CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Tech (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech-1/)
-   -   ARP Flywheel Bolts - Who has disassembled after using "Red" Loctite (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/1708755-arp-flywheel-bolts-who-has-disassembled-after-using-red-loctite.html)

vettenuts 05-19-2007 07:28 AM

ARP Flywheel Bolts - Who has disassembled after using "Red" Loctite

In the middle of my clutch installation. I bought a set of ARP flywheel bolts. I see a lot of recommendations for "Red" loctite. ARP instructions say to use their Moly lube, but I am afraid to do that since getting back in there again is a big issue if they come loose. The GM service manual seems to indicate medium strenght Loctite 242, but then I see guys who have bought GM bolts and they come with a red locking compound pre-installed.

Has anyone actually removed a flywheel with the ARP bolts in it that have been previously installed with the Red loctite? I am concerned I will never get them out again or that they might break upon later disassembly.

edcmat-l1 05-19-2007 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by vettenuts (Post 1560311632)
In the middle of my clutch installation. I bought a set of ARP flywheel bolts. I see a lot of recommendations for "Red" loctite. ARP instructions say to use their Moly lube, but I am afraid to do that since getting back in there again is a big issue if they come loose. The GM service manual seems to indicate medium strenght Loctite 242, but then I see guys who have bought GM bolts and they come with a red locking compound pre-installed.

Has anyone actually removed a flywheel with the ARP bolts in it that have been previously installed with the Red loctite? I am concerned I will never get them out again or that they might break upon later disassembly.

They will come out even with red locktite. ARP wants you to use their moly just so the torque specs are correct. Dont hesitate to use locktite. Make sure you torque them. Dont run them in with an impact. When and if you have to remove them again, use an impact.

vettenuts 05-19-2007 11:59 AM

I did talk to ARP, they said increase the torque by 5 lb-ft with loctite over the Moly, so they would go in with 65 lb-ft.

94legaleagle 05-19-2007 11:31 PM

I think I'd use BLUE locktite and then 5 ft/lbs over what the ARP specs call for w/ ARP lube - w/ Blue locktite, you have some additional security, but you can get them loose if you need to in the future

HiRiser 05-20-2007 12:01 AM

FWIW, I've never had an issue taking things apart that I previously used Red lock-tite on

DSSA 01-17-2008 05:07 PM

If you use red loctite, and have an issue with getting bolts back out, heat them with a torch (the bolt--be careful of the head on the surrounding areas).

motogib1 01-17-2008 05:25 PM

If you use red loctite, and have an issue with getting bolts back out, heat them with a torch (the bolt--be careful of the head on the surrounding areas).
:iagree:

For anything other than very small bolts I've had to heat the threads with a torch to remove the bolt when red locktite was applied.

thetorch 01-17-2008 06:17 PM

If you can remove Crane rocker studs, which are M8 x 1.25, with relative ease than I think it's safe to say you could remove flywheel bolts. I'm not sure what size they are right off hand, but I would guess they are M10.

Tony Mamo @ AFR 01-17-2008 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by HiRiser (Post 1560320724)
FWIW, I've never had an issue taking things apart that I previously used Red lock-tite on

Ditto....

And I just torqued my flywheel to 75 ft/lbs with the ARP hardware. It felt perfect...just enough "stretch" (and not very much because the bolts are short). I dont think 65 ft/lbs is enough although with red loctite it wont go anywhere at that TQ Im sure anyway.

Tony

ArKay99 01-17-2008 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR (Post 1563675538)
Ditto....

And I just torqued my flywheel to 75 ft/lbs with the ARP hardware. It felt perfect...just enough "stretch" (and not very much because the bolts are short). I dont think 65 ft/lbs is enough although with red loctite it wont go anywhere at that TQ Im sure anyway.

Tony

:iagree: I did mine to 75ft/lbs. It felt better than 65. Actually the stockers are 3 increments ending at 74ft/lbs.

vettenuts 01-18-2008 05:38 AM

Surprised this post came back to life. Well, mine are in there with red loctite and so far (as far as I know) all is OK.

Now the real question will be whether it will handle the new found power in the spring :leaving: