CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   AR Racing Summerduck V.A.? good,bad,or ugly? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/1667760-ar-racing-summerduck-v-a-good-bad-or-ugly.html)

steve dalla 04-03-2007 08:55 PM

AR Racing Summerduck V.A.? good,bad,or ugly?

After doing research for 383 came across AR Racing in VA. been around for awhile now on ebay with 99.7 feedback. Im looking at there 383 -475 hp for around 3700 pan to intake. please share any experience with them good or bad.I choose them because there in driving distance and ill save shipping. thanks

jackson 04-03-2007 09:51 PM

These guys may also be within driving distance (Stanfield NC) ... and have a very good reputation that's not anchored in feebay. 383 400hp w/ iron heads $3200 ... aluminum $3600 ... several more. http://www.tandlengines.com/

MotorHead 04-03-2007 10:10 PM

Lots of guys here bought their motors over the past few years, most of them blew up and I don't think any of them are still running.

The guys now have moved on to T&L and as far as I know no one has actually put any miles on their motor yet, but they sure look nice :thumbs:

coinwasher 04-03-2007 10:52 PM

I called the guys in sumerduck and asked them if I could see their shop and they declined. The guys at T & L set an appointment for me and spent two hours showing me around and let me hang out in the dyno room.:cool: So I would never buy an engine frome anyone unless I was allowed to see the operation. The other issue is Summerduck needs to charge you VA sales tax and T & L does not so the tax savings will pay for your shipping.
:rofl:

jackson 04-04-2007 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by MotorHead (Post 1559662808)
The guys now have moved on to T&L and as far as I know no one has actually put any miles on their motor yet, but they sure look nice :thumbs:

I think CF member b71vette has proven his T&L motor ... seem to recall others have too ... T&L has been building circle track motors for many years ... they have a good rep around our regional tracks.

commando57 04-04-2007 04:04 AM

Trust me on this.

Ugly.

Guru_4_hire 04-04-2007 06:34 AM

EB3Motorsports in centreville are good people too. They let me hang out all the time, and I endlessly bug them too.

nastee383 04-04-2007 11:20 AM

I bought the 383 in my S15 Jimmy from them. (AR Racing) It took them forever (about 9 mos) to build (to my specs) and ship it but its been in service for over a year now (6500 mi) with no problems. I had it dynoed (engine dyno), took it on the Power Tour (long haul- FL - NJ) last year with just 800 miles on it (put 3000+ mi on it in 8days) and have made several 1/8 mile passes with it so far. So far, so good. I have a 2 stage N2O system which I haven't used yet but I don't anticipate any problems. The motor is 11:1, Canfield heads, gapless rings, RPM Air Gap, COMP hyd roller 242/248 @ .050 etc. etc. Would I buy from them again? Probably not because it was such a hassle getting my motor, but it runs and performs well.

GrandSportC3 04-04-2007 12:11 PM

I bought 2 engines from them..

The first one, a 383/465 HP engine with iron heads (paid $2995) got me in the mid 11's with my '68 and now forum member Iscoceles owns that engine and it's still alive, 15k street miles and about 100 drag strip passes later (I made about 50 passes and Marc (Iscoceles) made about 50)..

The second one (a 406 solid roller engine) lasted 80 runs. I had the engine rebuilt by a local, very reputable local shop and the rebuild also only lasted 80 passes.. I was expecting to get more than 80 passes out of the engine. The best (before the rebuild) with that engine was 11.05 @ 120.83 mph. Other than the spun bearings, the engine was pretty well built.

However, I did request a specific cam on that build and they used another cam. (the one I requested was a Comp Cams solid roller with 264/270 degrees .050 duration and .630 lift and I got another cam with 261/270 degrees .050 duration and .625 lift.. Similar specs but different cam..

All in all, for me, AR was still a lot of bang for the buck$$$$

steve dalla 04-05-2007 09:30 PM

thank u for replies, Im going to give TL a call and chat them up before i buy anything.

75custom 03-14-2012 02:24 PM

I know this is an old thread but I'm posting an update just to protect anyone else out there who might be searching for info on this place (ar racing). I made the mistake of purchasing an engine from them on ebay and it has been a TOTAL nightmare from beginning to end. And its still not over yet! The place is a total scam shop. They advertise engines as new, they're not..they're used. They advertise hp/tq numbers that are totally fake. When you call them, they talk real polite and seem reputable, meanwhile they're screwing you every way they can. If you want more details, just PM me and I can tell you the whole story. Even though they have positive feedback numbers on ebay, don't be fooled, they have a way to get around that too. Buyers BEWARE!!!

rponfick 03-14-2012 03:16 PM

And, I think I got the last engine out of T&L before they went into bankruptcy. Lots of folks lost a lot of money.

Shop carefully.

Ralph.

Tact 03-14-2012 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by 75custom (Post 1580278509)
I know this is an old thread but I'm posting an update just to protect anyone else out there who might be searching for info on this place (ar racing). I made the mistake of purchasing an engine from them on ebay and it has been a TOTAL nightmare from beginning to end. And its still not over yet! The place is a total scam shop. They advertise engines as new, they're not..they're used. They advertise hp/tq numbers that are totally fake. When you call them, they talk real polite and seem reputable, meanwhile they're screwing you every way they can. If you want more details, just PM me and I can tell you the whole story. Even though they have positive feedback numbers on ebay, don't be fooled, they have a way to get around that too. Buyers BEWARE!!!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/foru...s-or-more.html