CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Drag Racing (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/drag-racing-90/)
-   -   Budget Drag Shocks (C5) (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/drag-racing/1688142-budget-drag-shocks-c5.html)

FRC Rob 04-26-2007 12:16 AM

Budget Drag Shocks (C5)

I followed the advice of another CorvetteForum member about putting budget front drag shocks on my C5 (thanks 123sugey) :thumbs: Here's the rundown for those who might be interested in this sort of thing:

Bought 2 Lakewood 90/10 drag shocks (part # 40101) and a set of Mr Gasket 3 1/2" shock extensions (part # 1290); grand total was right around $100 (vs. ~$500 for C5 specific adjustable shocks) . These are somewhat "universal" shocks that can fit quite a few different vehicles, and come with an assortment of mounting hardware, depending on your application. I re-used my original upper bushings since they were in good shape and seemed better & beefier than the little universal ones provided with the new shocks. I also used the following "shop supplies" during the install: a couple of extra washers for the lower control arm mounts, along with some silicone grease for the bushings and a little loctite on the extensions. Overall, the installation went fast & easy...the original shocks are pretty stiff and required a bit of wrestling to remove, but the Lakewoods went right in.

Now, onto the big question...can you actually drive around on these things? I got the more aggressive 90/10's, which are not recommended for street use, and I'm glad I did. (70/30 versions are also available...Lakewood claims they are okay for "street/strip" vehicles.) This car is my daily driver, and I have been testing them out during normal street driving over the past few days; no track results yet. My front swaybar had already been removed, but the 90/10's are still very driveable. I'm not a corner jockey, but I'd bet that my car still handles better than 90% of the cars on the road, even with drag shocks and no swaybar. It rides a little softer in front, but still drives and corners great. The front end really doesn't lift much at all unless you really nail it from down low, but it settles back down nicely. It isn't floaty nor bouncy, and corners just fine. If any South Florida guys are considering this mod but are concerned about the driveability, get with me at any of the Moroso or Countyline Challenge events...I'd be happy to let you drive the car and see for yourself.

Rob

REDGAR 04-26-2007 10:20 AM

Hey Rob thanks for the tip!

I can add for removing the stock shocks, instead of wrestling I used zip ties. Wrap them around each other, keep adjutsting a little at a time and before you know it is is compressed enough to get it out.

As far as street drving with a 90/10, sorry I don't have experence with that but I am sure someone can chime in.

Please else us know how it works out at the strip and on the street.

123sugey 05-05-2007 06:30 PM

FRC ROB......... I'm glad you installed them !!
They do work great on the street. I'm not for flying around corners either but, like you said the car will still outperform most other cars still.
THIS MOD SHOULD BE LISTED UNDER " ALMOST FREE MODS " :lol:
Nice write up too.........

FRC Rob 05-06-2007 07:05 PM

Well, its been a few weeks, and I've now got some track results. This car is my daily driver, and I have no handling issues to report. As I mentioned before, I am not a corner jockey, but for regular commuter driving (city and highway), these shocks are fine. At the track, the car is more consistent. Although I have not yet bettered my personal best 60' time, the grouping is much tighter than before. If you spin the tires right off the line, I don't think any shock in the world is going to help you. However, as long as I'm hooked up out of the hole, it stays hooked up and the suspension does not "unload" going past the tree like it used to. These are a great bang for the buck mod for C5 drag racers :thumbs:

123sugey 05-06-2007 07:24 PM

I went from 1.70 best 60' to a 1.40 with new m/t's and lakewoods installed !! That was at PINKS @ Moroso a few months back.

trophystock 05-06-2007 07:26 PM

I am going to order my lakewoods on Monday.

fsuforever 02-11-2008 06:28 PM

I wonder how well the sucess rate is on the lakewoods ,i am with you on the 90/10s as i ordered these myself & also the Mr gasket ext.Part #1290 ,this was 120.00 from Jegs ,Money well spent:thumbs: !! ,i am giving them a shot as well.Along with the mt etstreets & the Novi2k this weekend i will have the et streets on this will be a wild ride ,First time out will be amazing to say the least ,as long as i dont break an outputshaft i will have a smile on my face :iagree: & if i do break i will upgrade

123sugey 02-12-2008 07:30 PM

Dont forget to remove the sway bar.
have fun....

16Again 03-04-2008 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by 123sugey (Post 1564069558)
Dont forget to remove the sway bar.
have fun....

I notice in your signature that you cut down the extensions part # 1290 from 3 1/2" down to 2 1/2", what was the reason for this?
Also compared to the expensive shock out there, short of adjust ability what would be the difference between them?
Thanks guys. :cheers:

123sugey 03-04-2008 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Challenger (Post 1564390751)
I notice in your signature that you cut down the extensions part # 1290 from 3 1/2" down to 2 1/2", what was the reason for this?
Also compared to the expensive shock out there, short of adjust ability what would be the difference between them?
Thanks guys. :cheers:

I did not cut them down.... mistake on my part. Install them as they come. Adjustability is the only thing that would be different than the the others. Obviously, 9 out of 10 old school mustle cars use 90/10's that are not adjustable. They work. But, if you are into canion carving around corners you will not like them. Normal driving around town and on the highway is not a problem. I've used mine in allot of traffic and on I-95 without a problem. Look at my sig picyure !! You want your front to rise ? Check it out. I was having huge traction problems for years with my 2 stage nitrous on the track and street... This shock setup and M/T drag radials dropped my ET from 11.0's to 10.7's with no other mods. I also like the way it feels when you give it 1/2 to 3/4 throttle on the street.... The nose comes up and then tapers off downward. On my second pass at Pinks, my wheels were off the ground 6-8 inches for 60 feet !! Most high horsepower vette's carry the
tires up 6 inches and they dropback down 10 feet out.

Good luck

Chris

speedsk899 03-05-2008 01:14 PM

I am very interested in this. My car is lowered.....am I going to slam the front air dam on the ground if I have to get out of the gas for some reason?

123sugey 03-05-2008 01:50 PM

My car was at stock height. The front rises very quickly yet comes down pretty soft. I never had a problem with bottoming out after getting out of it.

16Again 03-06-2008 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by fsuforever (Post 1564052512)
I wonder how well the sucess rate is on the lakewoods ,i am with you on the 90/10s as i ordered these myself & also the Mr gasket ext.Part #1290 ,this was 120.00 from Jegs ,Money well spent:thumbs: !! ,i am giving them a shot as well.Along with the mt etstreets & the Novi2k this weekend i will have the et streets on this will be a wild ride ,First time out will be amazing to say the least ,as long as i dont break an outputshaft i will have a smile on my face :iagree: & if i do break i will upgrade

Did you get to test the set-up yet? How did it work out for you? :cheers:

16Again 03-14-2008 03:31 PM

Any of you guys have a picture of how you set-up your extensions, sleeves, and bushings?
Thanks
Bob

123sugey 03-14-2008 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Challenger (Post 1564546691)
Any of you guys have a picture of how you set-up your extensions, sleeves, and bushings?
Thanks
Bob

I sold my car 2 months ago but...
I did not use the sleeves.
I used a bushing under the top mount.
Sorry, Im in Honduras now and do not have my pics with me.

16Again 03-15-2008 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by 123sugey (Post 1564550205)
I sold my car 2 months ago but...
I did not use the sleeves.
I used a bushing under the top mount.
Sorry, Im in Honduras now and do not have my pics with me.

Thanks Chris :cheers:

YO-EL 07-11-2008 08:21 AM

why or is it necessary to use the #1290 extensions?

16Again 07-11-2008 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by YO-EL (Post 1566259401)
why or is it necessary to use the #1290 extensions?

I have them on my car and have not raced with them yet. The extensions are used because the shock is shorter than our originals. They are a generic version, actually I think the same part number works on the Chrysler products as well. :willy: :yesnod:

Joe_G 07-11-2008 01:32 PM

Bob!! How you doing my friend. :cheers:

Thanks for bringing this TTT - I missed it long ago. Robert's been telling me for a while that this mod would do more for me that a FAST intake or maybe even heads...I shopped this week for shocks and was SHOCKED to see the price for adjustables.

Since I don't road course much at all any more, I think I'll do this mod.

16Again 07-11-2008 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Joe_G (Post 1566263209)
Bob!! How you doing my friend. :cheers:

Thanks for bringing this TTT - I missed it long ago. Robert's been telling me for a while that this mod would do more for me that a FAST intake or maybe even heads...I shopped this week for shocks and was SHOCKED to see the price for adjustables.

Since I don't road course much at all any more, I think I'll do this mod.

Doing well Joe :yesnod: Hope it's the same for you and your family. :thumbs:

Since I suck in the competition arena :lol: and just like to go and play, I could not justify, nor afford the QA1's

I decided for less than $100.00 based on all the positive reviews, I would get these. :yesnod: Since I race so often :lolg: They have been on since around Christmas and have yet to make a pass. :leaving: