CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   1989 Performance Chip (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/1722355-1989-performance-chip.html)

mig29man 06-04-2007 12:37 PM

1989 Performance Chip

Hello everyone.

I have a question that may or may not make sense, so please bear with me.

I have a 1989 Corvette (my first 'vette), and while rummaging through trying to learn all I can about it, I found a box which appears to be a performance chip upgrade to the car. Inside was the original Delco computer chip. I reinstalled the chip in the computer to see if it was faulty, then went on a 50 mile road trip (I know, gutsy, but I kept the tools and the aftermarket chip with me). The original chip appears to be sound, so I can only believe the aftermarket chip was added to increase performance. The only thing is, while I find all kinds of info explaining that it does in fact increase performance by adjusting the fuel/air mix and spark timing, I can't find a single place including the manufacturer's site that will tell me how much performance *is expected* to be increased. Does anyone have any ideas on how I would determine a horsepower boost short of a dyno session?

Thanks,
Chris

vinnies87 06-04-2007 12:48 PM

1st is Who's chip is it?
2nd: If its just the std HyperBull chip, you're not getting any performance really
3rd: Maybe if you post a pic of the chip, it might help

mig29man 06-04-2007 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by vinnies87 (Post 1560521612)
1st is Who's chip is it?
2nd: If its just the std HyperBull chip, you're not getting any performance really
3rd: Maybe if you post a pic of the chip, it might help

It is the Hypertech Street Runner Power Chip.

I will take a digital snapshot of the chip tonight and post a reply.

Aardwolf 06-04-2007 01:55 PM

Run a search here in C4 tech. on the Hypertech, you'll have plenty to read. Most think it is a waste of money. Getting a custom tune for fan settings costs less and there is no gain in HP.

mig29man 06-04-2007 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Aardwolf (Post 1560522562)
Run a search here in C4 tech. on the Hypertech, you'll have plenty to read. Most think it is a waste of money. Getting a custom tune for fan settings costs less and there is no gain in HP.

It appears you are correct based on the posts I have read. From what I can gather, there is no "hp gain" by using a chip such as this. I think I will simply eBay the thing and get rid of it.

AGENT 86 06-04-2007 09:40 PM

I found a good use for mine. My hypertech has a removable prom, so I can throw the prom away and install a custom prom without an adapter. :lol:

TheCorvetteKid 06-04-2007 11:01 PM

Chances are there's very little you're gaining from the Street Runner chip. And if there are any gains, you aren't going to notice them.

I installed a Hypertech Thermomaster chip in my '89 last year (got it for a good price here from one of our forum members) and the only advantage I found is it turns the radiator fan on much sooner than stock. Other then that, I haven't noticed any benefit in streetability or power.

I don't think you'll get much for the chip on eBay, but if you can, then go ahead and dump it. Then, if you really want to change the programming of your car, check out the Scan & Tune section. There's TONS of information there!

Good luck :thumbs:

vinnies87 06-05-2007 12:34 AM

You can also hook up a manual fan on/off switch. Only do a chip tune upgrade if your engine is upgraded, other than that, save your money for something worth while.

Corvette1989C4 10-08-2018 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by vinnies87 (Post 1560532098)
You can also hook up a manual fan on/off switch. Only do a chip tune upgrade if your engine is upgraded, other than that, save your money for something worth while.

Do not do this. There is a better way. And several reasons why not to do this. One, it's a fire hazard when done improperly, and unnecessary. Two, any additional electrical load will apply to the alternator and result in micro hp loss. Yes folks, the load placed on the alternator does rob HP. As does the smog pump, a/c, air flow, spark, etc. It's a tight world trying to eak out a few HP.Now, you definitely want to cool your beast down for several reasons. First off, the hotter the engine and intake, the hotter the air. The hotter the air, the more it expands. The more it expands, the less air can fill the combustion chamber. Think of it like fat people vs skinny people. If the people are skinny (cold and compressed air) the more you can fit into an auditorium. The hotter (or fatter the people) the fewer will fit in the auditorium. Same for combustion chamber. So let's cool down your ride the right way, save your engine and gain some performance.
First, swap out the fan temperature switch to a switch somewhere between 180- 200 degrees. Stock is 220-240 to kick the fan on. I recommend 195, because mine cruises at about that. Also match the thermostat to that range as well. The fan switch is easy to find, it's below the exhaust manifold, near one of the spark plus and has a button top. I'll explain in a bit. Next, find the heater line that goes through the intake plenum and block it off. This was designed to preheat the air for driving in winter. Problem is, it doesn't turn off for summer driving.
Here's the fan switch sending unit location:
https://www.vettetube.com/c4-corvett...4p-fan-switch/
Install a fresh fuel filter and spark plugs. I recommend platinum plugs, science proves that even a small introduction of platinum into combustion increases a fuller burn.
Open up your air filter housing with tin snips or buy a k&N cold air system

dozerman1 10-08-2018 09:19 PM

check out scotthansen.net.. He can program a chip for you and minimal cost. Great guy and very knowledgeable....his p# is 775-530-5892...... talk to him, he very helpful....

Tom400CFI 10-09-2018 12:15 AM

I bet the OP has moved on....thread is 11 years old. :thumbs:

3D-Aircrew 10-11-2018 12:18 PM

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...bb6f26c8a5.gif
Zombie Thread