have added these parts you really won't be saving that much money. Not to mention when you go to sell the car you will get FRC money no matter what kind of mods are on the car. I say buy a Z06 and when you go to re-sell it you will get Z06 money.

rustyguns 03-07-2007 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by 76REDVETTE (Post 1559270370)
Its complicated because you may save money up front by buying a FRC and then adding mods to put it at Z06 performance level but by the time you have added these parts you really won't be saving that much money. Not to mention when you go to sell the car you will get FRC money no matter what kind of mods are on the car. I say buy a Z06 and when you go to re-sell it you will get Z06 money.

:iagree: perfecto explanation! :thumbs:

BlackZ06 03-07-2007 06:36 PM

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said .... "My biggest concern because I'd like to settle into keeping this car for 4 years is that if I do go FRC my mod list is going to start to pile up Z06 type items and I will have spent in mod money the price differential between a FRC and Z06 yet I will have gained non of the resale value."

Maybe a better way to look at it is this ....

First ... buy what you can reasonably afford. Let's assume that's an FRC. Once you have the car, drive it for a couple of weeks and then sit down and make up a mod list based on the following question ...

"What can I do to make the car more to my liking while continuing to have a reliable daily driver"

I would do this, rather than set as a goal to end up with a "Z06 clone". For one thing, you might find the stiffer suspension, for example, of a Z06 is more than you want for a daily driver. You might find, based on your commute, that an automatic is a better choice than the manual. Believe me ... I've been stuck in heavy traffic in my Z06 a few times and it does become an issue having to clutch, roll a few feet, stop, and then do it all over again and again and again....

The Z06 is a great car, but may not (or may) be the best fit for your needs. Kinda like, hey an Escalade is a great SUV ... but doesn't fit my needs.

If you add mods that you want, then the money spent will have a payback in pleasure. Certainly ANY money you throw into a car is hard to justify from an "investment" point of view. Look at the return in miles of smiles instead .....

HTH :cheers:

mountainbiker2 03-07-2007 06:36 PM

If you can afford a Z06 then I would buy that. From what I read is that you can't. Then just buy the FRC. If you feel the desire to go faster then for about $4k you can do headers, cam and a better air cleaner. With these changes you will get about 370rwhp. You can change the rear gears to a 3.90 for about $2k. Then your FRC will be faster then a Z06. You can do all this when money is available. That's what I did.

Steve

OutKlast 03-07-2007 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by BlackZ06 (Post 1559270475)
I think you hit the nail on the head when you said .... "My biggest concern because I'd like to settle into keeping this car for 4 years is that if I do go FRC my mod list is going to start to pile up Z06 type items and I will have spent in mod money the price differential between a FRC and Z06 yet I will have gained non of the resale value."

Maybe a better way to look at it is this ....

First ... buy what you can reasonably afford. Let's assume that's an FRC. Once you have the car, drive it for a couple of weeks and then sit down and make up a mod list based on the following question ...

"What can I do to make the car more to my liking while continuing to have a reliable daily driver"

I would do this, rather than set as a goal to end up with a "Z06 clone". For one thing, you might find the stiffer suspension, for example, of a Z06 is more than you want for a daily driver. You might find, based on your commute, that an automatic is a better choice than the manual. Believe me ... I've been stuck in heavy traffic in my Z06 a few times and it does become an issue having to clutch, roll a few feet, stop, and then do it all over again and again and again....

The Z06 is a great car, but may not (or may) be the best fit for your needs. Kinda like, hey an Escalade is a great SUV ... but doesn't fit my needs.

If you add mods that you want, then the money spent will have a payback in pleasure. Certainly ANY money you throw into a car is hard to justify from an "investment" point of view. Look at the return in miles of smiles instead .....

I'm not to concerned about the Z06 or FRC not being a good daily driver. I have a camaro now with a 18/19 combo at 44psi. So I'm ok with a rough ride as the Camaro sits now I practically have to wear a mouthguard to keep from chipping my teeth when going over bridges but thats how I like my ride super firm. I also don't think I'll mind manual to much my Camaro is an auto but Florida drivers are nuts so I avoid rush hour driving so 95% of my driving is free and clear.

BlackZ06 03-07-2007 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by OutKlast (Post 1559270626)
I'm not to concerned about the Z06 or FRC not being a good daily driver. I have a camaro now with a 18/19 combo at 44psi. So I'm ok with a rough ride as the Camaro sits now I practically have to wear a mouthguard to keep from chipping my teeth when going over bridges but thats how I like my ride super firm. I also don't think I'll mind manual to much my Camaro is an auto but Florida drivers are nuts so I avoid rush hour driving so 95% of my driving is free and clear.

OK ... that makes sense ... then I'll try and answer the other part of your original post ...

"But overall unfortunately my perception of differences between the FRC and Z06 are all what I've read off paper I don't know what this really means in real terms if it really makes much of a difference."

The Z06 was built based on the FRC ... but the following changes were made to change the entire "character" of the car ...

