CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general-119/)
-   -   What Makes An Early/Late Model 1969 ??? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general/1764960-what-makes-an-early-late-model-1969-a.html)

Mosse57 07-22-2007 11:05 PM

What Makes An Early/Late Model 1969 ???

Another beginers question everyone!
What is considered an early model, and when is it considered late model 1969?

My VIN is 194679S713249, indicating a build date of January 17th,1969.

Is this a early or late model?:bigears

Thank you again everyone.

TheSkunkWorks 07-22-2007 11:38 PM

Best info I have, from the Vette Vues '68 - '72 Fact Book, is that production from 14,453 and later have the round cowl vent control knobs, and would be considered as late production units.

However, I don't know if that's the exact cut off number or not.

A couple other minor differences between early and late production cited are the absence in later units of the plastic rub block in the jamb and the brass wedge on the door with which it is to make contact, and the absence in earlier units of the rubber pad over the dimmer switch.

Thus, you apparently have an "early" '69. (Lucky you!) Hope that helps.

69FASTFUN 07-22-2007 11:48 PM

My 69 is 16388 built 02/14/69
My car has a lot of the early parts but late enough to have the factory side exhaust

Mosse57 07-22-2007 11:59 PM

Early/Late, what is the difference besides when getting parts.
Thats why Im asking, I'd like to order radiator seals from Dr. Rebuild and don't know what I have.
I do have the round knob under the dash that is chromed between the light and wiper door overides, what is the for,Im scared to play with it!

HamadUP 07-23-2007 02:17 AM

The wipers door vacuum actuator was the large type on early and turned into the small, headlight actuator-like on late.

Mosse57 07-23-2007 07:22 AM

All the manuals are on order for this car.
It has the lights and wiper door by-pass pull type knobs on each side of this chrome knob that turns off/on by rotating to the side,no idea on what its for?
The reset for the tripodometer hangs from under the dash.
So much to do on this car, just need to know whats right.
Don't get me wrong, it'll be fun doing most of it, just expensive!

Roughrider 07-23-2007 09:09 AM

A January car would be considered an early '69. Mine has a February 20 build date and has early features. The biggest giveaway is the vacuum actuator on the right side of the firewall...it's the coffee can type. Later '69 cars had the actuator that looked like two small pie pans stuck together.

Easy Mike 07-23-2007 09:10 AM

Early/late can vary. There were a lot of changes made on the '69s. A '69 assembled in January isn't particularly "early" and certainly is not "late" (production ran through December 1969).

Early/late would depend upon what part/change you were looking at.

You should purchase the '69 Assembly Instruction Manual. The AIM lists revision dates for running changes made to the cars. Rick Bizzoco's 1969 Stingray Guidebook is also a great source for '69 drivers.

:)

Frank 07-23-2007 12:08 PM

You should purchase the '69 Assembly Instruction Manual. The AIM lists revision dates for running changes made to the cars. Rick Bizzoco's 1969 Stingray Guidebook is also a great source for '69 drivers.

This Guidebook is very good with detailed photos showing the differences and changes made during the year. I got one from Crane's Corvette Supply way back when they first came out.

RPOL68 07-23-2007 12:46 PM

You will have to look at what you have.

:iagree:

Early, late, 1st design, 2nd design, there were running changes all through the 69 production year. And with the strike in 1969, production ran through December 1969 (15 months).

As previously stated, early / late depends on the part your are looking at. My car is an Oct 3 1968 build date and has some 1968 weather strip. There is also early and late 69 styles. Grills, knobs, trim and seals all changed during the year.

But you are asking specifically about radiator seals. The fan shroud is the same. All seals come with an adhesive strip and are glued to the shroud. I believe the early/late change date is Dec 16, 1968 and the difference in the radiator support seals for the BB is that the early ones did not use any push in fasteners to hold the seal to the support. 2nd design (early) used 6 fasteners and the 3rd design (late) used 7 fasteners.

Early SB also had no fasteners, late had 7 for copper radiator and 6 for aluminum radiators. I think you will have to have the radiator out to count the fasteners. They push through a hole in the seal and into a hole in the radiator support.

