CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Autocrossing & Roadracing (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing-23/)
-   -   What you don't want to see at the track! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing/1647106-what-you-dont-want-to-see-at-the-track.html)

John Shiels 03-12-2007 07:58 AM

What you don't want to see at the track!

:sadangel: http://www.metacafe.com/watch/445732..._and_serious_c

Jim 47 03-12-2007 09:32 AM

Great video to watch before you go to a HPDE:eek:

I think that bad mishaps like these are more in my mind as I get older, so as a result, I get slower and more cautious.

Thanks for reminding us that there can be true danger on the track.:blueangel:

Jim

John Shiels 03-12-2007 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Jim 47 (Post 1559331014)
Great video to watch before you go to a HPDE:eek:

I think that bad mishaps like these are more in my mind as I get older, so as a result, I get slower and more cautious.

Thanks for reminding us that there can be true danger on the track.:blueangel:

Jim

you mean your getting wiser!

Umrswimr 03-12-2007 09:41 AM

Man, those are hard to watch sometimes. You know the ones that burst into flames were probably fatal. :nonod:

B-ras 03-12-2007 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Umrswimr (Post 1559331108)
Man, those are hard to watch sometimes. You know the ones that burst into flames were probably fatal. :nonod:

:iagree: It makes my stomach hurt. Those open wheel guys in particular are ballzy.

Umrswimr 03-12-2007 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by abraswell (Post 1559331560)
:iagree: It makes my stomach hurt. Those open wheel guys in particular are insane.

Fixed it for ya.

John Shiels 03-12-2007 10:27 AM

:iagree: It makes my stomach hurt. Those open wheel guys in particular are ballzy.

Sir Sterling Moss was on Wind Tunnel last night he was talking about pre 65 racing were there were not even seat belts. That is why you cannot compare todays drivers who smash up a car and get a new one to a Fangio who knew a mistake could have a good chance of being fatal. Two different worlds in his opinion.

Miaugi 03-12-2007 10:50 AM

It makes my stomach hurt. Those open wheel guys in particular are ballzy.

:iagree: :eek:

B-ras 03-12-2007 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by John Shiels (Post 1559331598)
Sir Sterling Moss was on Wind Tunnel last night he was talking about pre 65 racing were there were not even seat belts. That is why you cannot compare todays drivers who smash up a car and get a new one to a Fangio who knew a mistake could have a good chance of being fatal. Two different worlds in his opinion.

I'm sorry I missed that interview. I've read that they resisted seatbelts because they actually hoped to be thrown clear of the bomb they were riding in the event of a big crash. :eek:

John Shiels 03-12-2007 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by abraswell (Post 1559332618)
I'm sorry I missed that interview. I've read that they resisted seatbelts because they actually hoped to be thrown clear of the bomb they were riding in the event of a big crash. :eek:

yep he said they were afraid of fire so no belts. They needed a whole night with him very nice with NO big head or ego

z060ntrack 03-13-2007 12:58 PM

I don't know John, kind of hard to believe someone puts this carnage to music. I was there in Toronto the year that Jeff Krosnoff (the first crash in video) was killed as well as Gary Arvio a track worker. Kind of tough to watch.

Kevin

BrianCunningham 03-13-2007 02:07 PM

I talked to another corner worker who was there at the accident.
The other man at his corner has the top of his head taken off. :sadangel:

anotherone 03-13-2007 05:32 PM

Very sobering, I have my 2nd trackday coming in may. Cojones may be shrinking.:eek: I think the music was to the point and I liked it.:thumbs:

73-84 IMSA Widebody 03-13-2007 08:31 PM

It takes BIG ONES, hell I'm scared driveing to work half the time:thumbs:
Great video, and bless those killed or injured.

63Corvette 03-13-2007 11:12 PM

I believe Sterling Moss made a quote "similar" to this one:

"A man can drive his whole career taking each corner just below his capability, and may even win some races. But that man is no 'racing driver'. It is a very different thing to go flat out around a corner with smooth grass for a runoff, and quite a different thing to go flat on a corner with a stone house for the apex and NO runoff."

I'm sure that I haven't got the quote right, but you get the picture.:eek:

TRACKMAN2 03-13-2007 11:52 PM

come on man? what we do is dangerous for sure but most of those vids are just for crash junkies... of every one of those crashes there were thousands of safe laps... i have lost freinds in motor sports crashes but to quit or be shook buy the fact that the danger is what makes it real..would be unjust to there memories ..... if you want safe get an x box ... but if you want to experience life at its best there is risk involved buisness life and love......:thumbs: