CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Automatic Z06 coming?? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/1745830-automatic-z06-coming.html)

crystalvette 07-01-2007 04:30 AM

Automatic Z06 coming??

According to Corvetteconti's website it is??

Add a Targa and watch sales fly!

Anyone else heard this?

07c6vette 07-01-2007 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by crystalvette (Post 1560893741)
According to Corvetteconti's website it is??

Add a Targa and watch sales fly!

Anyone else heard this?

if that's so, i'll trade in my 07 CY lol:thumbs:

keyplyr 07-01-2007 04:40 AM

If they offered a vert, A6, Z06... that would really be something!

LS1LT1 07-01-2007 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by crystalvette (Post 1560893741)
Automatic Z06 coming??

I highly doubt it, but ya never know. :steering: ;)

WMark 07-01-2007 05:16 AM

:willy: :willy:
"NEXT, is an Auto Z06…yep, I said it and not to upset our racing fans out there. I know in my heart an AUTO Z06 will sell off the charts, that is GM does not wait to long to wake up and see the retail opportunity there. The fans would even settle for less 0-60, less top speed all just to say “I too, have a Z06,” the baddest Corvette in the land!"

That's what Rick says, but I hope he's wrong (sorry, Rick). And forget the "targa" top. Why would you throw away the structural rigidity of the current platform? Targas (?), removable tops mean less strength.

If GM came out with a sophisticated auto/manual for the Z06, maybe. Can't see the current A6 fitting the bill.

Smells bad!!

CaBhaal 07-01-2007 09:29 AM

If GM releases this, I know for sure a friend of mine will get one. He was going to settle for a coupe, because he could not get the Z06 in automatic.

ProfMoriarty 07-01-2007 09:44 AM

It's only a matter of time.

Modern automatics are faster, more consistent, potentially more economical, and require less maintenance than manual trannys.

Manufacture an auto like the A6 and add a bit more snap to the paddle shifts and you can please a good chunk of the manual-or-die crowd who enjoy the perception of power that a manual gives from its combination of accelerator lift and abrupt shifting. They're already superior to SMGs (which, in city traffic, feel like they're being driven by someone who is just learning how to drive stick) for anything but track driving...and what percentage of performance car drivers regularly (or ever) track their car?

Paddle shifts (regardless of the type of transmission they're shifting) are becoming the norm.

I wouldn't be surprised if within 20 years the only cars (with the exception of niche supercars) that won't have an automatic transmission of some type (clutch to clutch, CVT, etc.) as their only transmission will be entry level 4 banger econoboxes.

jschindler 07-01-2007 09:48 AM

I personally don't like them, but I can't ignore the trend towards the manual transmissions that are shifter automatically (call them what you want). I could see GM outsourcing a transmission like this for the Z06 to test the waters, and offer to see what the market will bear.

The "paddle" shift automatic available in the base Vettes seems a little too low tech to me for a car in the Z06's class.

Tom_Slick 07-01-2007 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by keyplyr (Post 1560893766)
If they offered a vert, A6, Z06... that would really be something!

... paint it LMB, and it would be perfect! http://i15.tinypic.com/5zbekr7.gif%5B/

su8pack1 07-01-2007 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by keyplyr (Post 1560893766)
If they offered a vert, A6, Z06... that would really be someth

:iagree: :thumbs:

mpuzach 07-01-2007 10:57 AM

So far, Conti's site is the only place I've seen this claim being made.

UTVOL06 07-01-2007 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by WMark (Post 1560893811)
:willy: :willy:
"NEXT, is an Auto Z06…yep, I said it and not to upset our racing fans out there. I know in my heart an AUTO Z06 will sell off the charts, that is GM does not wait to long to wake up and see the retail opportunity there. The fans would even settle for less 0-60, less top speed all just to say “I too, have a Z06,” the baddest Corvette in the land!"

That's what Rick says, but I hope he's wrong (sorry, Rick). And forget the "targa" top. Why would you throw away the structural rigidity of the current platform? Targas (?), removable tops mean less strength.

If GM came out with a sophisticated auto/manual for the Z06, maybe. Can't see the current A6 fitting the bill.

Smells bad!!

:iagree: Making a Z06 into some watered down female friendly version will really make the Z seem like a lesser car to me. Keep the Z06 a manual and non-targa for rigidity. Only exception would be a true F1 style gearbox with paddleshift available as a 2nd option to the stick.:ack:

Notice: Neither Ferrari, Dodge Viper, Lambo, or Ford make a automatic in their flag ship performance vehicles. ...for a reason!:nono:No slushboxes allowed! DSG or F1 gear box would be faster and a true 2nd option to a stick in the Z.

M6 Vetter 07-01-2007 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by UTVOL06 (Post 1560895699)
Making a Z06 into some watered down female friendly version will really make the Z seem like a lesser car to me.