If you are not working on a NCRS car use the later style with fasteners even if you have to drill holes. They stay put better that's why they changed. I have reglued mine more than once.

Corbis 11-09-2017 09:13 AM

I have a '69 coupe with a birth date of Oct 8, 1969, (31878) which most would consider a "late" car. When my dad bought the car in 1981, the nose had already been swapped to a '70 for reasons unknown, but most likely a wreck (wheelwell flares and side marker lights gave it away), but the gills and grills are correct. Other internal clues remain as well: two headlight door actuators (one sits unused), a 1970 vacuum tank, several dormant vacuum lines and washer fluid reservoir all tell the tale.

But the early-late confusion continues; a couple components that have never been changed in since we've owned the car are "early" indicators:
- big can wiper door actuator
- firewall splash shields are WHITE under black paint and grime.

If anyone has any insight to these little anomalies, I'd be curious to know. Maybe this car was built with leftover parts to 'clear the shelves' for 1970 parts(?).

Alan 71 11-09-2017 09:42 AM

Hi C,
Looking at the underbody heat shield info in the new edition of the NCRS 68-69 Technical Information Manual and Judging Guide I get the impression that while one might EXPECT to see the metal shields on a car assembled when yours was, it would have been POSSIBLE for it to have left St.Louis with the white plastic shields.

On a car that's quite untouched it's easier to believe what one's eyes are seeing than on a car like yours that's had the front 'worked on'.
?
Regards,
Alan

sullyman56 11-09-2017 10:14 AM

The chrome knob you’re asking about is the wiper override switch. If you turn it as the wipers are running, they will stop. This allows you to change out the wiper blades.

Corbis 11-09-2017 10:28 AM

Thanks Alan, tho my car is not NCRS caliber, I try to stay as original as possible. As I restore, repair and replace components is my Historical curiosity when I discover parts that don’t jive with the VIN and it’s birthday

THX
Bill

Originally Posted by Alan 71 (Post 1595933228)
Hi C,
Looking at the underbody heat shield info in the new edition of the NCRS 68-69 Technical Information Manual and Judging Guide I get the impression that while one might EXPECT to see the metal shields on a car assembled when yours was, it would have been POSSIBLE for it to have left St.Louis with the white plastic shields.

On a car that's quite untouched it's easier to believe what one's eyes are seeing than on a car like yours that's had the front 'worked on'.
?
Regards,
Alan

rogernison 11-09-2017 12:04 PM

Chrome wiper knob

Originally Posted by sullyman56 (Post 1595933450)
The chrome knob you’re asking about is the wiper override switch. If you turn it as the wipers are running, they will stop. This allows you to change out the wiper blades.

I find it interesting that my Jan ‘69 s/n 13758 has a black plastic knob
For the wipers. When did they use chrome knobs?
Fairly certain mine is original as I am 2nd owner, purchased it in ‘73,

sullyman56 11-09-2017 12:08 PM

My 68 is a January build and has the chrome knob. It would be interesting to find out how far into 69 that GM used the same design.

JC68 11-09-2017 03:54 PM

Corbis

The big can wiper actuator was used until late Sept. or early Oct. 69 in production, so it could be original to your car.

John

Corbis 11-09-2017 06:36 PM

Thanks John, What is your source for that info? A website or book? I have purchased the AIM and Rick's guidebook, can't wait to dig into them for more trivia.

Best,
Bill

Originally Posted by JC68 (Post 1595935944)
Corbis

The big can wiper actuator was used until late Sept. or early Oct. 69 in production, so it could be original to your car.

John

JC68 11-09-2017 08:31 PM

Bill

The date I gave is based on owner responses to the question on the NCRS website and many observations on my own. I don't think I've ever seen a firm change over date for the actuator in any source I can remember.

John

Corbis 11-09-2017 09:03 PM

Ok thanks.
Bill

Originally Posted by JC68 (Post 1595937775)
Bill

The date I gave is based on owner responses to the question on the NCRS website and many observations on my own. I don't think I've ever seen a firm change over date for the actuator in any source I can remember.

John