CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Other Cars (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/other-cars-24/)
-   -   %$*(&%$# Thieves!! Need Help on Ign Switch (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/other-cars/1669744-and-thieves-need-help-on-ign-switch.html)

Blue Blood 04-05-2007 10:50 PM

%$*(&%$# Thieves!! Need Help on Ign Switch

I need to vent here so please bear with me for a few minutes. Some local POS has made an attempt to steal my son's 97 S-10 Blazer for the second time. What really sucks is the fact that it was stolen at the end of last summer, after I had spent every weekend of the summer fabricating a completly custom fiberglass console and and reshaped the dash bezel to accept the video screen for his DVD player.

We got the car back after two weeks and they stole part of the box that was made to hold the relocated radio and screwed up the console as well as taking the entire sound and video system. So I thought what the heck, I've got the chance to redo some of the things that I didn't like about the first version, and to take a couple things a step or two further which included making gauge pods in the console for pressure gauges for his air bag suspension and a custom roll pan to replace the bumper. So just about every weekend from October through January I was in the garage doing all the fabrication. We just got everthing totally finished and installed about two weeks ago.

I guess the good thing is that we still have the car and all the parts, although they were not nice to everything. Now we an ignition switch that has to come out because the POS's tool broke off inside. We've got a lot of the plastic shrouding around the steering column off but I don't seem to be able to make any progress towards getting the lock cylinder or the whole switch out of the car. Can anyone help?

Blue Blood 04-07-2007 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Blue Blood (Post 1559694675)
Now we have an ignition switch that has to come out because the POS's tool broke off inside. We've got a lot of the plastic shrouding around the steering column off but I don't seem to be able to make any progress towards getting the lock cylinder or the whole switch out of the car. Can anyone help?

any help??

GMautotech 04-07-2007 03:24 PM

I'm going off of memory here so if I'm wrong, sorry. I assume you have both the top and bottom steering column covers removed. Disconnect the battery. On the top of the column above the lock cylinder there should be a white plastic switch with 2 wires going to it. Remove that connector by releasing the tab and rotating it, then pull up. Under that switch is a pin that you will have to push down with the ignition cylinder in either the run or start position (I don't remember which). When you feel that pin push down you can pull the ignition cylinder out of the column.

Blue Blood 04-08-2007 12:27 AM

Thanks, got it.