CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   X-pipe or elims (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/1657526-x-pipe-or-elims.html)

lt4obsesses 03-23-2007 03:25 PM

X-pipe or elims

I have heard some of the clips of muffler eliminated cars. From my computer they sound cool. What I want is a more aggressive sound without waking up the neighborhood.

Now, I think that either an x-pipe, or elims will do this. Although it seems that elims would be louder. But it seems that the x-pipe would help with performance.

BTW I have an lt4, and plan on long tubes at some point.

vetteboy95 03-23-2007 05:43 PM

I did the x-pipe about a month ago. No difference in sound (LT1). It did rev better and definitely gets going quicker. Highly recommend it. I had the elims done last weekend. Sounds awesome. I'd actually like it louder. It won't wake up the neighborhood. They'll know it's louder, but if you don't get on it, it's not obnoxious. Another highly recommend from me.

LT4BUD 03-23-2007 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses (Post 1559506802)
I have heard some of the clips of muffler eliminated cars. From my computer they sound cool. What I want is a more aggressive sound without waking up the neighborhood.

Now, I think that either an x-pipe, or elims will do this. Although it seems that elims would be louder. But it seems that the x-pipe would help with performance.

BTW I have an lt4, and plan on long tubes at some point.

Doing both eliminators and x-pipe will really wake up the neighborhood..

Doing long tube and free flow cats will really wake up the car..

:cheers:

SHINOBI-X 03-23-2007 10:31 PM

I did both and it really did wake up some performance uptop.:thumbs:

lt4obsesses 03-24-2007 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by LT4BUD (Post 1559510216)
Doing both eliminators and x-pipe will really wake up the neighborhood..

Doing long tube and free flow cats will really wake up the car..

Now, let's say, and don't get me wrong; I don't want to destroy the planet; But what if it were long tubes, x-pipe, and no cats? Although I guess I wouldn't be moving to California any time soon.

LT4BUD 03-24-2007 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses (Post 1559514429)
Now, let's say, and don't get me wrong; I don't want to destroy the planet; But what if it were long tubes, x-pipe, and no cats? Although I guess I wouldn't be moving to California any time soon.

I think the difference between high flow cats and no cats is pretty minimal.....I have 3 inch high flow cats, don't think I am loosing much

So long tubes, x-pipe & high flow cats will be really loud and efficient..

JOHN89 03-24-2007 11:22 AM

You will regret it if you run no cats with muffler eliminators.
I ran my 89 that way for several years. The resonance is terrible between 1600 -1900 rpm. It makes your brain rattle.
The performance increase was big though. I picked up .4 in the 1/4 mi with that. My wife stopped driving in it. I have since installed 3" duals with delta 40 flowmasters. The resonance is less and it is a bit quieter at idle and light throttle. However at wot you can hear me coming!
My advice is to spend the money on a nice exhaust system with good quality mufflers. That way you won't do it twice.

John

MTVette 03-24-2007 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by LT4BUD (Post 1559516170)
I think the difference between high flow cats and no cats is pretty minimal.....I have 3 inch high flow cats, don't think I am loosing much

So long tubes, x-pipe & high flow cats will be really loud and efficient..

:iagree: I just posted a video here of my LT1 with the abovementioned mods. Listen for yourself.