:iagree: Cars like the Z06 are supposed to be manual IMO

timd38 07-01-2007 11:23 AM

Warranty costs would kill them.

Wayne O 07-01-2007 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by ProfMoriarty (Post 1560894935)
It's only a matter of time.

Modern automatics are faster, more consistent, potentially more economical, and require less maintenance than manual trannys.

Manufacture an auto like the A6 and add a bit more snap to the paddle shifts and you can please a good chunk of the manual-or-die crowd who enjoy the perception of power that a manual gives from its combination of accelerator lift and abrupt shifting. They're already superior to SMGs (which, in city traffic, feel like they're being driven by someone who is just learning how to drive stick) for anything but track driving...and what percentage of performance car drivers regularly (or ever) track their car?

Paddle shifts (regardless of the type of transmission they're shifting) are becoming the norm.

I wouldn't be surprised if within 20 years the only cars (with the exception of niche supercars) that won't have an automatic transmission of some type (clutch to clutch, CVT, etc.) as their only transmission will be entry level 4 banger econoboxes.

I agree with the gist of what you're saying....the 'handwriting's on the wall' with respect to the automatic transmission in a high performance 'sports' car.

I do note, however, GM still rates the manual-shift with superior gas mileage as well as superior straight-line performance times. There still exists something more than the "perception" of power and performance with the manual shift...perhaps not for the 'average' driver but it's still there.

I don’t see a huge difference with “maintenance” between the two but reliability may be another issue. Certainly the manual shift has its own quirks and suffers from breakdowns like anything mechanical but it seems to me I read a disproportionate amount of complaints or issues regarding the A6 (not that the forum is truly representative).

Delayed shift problems, TC related issues and potential mechanic problems notwithstanding; the automatic transmission undeniably possesses certain advantages. My main ‘complaint’ about an automatic transmission is that to me, it takes-away a certain level of driver skill I still associate with ‘performance’ driving…going up and down through the gears…rev-matching…double-clutching, etc. To me the driver skill demanded from the manual shift is the ‘fun factor’ that tips the scale in favor of the manual shift.

I will, however, admit to a certain amount of envy and excitement as I hear a Formula One race car down-shifting hard into a corner. I’ll never say never about an automatic but for now I am happier with a manual shift.

Chupacabra 07-01-2007 11:41 AM

I think that would be a tremendously bad idea. The Z06 is already in the hands of plenty of people who have enough money for one but don't necessarily posses the driving cred to deal with a car like that. I know there are some exceptions on the forum, but generally, if the only reason for avoiding the Z06 is the manual tranny, I doubt you're really a performance driving enthusiast. An auto just might open the floodgates even more. I think cars like the Z should stay what they are, and if that's your thing and you can handle it, go for it. The rest of us on the road would appreciate it if you know your limits, though.

Datawiz 07-01-2007 12:15 PM

I would get a A6 Z06 in a heartbeat. :yesnod: I prefer the automatic when I autocross. I care about winning. I don't miss a shift in an automatic. ;) With a Z06, I could still race in the SS class. If I mod my '05, I get booted from SS. I'm already at or near the top of SS. With a Z, I'd own it. :yesnod:

LouieM 07-01-2007 12:35 PM

I say Chevy should go for it. An A6 would widen the customer base for the Z06, which is money in GM's pocket, and there would be more hi-po Vettes on the street, which is good from any viewpoint. :thumbs:

Stingray23 07-01-2007 03:05 PM

Maybe Chevy doesnt want to widen its customer base for the ZO6. Why do you think there's a regular vette offered in automatic? The ZO6 is a specialty vehicle not meant for everyone. If you want one, you should know how to drive manual,plain and simple! Personaly, If they offered an auto ZO6, I would feel like my current ZO6 is less of a car. People buy these cars cause the are limited, and dont want everyone else owning them. Its really meant for the enthusiasts, not posers. If you cant handle a manual, or a car with this much power, you're looking for trouble and should not buy one. Automatic ZO6, whats next! A tampon dispensor in the glovebox!

Datawiz 07-01-2007 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Stingray23 (Post 1560897882)
Maybe Chevy doesnt want to widen its customer base for the ZO6. Why do you think there's a regular vette offered in automatic? The ZO6 is a specialty vehicle not meant for everyone. If you want one, you should know how to drive manual,plain and simple! Personaly, If they offered an auto ZO6, I would feel like my current ZO6 is less of a car. People buy these cars cause the are limited, and dont want everyone else owning them. Its really meant for the enthusiasts, not posers. If you cant handle a manual, or a car with this much power, you're looking for trouble and should not buy one. Automatic ZO6, whats next! A tampon dispensor in the glovebox!

So you're saying that someone like me, with about 1,300 miles of road course experience in a Vette, needs a tampon dispenser? I've had more than my share of manual sports cars. When racing, consistency counts. :flag: I'd take automatic Z06 in a second and I'm pretty sure I'll beat you every lap in your manually shifted one. ;)