CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general-119/)
-   -   GEEZ give a Guy a break !! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general/1658823-geez-give-a-guy-a-break.html)

cherrybombc3 03-24-2007 11:37 PM

GEEZ give a Guy a break !!

Took the Vette out today for it's maiden voyage after the rear suspension & diff rebuild this winter. Everything was a go, and I was more than excited to start breaking in the new RR gears. Then my bubble burst, THE DOG GONE RADIATOR sprung a leak $!$^%*!@~#$~*. I was bumbed, because it's only two seasons (short seasons) old, like brand new! It's actually leaking up in the corner by the inlet hose, go figure. Not a seam or the core , but in one of the tube & fins. No obvious damage or anything, just leaking. I'd call the people I bought it from, but it's 2 seasons old and it was Ecklers, so I wouldnt expect much in the terms of above & beyond customer service. Back to wrenchin!!!

Who knows where I can get a GOOD quality 4 row radiator for a 78? I don't find the need to go aluminum or anything crazy, just a Quality replacement radiator. I'm pretty leary now.

Durango_Boy 03-24-2007 11:39 PM

Maybe DeWitts would have something for you. I think he sells CB rads too.

cherrybombc3 03-24-2007 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Durango_boy (Post 1559524816)
Maybe DeWitts would have something for you. I think he sells CB rads too.

I'm surfing right now for a new one, I'll check it out. I don't even want to have this one repaired, new or not, I've lost all confidence in it now. Thanks.

cherrybombc3 03-24-2007 11:52 PM

No go at Dewitts, nothing C-B for a 78.

rihwoods 03-24-2007 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by cherrybombc3 (Post 1559524901)
I'm surfing right now for a new one, I'll check it out. I don't even want to have this one repaired, new or not, I've lost all confidence in it now. Thanks.

The market is flooded with Chinese C/B cores...the material is thinner...workmanship sucks...if you want a quality C/B,you are going to have to search high and low....Don't think Dewitts has C/B' cores for 78,but won't hurt to contact them...

Rich

Durango_Boy 03-24-2007 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by rihwoods (Post 1559525019)
The market is flooded with Chinese C/B cores...the material is thinner...workmanship sucks...if you want a quality C/B,you are going to have to search high and low....Don't think Dewitts has C/B' cores for 78,but won't hurt to contact them...

Rich

:iagree: , at the very least Tom should know who will have a GOOD CB rad for you.

cherrybombc3 03-25-2007 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Durango_boy (Post 1559525038)
:iagree: , at the very least Tom should know who will have a GOOD CB rad for you.

I'll give Tom a call on Monday. I may just go with his "A77A" aluminum one and be done with it. Looks cool too. :cool:
I agree with the you on the crud that's out there now. I noticed 2 years ago when I installed it the the bottom of the core would flex to the point where I could actually see the material almost start kinking as I snugged the petcock. There like tissue paper!

SEVNT6 03-25-2007 12:08 AM

Soooo if I ever have a problem with my Rad, maybe I should look at a rebuild first? I'd hate to replace it with new junk...

Durango_Boy 03-25-2007 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by SEVNT6 (Post 1559525172)
Soooo if I ever have a problem with my Rad, maybe I should look at a rebuild first? I'd hate to replace it with new junk...

Rebuilding junk will just make your junk work longer before it breaks again.

Spending the money up front will save you a lot of time and effort.

rihwoods 03-25-2007 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by cherrybombc3 (Post 1559525124)
I'll give Tom a call on Monday. I may just go with his "A77A" aluminum one and be done with it. Looks cool too. :cool:
I agree with the crud that's out there now. I notice 2 years ago when I installed it the the bottom of the core would flex to the point where I could actually see the material almost start kinking as I snugged the petcock. There like tissue paper!

I just installed a Dewitts alum rad in my 78 last September...Tom will give you some very good info on installation...you will not regret purchasing his alum rad...top quality...besides...a good C/B will run you in excess of $450...if you can find one...
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y20...adiator006.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y20...Alumrad001.jpg

Rich

cherrybombc3 03-25-2007 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by Durango_boy (Post 1559525190)

:iagree: I'm not even going to try repairing this boat anchor, it has no place in my car. Another exspensive lesson learned, wasnt the first, probably wont be the last. :willy:

bobs77vet 03-25-2007 12:54 AM

funny you mention that...i will never install a used fuel pump on a new engine for that same reason.........

SEVNT6 03-25-2007 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by Durango_boy (Post 1559525190)

I always thought factory radiators were good ones though. Mine has never been touched since it left St. Louis..............

rihwoods 03-25-2007 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by SEVNT6 (Post 1559525795)
I always thought factory radiators were good ones though. Mine has never been touched since it left St. Louis..............

My factory rad lasted 95,000 miles...mistake I made was getting a new aftermarket core....only lasted four years...learned it was Chinese...:eek:

So...if your core is in good shape...a good rad shop can restore it....

Rich

SEVNT6 03-25-2007 01:36 AM

So I have about 25K to go.....Thanks Rich :lol:

I may be in a different spot here too. Mine's never had salt & crap work on it from the outside and I've kept it clean on the inside. And I do know of a good Rad shop...........

Durango_Boy 03-25-2007 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by SEVNT6 (Post 1559525795)

Problem is that most of us don't have the factory radiator. Somewhere along the lines it was replaced with a stock replacement, probably built outside our bordered. When it goes south, and we have it fixed, we're just polishing a turd.

Tom@Dewitt 03-25-2007 09:01 AM

U.S. radiator makes a good C/B radiator. You can buy these from many dealers but I think Volunteer Vettes sells them at discounted prices. Where ever you go, ask them what brand it is. If they don't know or say, it's probably one of the Chinesse cheapos.

Paul L 03-25-2007 09:53 AM

I bought one from GM for a 1979 a couple of years ago. It was a bit expensive but fit nicely. Made in Mexico.

Durango_Boy 03-25-2007 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by paul67 (Post 1559527958)
I bought one from GM for a 1979 a couple of years ago. It was a bit expensive but fit nicely. Made in Mexico.

That's no big deal. GM has a lot of their parts and even crate motors built in Mexico.

fauxrs2 03-25-2007 11:49 AM

I bought a replacement C/B about 6 years ago...US Radiator...it was like $130 delivered to my office door. I still have the original rad in the box (always figured to get it repaired one day).

Anyway had mine for 6 years now no problems