CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance-101/)
-   -   My first attempt at a dyno tune, graph inside (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance/1702605-my-first-attempt-at-a-dyno-tune-graph-inside.html)

Joe_G 05-11-2007 11:26 PM

My first attempt at a dyno tune, graph inside

First of all, a hearty thanks to my buddy GTODoug who is teaching me to tune. Doug, you missed your career calling, you're an excellent teacher. And your 522/460 Goat is a sight to behold.

Mods are: Ls2Portworks.com ported intake, American Racing 1 7/8 headers w/ cats & 3" catback, 3.90 gears, 160 deg. thermo, Vararam.

Happy with the results, pretty typical for my mods. I'm happy with the results from the tuning effort too. I've been intentionally running rich on my drag race based tunes to be safe since I don't have a wideband, so I got some nice results leaning it up a little and giving it a little spark.

I can actually feel the results of this tune in my SOTP meter... so it must be accurate to about 12 rwhp!

Here's the graph:

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...7dynoruns3.jpg

427Z 05-12-2007 12:34 AM

nice. what was the correction factor and what were the test conditions? was your last run the highest

Tony B4 05-12-2007 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by Joe_G (Post 1560217835)
First of all, a hearty thanks to my buddy GTODoug who is teaching me to tune. Doug, you missed your career calling, you're an excellent teacher. And your 522/460 Goat is a sight to behold.

Mods are: Ls2Portworks.com ported intake, American Racing 1 7/8 headers w/ cats & 3" catback, 3.90 gears, 160 deg. thermo, Vararam.

Happy with the results, pretty typical for my mods. I'm happy with the results from the tuning effort too. I've been intentionally running rich on my drag race based tunes to be safe since I don't have a wideband, so I got some nice results leaning it up a little and giving it a little spark.

I can actually feel the results of this tune in my SOTP meter... so it must be accurate to about 12 rwhp!

Here's the graph:

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...7dynoruns2.jpg

Nice!, must be a great tune:thumbs:

gtodoug 05-12-2007 09:38 AM

Joe, I had a great time as well. Your car is as smooth as butter. Your car would have made closer to 400whp if it wasn't going through the 3.90 gears as well. I see normally 8-10whp decrease in power on a dyno from that. Those are only for braggnig rights though. Your 11.80@119mph timeslips do all the talking for ya.

I'll bring you down when I'm dialing in my newest setup.

Doug

Maui 05-12-2007 06:41 PM

Nice numbers. I got similar numbers on a Mustang dyno with same mods.

I've been thinking about going to 390 or 410 gears myself to get more bottom end. How much did the gear change run you?

SpinMonster 05-12-2007 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Joe_G (Post 1560217835)

I can peg the power gains to the hundreths like 12.37rwhp. Much more sensitive cheeks.

Good job Doug.

cmb13 05-12-2007 10:23 PM

Nice work, guys! I'm shocked you got about 50 hp over expected from headers, CAI, ported intake & tune. Not bad!

:thumbs:

Joe_G 05-13-2007 07:28 AM

Thanks for the comments guys. Drove around some more yesterday, car feels much snappier. I'm happy with the dyno tune and it was fun doing it. Doug, please do let me know when you head down to tune your new setup, it's going to be awesome and I'd love to join you.

To answer some questions above:

ShawnDFW - the run conditions were 91 degrees and 34% humidity 29.98 pressure, 1.01 correction.

Maui - Gears are my absolute favorite mod. It will feel like a new car. Worth EVERY penny and if you are only going to do one mod, it's gears. Cartek just had a gears installed special for $1195. You can't beat that. The general price is set by DTE, I got the DTE with hardened shaft and DTE brace. I wouldn't drag race like I do without that brace.

Hey Craig, actually, I think these results are pretty darn close (like, exact!) to a bunch of other bolt on cars with my mods. I just did a quick search to see. I was hoping that I had some "factory freak" car leading to my decent 1/4 results, but not. Guess I'll have to blame it on the driver! :D :lol: :rofl: One nice thing - I had to put heads and cam in my C5 to get 404/382 so I'm very close with just my bolt on mods on my C6.

