CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Canadian Events (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/canadian-events-97/)
-   -   Long tube headers. (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/canadian-events/1649701-long-tube-headers.html)

FOLDNTOP 03-14-2007 09:43 PM

Long tube headers.

Been considering puting long tubes on the car. Thinking of coated TPIS run through my stock cats and into the corsa X pipe. If I get the oxy sensers connected properly can I expect code issues.
My thoughts are that I should not need a tune. Certainly don't want the car set too rich. Only need the headers for short extra blasts from time to time. Not runiing at wot for long periods.
I see that Autoworks sells Kooks. Any thoughts from you guys that have them about which are best.
I put headers on earlier cars with no issues but let me know if there are C5 horror stories as I do not want to mess up a car that is performing flawlessly now.
Thanks in advance. :cheers:

use2bl8 03-14-2007 11:06 PM

Do you attend any race events? Are you trying to improve your times?
If so I would recommend a tune with the headers to get the most out of them.

Don't know of any issues, cause I've never put headers on a C5.

Autoworx put used LT headers and ORY pipe on my Camaro. But with the maganflow cat-back it's too loud for a daily driver. Did you hear it when I was over to pick-up the stock cat-back?

Jeff

GettReal 03-14-2007 11:16 PM

I have the TPIS, Coated LTs...stock cats and corsa back.. I didnt have mine tuned when I put them on but when I did the Dyno at Redline I found I was running pretty lean.. You might want to get a tune with them. :thumbs:

FOLDNTOP 03-14-2007 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by GettReal (Post 1559371699)
I have the TPIS, Coated LTs...stock cats and corsa back.. I didnt have mine tuned when I put them on but when I did the Dyno at Redline I found I was running pretty lean.. You might want to get a tune with them. :thumbs:

I have no experience with Redline would you recommend them?

GettReal 03-14-2007 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by FOLDNTOP (Post 1559371740)
I have no experience with Redline would you recommend them?

I dont really either... I just got a dyno from them on the forum dyno day. My car was tuned by Arun "forum member eb02z06" He does an awesome job tuning C5's..look him up for sure:thumbs:

JETZ 03-15-2007 06:26 AM

Hi Jim!
I had the TPIS coated headers, and to be honest, I didn't think I had headers. I really could not hear them, and improvement over stock was...marginal at best.

I replaced them with JET-hot LG Pros, Random Tech cats, Xpipe, all 3'' to my Borlas. Like night & day!

Frank :cheers:

MSTRBLUE 03-15-2007 10:45 AM

Don't know for sure but I have heard that some people opt to replace the plug wires due to excessive heat from the headers.

FOLDNTOP 03-15-2007 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by JETZ (Post 1559373862)
Hi Jim!
I had the TPIS coated headers, and to be honest, I didn't think I had headers. I really could not hear them, and improvement over stock was...marginal at best.

I replaced them with JET-hot LG Pros, Random Tech cats, Xpipe, all 3'' to my Borlas. Like night & day!

Do you think that the Random Cats represent the biggest difference.? To me most long tubes have the same diameter primary pipes. Could it be low restriction cats that make the noise and power difference?

JETZ 03-16-2007 06:39 AM

The LG's have a longer collector, the whole system is 3'', and the cats are very low restriction units.

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?doc...22051657989967

corrado 03-16-2007 09:20 AM

Does anyone know if installing headers will void the warranty? As I know it, the dealer would only void the headers themselves, cause they are not factory, but I could be wrong. Do i have to wait till the warranty is over before installing some? Thinking of LGs, they are expensive, but seem to be the best, you get what you pay for!

I think I just hijacked this threrad...Soooooooory!

Hemi Mag 03-16-2007 01:57 PM

It is on the dealership to prove that the headers caused the problem.

AC

FOLDNTOP 03-16-2007 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by corrado (Post 1559389825)
Does anyone know if installing headers will void the warranty? As I know it, the dealer would only void the headers themselves, cause they are not factory, but I could be wrong. Do i have to wait till the warranty is over before installing some? Thinking of LGs, they are expensive, but seem to be the best, you get what you pay for!

I think I just hijacked this threrad...Soooooooory!

Warranty?. That's long gone on my girl. By they way she never needed warranty repairs. Canadians have reputation of being fixated on warranties. Don't know if it is a cultural insecurity or what... but they are all seen as very influenced by warranty.

This thread is about the best long tube headers. :cheers:

7t2vette 03-16-2007 09:55 PM

As far as I know, the LG's are the way to go; I believe they make the most hp in header tests. :cheers:

FOLDNTOP 03-17-2007 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by JETZ (Post 1559388734)
The LG's have a longer collector, the whole system is 3'', and the cats are very low restriction units.

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?doc...22051657989967

Frank,

Sounds more and more like the LG's are the way to go. And with the LG's its the pro's not the streets I presume. Also would have to get the cats and 3 inch pipe due to the lengths of tube and collector. That looks like it will run around 1900 US before shipping and taxes. (Last car I put headers on was a C3 and they were black jacks I think they were under $200.)

Did you have any problem with 02 sensors?

I don't think it will snarl as much through stock TI's

Now I have to convince myself that "I need them" the "I want them" is already taken care of...:cheers:

GettReal 03-17-2007 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by JETZ (Post 1559373862)
Hi Jim!

most of you have heard my car...When I had only TPIS headers and Corsa exhaust...I could hear them :) with that set up and Vortex air I was at 325 rwhp without a tune. I think stock is about 308'ish

After the header install, it was somewhat noticable in performance but to be totally honest, I think its hard to really "feel" 10-30 rwhp extra...I think most of it is all in your head :)

I can tell the difference how that I have the cam and tune...but that was close to a 50hp increase.

The LGs became the hot header to have on C5 General after I got mine so they may be the better one but more expensive for sure.. depends what your ultimate goals are for the car I suppose. :thumbs:

FOLDNTOP 03-18-2007 03:47 PM

I've done more reading and here is what I think.

-LG Pro's with high flow cats and pipes look like the best design. Tri Y mandrel bent 32 inch tubes with scavenger collectors. Combined with high flow cats and 3 inch pipes you have headers that improve a stock engine and a set-up ready to handle future engine modifications. At this point in time this looks like the "gold standard" setup.

- TPIS, Kooks Melrose & LG steets etc similar designs with industry standard collectors. Combined with high flow cats (2.5 inch dia)expected to provide good performance and probably impossible to feel any difference between these and LG Pro's on a steet car. Prices with high flow cats and X pipes similar for all of these. Any of these combinations would be at least $500US cheaper than the LG Pro's.

High flow cats provide signifigant improvement in flow and probably necessary to get the max performanve from any headers. Probably the single item responsible for the O2 code problems. Seems like rear o2 sensor simulators would take care of this.

Thus for me the choices are:

1.TPIS and high flow cats welded into my Corsa x pipe (requires shop and welding)or,

2. Replace it all with LG Pro's. (bolt on installation)

I figure the LG's will cost about 500-1000 more.

TPIS and Melrose appear to be readily available coated which improves long term appearance. LG's are 304 stainless and I would leave them that way.

Do I need long tube headers? Probably not. Do I want long tube headers? Yeah! Will I get them??? Hope so.

Any of the above mentioned products look to be good quality.

Thanks for all the comments. :cheers:

JUSTAKAR 03-18-2007 05:50 PM

Good research

Jimmy,
Good research here now....whatever the decision ..... is it an install and tune or what? Do you go local or go for a drive ? many good shops within an overnight drive...the way I see it...needs the headers installed and tune....to get best results...keep communicating as I am in for same deal.
Ian:cheers:

Balistik 03-19-2007 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by FOLDNTOP (Post 1559370308)
Been considering puting long tubes on the car. Thinking of coated TPIS run through my stock cats and into the corsa X pipe. If I get the oxy sensers connected properly can I expect code issues.
My thoughts are that I should not need a tune. Certainly don't want the car set too rich. Only need the headers for short extra blasts from time to time. Not runiing at wot for long periods.
I see that Autoworks sells Kooks. Any thoughts from you guys that have them about which are best.
I put headers on earlier cars with no issues but let me know if there are C5 horror stories as I do not want to mess up a car that is performing flawlessly now.
Thanks in advance. :cheers:

just installed all stainless dynatech headers with high flow cats, x pipe and corsa's souds pretty nice, on a c5 today and on a c6 with corsa's last week...it has quite the bark when u step on i, if that's your thing. But if you don't want to get noticed the stock mufflers sound great. And yes you should get it tuned for various reasons.The nicest headers i have installed to date are the tuned slp's.