CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Tech (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech-1/)
-   -   Steering Column Lock Service Code (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/1668078-steering-column-lock-service-code.html)

Casecito 04-04-2007 08:17 AM

Steering Column Lock Service Code

My 03' Z06 just started displaying the service steering column lock on the cluster display. Can anyone tell me what needs to be done to fix it. From what I've seen on the forum this is a pretty common problem!

GUSTO14 04-04-2007 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Casecito (Post 1559666471)
My 03' Z06 just started displaying the service steering column lock on the cluster display. Can anyone tell me what needs to be done to fix it. From what I've seen on the forum this is a pretty common problem!

The first thing I would do is read through the sticky at the top of this column. There is a lot of information in there that will at times appear confusing, but ultimately you will have a better understanding of the issues surrounding this problem.

The second thing I would do is try to determine if your vehicle has had any of the recalls performed on it for this problem. If your steering wheel does not lock in place when the key is removed, that's a very good indication the recalls have been performed. You can also contact your local dealer, give them your serial number and they'll be able to tell you as well.

Good luck... GUSTO

FactoryRaceCar 04-04-2007 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by GUSTO14 (Post 1559666617)
The first thing I would do is read through the sticky at the top of this column. There is a lot of information in there that will at times appear confusing, but ultimately you will have a better understanding of the issues surrounding this problem.

The second thing I would do is try to determine if your vehicle has had any of the recalls performed on it for this problem. If your steering wheel does not lock in place when the key is removed, that's a very good indication the recalls have been performed. You can also contact your local dealer, give them your serial number and they'll be able to tell you as well.

Good luck... GUSTO

:iagree:

attyman1968 04-04-2007 08:50 PM

Mine just started doing the same thing an hour ago, and now it is sitting at Wendy's waiting for me to do something. I have had the recalls done about 9 months ago. What now?

attyman1968 04-04-2007 09:15 PM

Also, I have read the sticky, but part of the information is contradictory. What do I need to do? I have an 01 Z06, and If I am reading the info right, can I remove the relay or bypass it to get the car started and home, then install a CLB? Also, I can't let the dealership mess with this because I just added a Procharger and MTI racing tune and I don't want the dealer to screw it up. Thanks

GUSTO14 04-05-2007 07:38 AM

Here's a response to midnightc5, I provided a while back after he received the service column lock message and his fuel would cut off as soon as he moved the car. You might find the information helpful, but I would recommend that you find a competent technician at a dealer you trust (or someone you know that is savvy on the column lock issue) and strategize how to deal with the problem. Most folks that have reported installing the CLB's have also reported the least number of issues with the column lock...

I'm of the opinion that the Electronic Column Lock was a complicated solution to a very simple problem. Unfortunately most of GM's responses to the subsequent failures have been less than satisfactory.

Good luck... GUSTO

midnightc5...

The original column-lock recall on the C5 called for re-flashing the PCM to cut the fuel off if the column-lock did not send an "unlocked" signal to the PCM. It also replaced some of the relays that operate the column lock motor. The automatics had the lock plate removed from the column at that time but not the 6-speeds.

The latest column-lock recall removed the plate from the 6-speed cars, but did not alter the fuel cut-off function. So now the column will no longer lock on you, but if the column-lock does not send the "unlocked" signal to the computer, it will still cut the fuel. I believe this recall also changed a couple of the relays that control the column-lock functioning. Keep in mind the column-lock motor continues to operate (even though the lock plate is removed) and must still send the "unlocked" signal to the PCM.

There has been a lot of discussion here on the forum regarding the column-lock malfunction and the actual recalls have also been posted. The recalls call for very specific operations to be performed, so if the dealer did anything less, the recall was not performed correctly. You can get a copy of the recall and ask them specifically what steps they did or did not perform. A search is going to help you harvest a lot of data, even if it's all clear as mud.

I have been told by an excellent GM technician, that replacing a bad column lock motor is not part of the recall, however more often than not, it is the relays that are the problem and not the motor. I have also known a couple of dealers in our area that replaced the motor and did not charge their customers. Just talk nice and remember, most of them are as frustrated with GM's response to this problem as you are.

In the past the gouge has been that once the recalls have been performed, the CLB's will not remedy the problem. I believe someone recently posted however that one of the CLB vendors here, has come up with a workaround and can even eliminate the fuel cut-off function from the PCM if you want. Again try a search on that.

Being in San Diego, you most certainly have more options available than many of us. Since you have already had the recalls performed, I would recommend you find a trusted and knowledgeable GM technician familiar with the column lock problem and talk to them.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

GUSTO