CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   What is a degree torque wrench. (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/175393-what-is-a-degree-torque-wrench.html)

scorp508 10-30-2001 02:57 PM

What is a degree torque wrench.

This is a new one to me..... I know lb/ft and lb/in, but does it mean to torque something to say 22lbs and then torque to "80 degrees" as mentioned in another thread. Does that mean to torque em' to 22lbs, and then you turn the bolt another 80 degrees?

:confused:

Thanks!

Mez 10-30-2001 03:11 PM

Re: What is a degree torque wrench. (scorp508)

You are correct.

See my other thread for more information and links to sites giving a detailed explanation of the what and whys.

Romeo Barrera 10-30-2001 05:37 PM

Alot of torque-to-yield bolts specify you to torque to a certain point, you then tighten the bolt an additional amount of degrees. You know how when you're adjusting your rocker arms, they say tighten down to no play and then turn 1/4 or whatever turns further? It's similar. It's really common in torque-to-yield bolts, which are designed to stretch once you reach a certain torque reading. You can keep on tightening the bolt, but the bolt will stretch, and your torque reading will stay the same. If you keep on tightening it, the bolt will just keep on stretching and eventually break. This is why you torque it to somewhere near it's threshold and then you tighten an additional number of degrees.

scorp508 10-30-2001 05:40 PM

Re: What is a degree torque wrench. (Romeo Barrera)

Thanks.

Thats kinda cool.... looks like I have another tool to get if dad doesn't already have one. :)

Nathan Plemons 10-30-2001 05:57 PM

It's not really a torque wrench, at least I haven't seen one. Rather it's a degree measuring device that goes on your wrench, kinda like an extension. I saw one at autozone for $20 or so.

scorp508 10-30-2001 05:59 PM

Re: What is a degree torque wrench. (Nathan Plemons)

It's not really a torque wrench, at least I haven't seen one. Rather it's a degree measuring device that goes on your wrench, kinda like an extension. I saw one at autozone for $20 or so.
I consider that a tool. :)

Nathan Plemons 10-30-2001 06:09 PM

Oh yeah, it's an awesome tool and I need to get one. Just don't go looking for a torque wrench with this feature built in. :cheers:

AquaMetallic94LT1 10-31-2001 12:24 AM

I used one on my 383 to tighten the rod bolts to spec. Its much easier to use than the dial indicator method on rod bolts.

Mez 10-31-2001 02:26 PM

Just bought one at Autozone for $9.99 + tax.

Its a round device about 3 inches in diameter. You plug it in between 1/2" drive socket and breaker bar. An "L" shapped hook clamps to the device and hooks around a nearby rocker stud to keep the degree scale wheel in one place. As you tighten the bolt, an indicator needle moves around the scale to show the number of degrees of rotation. Pretty simple device.

[Modified by Mez, 12:30 PM 10/31/2001]