CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   The mechanic just called and said 16 hours (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/1718027-the-mechanic-just-called-and-said-16-hours.html)

ByeYall 05-30-2007 11:23 AM

The mechanic just called and said 16 hours

labor involved to replace a timing cover seal. He said "the book" said 3.5 hours for my 1995 coupe, but he had done one before, and was going to go with the ZR-1 hours of 16 to replace the seal. He said it would be simpler to pull the engine to replace the seal than to do it the way the book describes. Is he just full of it? Does he just not want to do the job? Should I take the car to the local Chevy dealer, where their book should say 3.5 hours, and have them replace it? The seal isn't leaking that badly, so I am inclined just to leave it alone... He's talking $1000 just for labor for one seal!!! Unbelievable!!!!

CAJUN C4 05-30-2007 11:34 AM

I just replaced mine on my 84' last week took 2 hours.Figure a little longer I do not have a smog pump.Leave the Pan & Cover intact.Remove seal with a Seal Puller.Not hard at all.

Jeffvette 05-30-2007 11:58 AM

BS, find somebody else. Or do it yourself. it's not that bad.

CFI-EFI 05-30-2007 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by CAJUN C4
I just replaced mine on my 84' last week took 2 hours.Figure a little longer I do not have a smog pump.Leave the Pan & Cover intact.Remove seal with a Seal Puller.Not hard at all.

The smog pump shouldn't have made a difference on that job. All you do is unbolt the pulley, use a puller on the damper, then use the seal puller, tap the new seal into place, use a damper installation tool, bolt the pulley back on and reinstall the belt. I wouldn't expect the '95, LT1 to be a whole lot different. You can "rent" (borrow by leaving a deposit) the damper puller and installer where you buy the seal, and do it yourself. LT guys, is it any tougher a job on the LT1?

RACE ON!!!

CAJUN C4 05-30-2007 12:00 PM

:iagree:

Wheelman 05-30-2007 12:19 PM

Tell the guy to f*** off!

mseven 05-30-2007 12:32 PM

Hopefully this should be good motivation for you to start learning and doing it yourself. Even at 3.5 hrs. that's approx. 300. labor. You are only talikng about the seal and not the t.cover Right?

DonF 05-30-2007 12:41 PM

These are the type of Mechanics that you should avoid. They see a Corvette & think that you are loaded or stupid. I would put the word out to any one to avoid that shop. It's not that hard of a job to do this, get a shop manual. :eek:

RRT vette 05-30-2007 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Wheelman (Post 1560455208)
Tell the guy to f*** off!

:smash:
:yesnod:

senorv47 05-30-2007 12:46 PM

:iagree: I priced the job of getting my injectors changed and with parts it was $1400.00. I came out on the forum and got all eight injectors with new O rings and caps for $100.00. I'm doing the job myself and with alittle help form the forum members, got the tips and tricks to doing it and so far so good, I'm doing alittle bit each day becuase I'm working outside in the heat but I'm getting her done!! Thanks forum members, you folks are great people and thanks to Sticky for getting the forum going.:flag:

tdf 05-30-2007 12:48 PM

Whoa

This kind of BS from auto shops is why I do all the work myself!!!:iagree:

Mr. Peabody 05-30-2007 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by mseven (Post 1560455425)
Hopefully this should be good motivation for you to start learning and doing it yourself. Even at 3.5 hrs. that's approx. 300. labor. You are only talikng about the seal and not the t.cover Right?

Well I'm not afraid to show my stupidity :lol: Wouldn't you have to remove the timing cover to replace the timing cover seal? Don't you also have to drop the oil pan to get the cover to seal correctly?

l1sikes 05-30-2007 01:06 PM

He's using the ZR1 flat rate for an LT1 job ?

He probably doesn't even know what a ZR1 is, I suggest you rescue your Vette from his shop ASAP.

Carpenter 05-30-2007 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Peabody (Post 1560455701)
Well I'm not afraid to show my stupidity :lol: Wouldn't you have to remove the timing cover to replace the timing cover seal? Don't you also have to drop the oil pan to get the cover to seal correctly?

Apparently there exists a seal puller that eliminates that process. (The seal is installed from the front of cover)

Even IF this puller didn't exist....re/re of the cover and dropping the pan 1/2" is under ONE hour.

:cheers:

Wheelman 05-30-2007 01:18 PM

Isn't it funny how the shop will gladly charge you the "Book" rate even if it takes them 1/2 the time to actually do the job, but if it takes longer, the "Book" rate suddenly no longer applies...:bs

pushrod-v8 05-30-2007 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by ByeYall (Post 1560454499)
labor involved to replace a timing cover seal. He said "the book" said 3.5 hours for my 1995 coupe, but he had done one before, and was going to go with the ZR-1 hours of 16 to replace the seal. He said it would be simpler to pull the engine to replace the seal than to do it the way the book describes. Is he just full of it? Does he just not want to do the job? Should I take the car to the local Chevy dealer, where their book should say 3.5 hours, and have them replace it? The seal isn't leaking that badly, so I am inclined just to leave it alone... He's talking $1000 just for labor for one seal!!! Unbelievable!!!!

I suggest getting your car ASAP and never, ever, ever returing unless you like getting ripped off.

The mechanic is obviously an idiot and not to be trusted.

jwt1603 05-30-2007 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Jeffvette (Post 1560454927)
BS, find somebody else. Or do it yourself. it's not that bad.

:iagree:

Two friends and I did the Opti, water pump and power steering pump on my 94 and including screwing around and stopping for lunch we did it in less than 7 hours total. That also includes two trips to the parts store. If we had worked straight through it would have taken a lot less.

By the way, the MSD Opti is a very sweet piece. Too bad you can't see it under the water pump.:)

86PACER 05-30-2007 02:59 PM

Get your car out of there.

ittybittyfds 05-30-2007 03:04 PM

im in the same boat all.....i dont know any local mechanics so i went to somebody multiple people talked highly about...
he is installing my headers and a new starter....
told me it would be 6 hours he would have it to me by the end of the day..... i just called for a status and he told me it wouldn't be done till tomorrow.....said its not a straight bolt on and he only has 1 side done today.

so my 4 hundred dollar charge is now 6-800

my wife is going to kill me and i am going to be in a serious dog houys

86PACER 05-30-2007 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by ittybittyfds (Post 1560457469)
im in the same boat all.....i dont know any local mechanics so i went to somebody multiple people talked highly about...
he is installing my headers and a new starter....
told me it would be 6 hours he would have it to me by the end of the day..... i just called for a status and he told me it wouldn't be done till tomorrow.....said its not a straight bolt on and he only has 1 side done today.

so my 4 hundred dollar charge is now 6-800

my wife is going to kill me and i am going to be in a serious dog houys

This is why they must show you in writing each service and price up front before they do the work. This is the law, but most people are not aware of it.