CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Car Care Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/car-care-discussion-10/)
-   -   3M clear bra and polishing/waxing (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/car-care-discussion/1722305-3m-clear-bra-and-polishing-waxing.html)

Bounty Hunter 6 06-04-2007 11:52 AM

3M clear bra and polishing/waxing

I've seen more and more Corvettes with the 3M clear bras on. My question is: as a person that actually drives their car and as a result clay bars at least twice a year and polishes and waxes, how do you get around having the clear bra on? I can't imagine that the bra shines up like the clear coat does, and since it is not removable, it's got to look bad if you, say, Zaino'd the whole car. Plus, the build-up along the seam a quarter way up the hood. Hoping for some feedback from people that actually have the 3M bra.

Reason: looking at getting the front end redone and then protected with the 3M as the roads in Colorado are horrendous.

Thanks in advance!
Glen:cheers:

Killrwheels@Autogeek 06-04-2007 11:57 AM

We have numerous customers with clear-bra, they mostly use Plexus on it to keep it new and clear.

DeepBlueC 06-06-2007 11:50 AM

I treat the clear bra the same as I do the rest of the car. It has a clear coat on it. I find myself using Rejex on the bra to help keep bugs and stuff from sticking but wax it as you do your car and it will shine the same.

When waxing try to go with the seam as opposed to against it to minimize and product buildup. If I get some dried wax showing once I finish I soak a section of MF with some QD and gently work it along the seam. This removes the built up product.

Comfortably Numb 06-06-2007 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by DeepBlueC (Post 1560550955)
I treat the clear bra the same as I do the rest of the car. It has a clear coat on it. I find myself using Rejex on the bra to help keep bugs and stuff from sticking but wax it as you do your car and it will shine the same.

When waxing try to go with the seam as opposed to against it to minimize and product buildup. If I get some dried wax showing once I finish I soak a section of MF with some QD and gently work it along the seam. This removes the built up product.

Thanks for the tip with build up along the tape and going along the seam. I've had a few brain f*rts when detailing ended up spending a lot of time getting the build up off.

JVM225 06-06-2007 06:10 PM

I use a very thin masking (1/8"?)tape along the edge of the clear bra to prevent build up. It works well

agentf1 06-06-2007 10:58 PM

I have a 3m bra on most of my cars and have been using Zaino on them for years. You do not need to worry about Zaino building up on the edges as much as you would with a wax since Zaino is applied so thin. I also apply it with the edge and not against it when I Zaino the cars, or either that or I only go off the edge in the one direction and this way it will actually not put any polish for like 1/16". I have never had a problem with buildup or yellowing and have been using Zaino on my Clear bra on my L for about 4 years now.