By the way, a buddy provided me with his bone stock, 05 MZ6 Vette dyno sheet. Our cars are same down to the color except mine is a vert and his is a hard top.

Check out the difference my car vs. stock! That Ls2portworks ported intake and headers sure make a big difference! Craig, you have held off on performance mods way too long. Stop waxing and jump over to the dark side of performance mods! :lol: :thumbs:

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...ynovsStock.jpg

Cory@LS2PortWorks 05-13-2007 12:00 PM

It's nice to see another car in the high 380's with the basic mods. Knowing you have the gears installed makes it even better! Even the big 1 7/8 tube headers aren't really hurting anything. Maybe 2 or 3 tq down... maybe. Nothing to worry over especially since you'll see better gains with the big tubes if you cam it or add heads later.

Overall... another excellent validation of a very simple dealership friendly parts package. Great work, guys! :cheers:

cmb13 05-13-2007 12:19 PM

See pm...

Joe_G 05-13-2007 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by CHarris85Vette (Post 1560232200)
It's nice to see another car in the high 380's with the basic mods. Knowing you have the gears installed makes it even better! Even the big 1 7/8 tube headers aren't really hurting anything. Maybe 2 or 3 tq down... maybe. Nothing to worry over especially since you'll see better gains with the big tubes if you cam it or add heads later.

Overall... another excellent validation of a very simple dealership friendly parts package. Great work, guys! :cheers:

Thanks Cory! Your ported intake most certainly helped. Excellent mod for the low price and easy install, thanks again! :thumbs:

JFTaylor 05-15-2007 11:56 AM

Nice looking #s. You must be pleased. :thumbs:

Fore58 05-15-2007 12:03 PM

Those numbers are about right. Melrose 1 7/8", ported intake/TB, and VaraRam and tune, 379/366. Baseline with Melrose and VaraRam was only 343/340, probably due to the large 1 7/8". H/C in the future.

valdeztke 05-15-2007 04:11 PM

Where does one go to "learn" to tune?

Joe_G 05-15-2007 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by valdeztke (Post 1560260828)
Where does one go to "learn" to tune?

In my case, my garage with a few cups of coffee with my buddy
Doug! And several hours reading the "new to tuning threads" on the HP Tuners Forum, which is free and chock full of great info.

I'm very happy wit the performance of my daily driver. It drives like stock except over a second and 10 mph faster in the quarter.

The LS2 REALLY responds to a tune, that is for sure. They are really tuned down from the factory particularly due to timing pulled at low IAT's.

valdeztke 05-15-2007 06:29 PM

I started to read over those threads. I contemplated buying HP tuners .... as many friends as I have that mod their car, it would come in handy ;)

gtodoug 05-15-2007 10:20 PM

It's a great investment. The worst thing that can happen is that you learn more about your car. I scanned things only for the first 6 mos before I ever made a change.

Dougie

valdeztke 05-15-2007 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by gtodoug (Post 1560264601)
It's a great investment. The worst thing that can happen is that you learn more about your car. I scanned things only for the first 6 mos before I ever made a change.

Dougie

I'm the type of guy that thinks he "knows" it all - so Im sure I'd need to keep a stock tune as a safety net with the Mrs. So that when I screw up I can come to her to get my lashings and the stock tune back.
:lol:

Joe_G 05-16-2007 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by valdeztke (Post 1560264731)
I'm the type of guy that thinks he "knows" it all - so Im sure I'd need to keep a stock tune as a safety net with the Mrs. So that when I screw up I can come to her to get my lashings and the stock tune back.
:lol:

Be careful then - as Doug said, learn the scanner first so you can determine what the results of your changes are and what danger things to look for. That's what I did too. The software is powerful - if you go changing things willy nilly it might be the repair shop you go to for your lashings! The car has lots of safety valves built in, like great knock sensors, but you can defeat them.

A tune is my 2nd favorite mod - self, mail order, or professional. It really wakes up the car and the learning process of tuning is a ton of fun if you're into that kind of thing.