Curb weight of the FRC is 3,174, the 2001 Z06 is 3,115 which at first glance doesn't seem like a big difference, but remember the Z06 has larger wheels and tires, heavier anti-roll bars, and an upgraded clutch and differential. So how did Chevy get the Z06 to weigh less than an FRC ?? By the use of a titanium exhaust system, thinner windows, elimination of certain options (fog lamps, power passenger seat) etc. to keep the weight down as much as possible. So remember, you're starting with a weight disadvantage with an FRC, and any mods you add to the car will make the difference bigger.

The LS6 (Z06) engine has two main advantages over the LS1 in the FRC. First (duh ...) it has more torque and HP ... The 2001 Z06 has 385 HP, the 2002 and up have 405 HP. The FRC was rated at 345 HP. Second the LS6 engine has a higher redline 6,500 RPM versus the 6,000 RPM redline for the FRC engines.

With the higher redline, a different transmission (actually it's the gear ratios that are different ... the trannys look identical) is used for the Z06 ... gears 1-2-3 are about 10 percent higher than the same gears in the FRC tranny. This matches the 10 percent higher redline so that the Z06 has a gear advantage in acceleration runs. 4th gear in both trannys are the same (1:1) and 5 and 6 are slightly different. Ironically because of the higher 5th gear in the FRC it actually has a higher top speed rating than the Z06.

Finally, the Z06 suspension is upgraded with a larger front anti-roll bar, different rear spring rate, larger (and stickier) tires (Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires) on larger rims ( 1 inch wider front and rear) , and the suspension alignment has more negative camber dialed into it.

There are other touches such as rear brake cooling ducts, but bottom line, with the "right" mods, you can most likely build up an FRC to be, performance wise, as good as, or better than, a stock Z06.

The problem is ... say you invest $6,000.00 in mods to get a car that is as fast as a Z06 ... that same money invested in a Z06 is just gonna make it that much faster too .... so you gotta consider that you're fighting an uphill battle to "catch" the Z06 ... the Z06 just starts from a higher level of performance than the FRC.

Sleazy Rider 03-07-2007 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by 76REDVETTE (Post 1559270370)

also :iagree: that's why i bought a Z instead of a FRC. for the difference in money, add up the difference in years and the added performance of the Z, it came to a no brainer...Z. i started with what i wanted to build to, no down time or constantly working to make the mods, and i enjoy the car now. and i feel that the Z will be more of a collectors car in the future than any other C5 in years to come.

Tuk 03-07-2007 08:40 PM

Not exactly true Black Z06. I have a FRC and I'm more than satisfied with it. You have to first take into account the large price difference. Sometimes an upwards of $8k with comparable cars. If you choose a FRC and could have afforded the Z06, now you have all that money to not only upgrade the FRC, but far surpass the Z06 in terms of performance. You can get an aftermarket cam and a set of ported LS6 heads and tune and you'll still be under the price of the Z. Albeit the the horsepower difference from the factory, I don't think theres a big difference between the two cars. Either way you've already choosen the body style thats faster and looks better so the battle it already won. :thumbs:

sapper1 03-07-2007 08:43 PM

Z06 or FRC

if you buy a FRC now you will probably only thinkof wanting a Z06 later:willy: it really is never ending, do your home work because there are alot of affordable nice Z's out there.

Good luck

OutKlast 03-07-2007 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by BlackZ06 (Post 1559271983)
OK ... that makes sense ... then I'll try and answer the other part of your original post ...

"But overall unfortunately my perception of differences between the FRC and Z06 are all what I've read off paper I don't know what this really means in real terms if it really makes much of a difference."

The Z06 was built based on the FRC ... but the following changes were made to change the entire "character" of the car ...

Curb weight of the FRC is 3,174, the 2001 Z06 is 3,115 which at first glance doesn't seem like a big difference, but remember the Z06 has larger wheels and tires, heavier anti-roll bars, and an upgraded clutch and differential. So how did Chevy get the Z06 to weigh less than an FRC ?? By the use of a titanium exhaust system, thinner windows, elimination of certain options (fog lamps, power passenger seat) etc. to keep the weight down as much as possible. So remember, you're starting with a weight disadvantage with an FRC, and any mods you add to the car will make the difference bigger.

The LS6 (Z06) engine has two main advantages over the LS1 in the FRC. First (duh ...) it has more torque and HP ... The 2001 Z06 has 385 HP, the 2002 and up have 405 HP. The FRC was rated at 345 HP. Second the LS6 engine has a higher redline 6,500 RPM versus the 6,000 RPM redline for the FRC engines.

With the higher redline, a different transmission (actually it's the gear ratios that are different ... the trannys look identical) is used for the Z06 ... gears 1-2-3 are about 10 percent higher than the same gears in the FRC tranny. This matches the 10 percent higher redline so that the Z06 has a gear advantage in acceleration runs. 4th gear in both trannys are the same (1:1) and 5 and 6 are slightly different. Ironically because of the higher 5th gear in the FRC it actually has a higher top speed rating than the Z06.

Finally, the Z06 suspension is upgraded with a larger front anti-roll bar, different rear spring rate, larger (and stickier) tires (Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires) on larger rims ( 1 inch wider front and rear) , and the suspension alignment has more negative camber dialed into it.

There are other touches such as rear brake cooling ducts, but bottom line, with the "right" mods, you can most likely build up an FRC to be, performance wise, as good as, or better than, a stock Z06.

The problem is ... say you invest $6,000.00 in mods to get a car that is as fast as a Z06 ... that same money invested in a Z06 is just gonna make it that much faster too .... so you gotta consider that you're fighting an uphill battle to "catch" the Z06 ... the Z06 just starts from a higher level of performance than the FRC.

Good post. I think I'm going to hold out a little longer see what crops up. I'm watching a few Vette's on Ebay. I think its probably better for me to start off with the Z06 as its already well-balanced and put together and then a year or so down the road when I've become accustomed to its pros/cons I can begin tweaking. I think if I bought an FRC it might be a "it has to be bigger then what the Z06 has" and I'd end up with massive tires, T1 bars and a jet pack.

Still interested in hearing any other viewpoints. I'm not totally considered about the pure power differential I think whether it be an LS1 or LS6 they're both probably more then enough power for me at my current skill level. I think anymore might get me into trouble. I kind of lean towards a well rounded and dependable car over something skirting the edge of sensibility. I've already settled on when I do decided to go H/C update its going to be a more conservative cam setup. Not looking to set an records just a smooth powerband and street manners.

SteveDoten 03-07-2007 09:02 PM

$1000 in a cam, UD pulley, valvesprings and materials will put around 400-420rwhp easily

If you want yellow, blue or silver buy the Z

Ryan L 03-07-2007 11:14 PM

These threads always baffle me. Just because they share a roof, why do people think they are similar?

vms4evr 03-08-2007 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by Tuk (Post 1559272248)
Not exactly true Black Z06. I have a FRC and I'm more than satisfied with it. You have to first take into account the large price difference. Sometimes an upwards of $8k with comparable cars. If you choose a FRC and could have afforded the Z06, now you have all that money to not only upgrade the FRC, but far surpass the Z06 in terms of performance. You can get an aftermarket cam and a set of ported LS6 heads and tune and you'll still be under the price of the Z. Albeit the the horsepower difference from the factory, I don't think theres a big difference between the two cars. Either way you've already choosen the body style thats faster and looks better so the battle it already won. :thumbs:

If you define performance as who can put down the most Hp on a dyno then your solution works. The original poster could just keep his Camaro and do that to the LS1 in it. On the dyno or a drag strip he would give a Z06 a good run for its money with a lower investment.

I look at the performance of the Z06 as a package. Yes GM juiced up the LS1 and created an LS6 with more HP/TQ. They took their concept from the original FRC. Put a fair bit of effort into making a well balanced sports car that handles really well for those of us who want to do more than go fast in a straight line. The Z06 is a complete package, not a 405HP engine. You'll have to do a lot more than just stuff a cam and headers in an FRC to get the same car.

Now all that said. If I was pressed on money. I would get the 99 FRC. Then as I got some play money I would make improvements where it counts for my personal goal. So for me I would improve the handling first. So it'll never be a Z06, so what. If that is what you can afford, then go for it and have fun.

If your heart is absolutely set on the Z06 then maybe wait a while longer. Save that mod money you were going to invest in an FRC and put it towards the Z06.

overBlown 03-08-2007 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by Ryan L (Post 1559274679)
These threads always baffle me. Just because they share a roof, why do people think they are similar?

i agree.

Z06 R.Ph. 03-08-2007 12:47 AM

Well I will add my 0.2 cents worth. I have owned a 99 corvette frc and currently own an 02 Z06. The FRC is an outstanding car. It is an easier car to ride in for both city and highway driving. It is not as stiff of a ride as the Z06. The clutch in the FRC was not as hard to push and therefore was better to drive in the city. The Z06 to me is a much different type car. It is more aggressive in terms of performance and ride. Different people have different levels of tolerance for how a daily driver should feel. I would not want to have to drive my Z06 as my daily driver. The ride is too stiff and it takes more effort to drive the car. My FRC was more comfortable to ride in and did not tire me out as much as the Z06 does if I go for a 90 minute plus drive. I considered during performance upgrades on the FRC, but in the long run I felt that I would lose money plus many people are concerned about buying a car that is not stock. I got the Z06 for the performace factor. Either way you go, you will be getting a great car.

Tuk 03-08-2007 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by vms4evr (Post 1559275404)
If you define performance as who can put down the most Hp on a dyno then your solution works. The original poster could just keep his Camaro and do that to the LS1 in it. On the dyno or a drag strip he would give a Z06 a good run for its money with a lower investment.

you can hardly compare a camaro to any C5, you took my point out of perspective were talking Z51 compared to Z06 suspension.

dagon138 03-08-2007 03:08 AM

Unless you can get a awesome deal on FRC (and you usually can't) then I'd suggest the Z06.

meadowz06 03-08-2007 07:03 AM

I had a FRC and now I have a Z06. Very different cars. Different motor, different transmission, different suspension. The FRC is a great car, but simply not on the same level with a Z06!