CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Tech (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech-1/)
-   -   Vibration on Idle in Drive or R (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/1767890-vibration-on-idle-in-drive-or-r.html)

RogerArrambide 07-26-2007 12:20 AM

Vibration on Idle in Drive or R

Hello people...

MY Vette has a problem..

When press the brake and select DRIVE without take off my foot from brake, feels vibration, I think in rear part if I select "N" dont feel the vibration, select Reverse and feel again..

So When Im with brake and Drive or Reverse without moving, feels the vibration...

The car has only 4K miles and never en race track or even street racing, just a few accelerated uses..

The car was in garage most of the time from the last 8 years (Is 1998)...

What do you guys think?

67weaver 07-26-2007 09:32 AM

My car sometimes vibrates from the power it has, I dont know if thats what you are feeling or not. But when I feel it I dont think problem, I think amazing

jedblanks 07-26-2007 09:43 AM

4000 miles?

The car is shaking because its LIVID from sitting so long.

I824RES 07-26-2007 10:16 AM

Mine does it a little as well. I have an A4. I do pick up a vibration when i'm cruising around 55 to 75 mph. Its happens about every 2 seconds. I just put on toyo proxies and that didn't fix it. It seems like its the motor doing the shaking thats vibrating the whole car.

RogerArrambide 07-26-2007 10:40 AM

Maybe I dont was explicit..

The kind of vibration isnīt the engine, I mean, feels an sound like something is loose but when started from now feels and sound more...

I thinkg that may be the mounts but is practically impossible because of the low use of the car...

I Still dont see under the car, but, I dont know why, I thinks that might be common...

Again: If I select any gear (A4), I mean, other than Parking or Neutral, I hear a vibration or something knockin too fast I dont know other word for vibration but most from hearing than feeling you know?..

I hear it just backwards, back driverīs side..... I think the blades or the sheets of thing iron called I think as heat dissipator or I dont know how but is that kind of noise...

I hope you could understand..

thanks

Black_6-Speed 07-26-2007 10:46 AM

Mine seems to vibrate fairly heavily at an idle, but feels like it smooths out just above idle (maybe 1500rpm). Mine is a six speed, so it is entirely free of load at an idle with the clutch in, but I would imagine that in an automatic car, the vibration might be even more noticeable because of the little load the engine takes on when put into gear (torque converter?). Mine has 9K miles so I would assume the vibration is just the cam and the nature of the LS1.

JW Motorsports 07-26-2007 01:03 PM

Are you saying it vibrates when you brake or put it in any gear besides N? I have the same issue if so.

RogerArrambide 07-26-2007 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Jhonathan_W (Post 1561235940)
Are you saying it vibrates when you brake or put it in any gear besides N? I have the same issue if so.

Yes, but like I said, more than feel the vibrating, listen a noise or a noisy vibration:smash:

MemphisBlu 07-26-2007 01:45 PM

I have the same problem. It sounds like a rattling of something between the seats toward the rear of the car when idling in drive or reverse. :lurk:

RogerArrambide 07-26-2007 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by lgmJr (Post 1561236540)
I have the same problem. It sounds like a rattling of something between the seats toward the rear of the car when idling in drive or reverse. :lurk:

EXACTLY!!!!!
Any one had the same problem, and already resolved it?
:crazy:

tonio76 07-26-2007 05:55 PM

I have a 99 A4 with 45k miles and have the same problem too!! I posted about a month or so ago, but never got a resolution. Its like a rumbling noise or vibration of sort, only when in R,D or any foward gear, immediately stops in N.

Lord Vetter 07-26-2007 06:07 PM

At about what RPM's are you experiencing this vibration?

Trace

tonio76 07-26-2007 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Lord Vetter (Post 1561240432)
At about what RPM's are you experiencing this vibration?

Trace

For me it's right 700-1000 rpm, just with the tranny in D, with brakes applied, or in reverse.

RogerArrambide 07-26-2007 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by tonio76 (Post 1561240581)
For me it's right 700-1000 rpm, just with the tranny in D, with brakes applied, or in reverse.

The same for me...

If Im in 850rpms and take off my foot from brake is still rattling and aply gas and when the engine is almost 0% vibration, dont sounds that noise or vibration....

The problem is that something are not attached well to car and with the normal vibration of the engine on, "moves" that "something" but the distance between that part and the part where are knocking are so little that knock with a little movement of the car...

The question is: WHAT PART ARES LOOSE???:willy:

SilverBullit02 07-26-2007 06:50 PM

I had the same thing a few years ago. This may sound strange, but, it's you're alternator. Mine sounded and felt like an exhaust pipe rattling against the floor. There is a "clutch" in or on the alternator. When it sticks, it transmits a vibration through the belt through the entire engine. I have several friends who have had the same problem. A new alternatior fixes the problem.

PS... there is a tech bullitin from GM on this vibration. any good dealer should be able to get you a copy. an experienced tech will know right away when he feels it.

Point & Shoot 07-26-2007 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by tonio76 (Post 1561240247)
I have a 99 A4 with 45k miles and have the same problem too!! I posted about a month or so ago, but never got a resolution. Its like a rumbling noise or vibration of sort, only when in R,D or any foward gear, immediately stops in N.

Guys, this sounds very similar to a problem I had with my '01 A4 coupe -it would vibrate, almost shudder when I put in in gear from drive or neutral - it sounded really bad.

Well it turned out to be a bad clutch on the front of the alternator (cracked), and A/C belt tensioner conspiring to make my car sound like it was falling apart.

So changed all those, and put in gatorback belts and SILENCE......in fact, I've had friends comment how quiet the car idles. In fact, I can put it in drive & then hit the A/C and perfectly quiet.

Check those things out and see. :thumbs:

Point & Shoot 07-26-2007 07:27 PM

Silverbullit02 actually described this better than my post - that's exactly what it sounded like .......... so u should have the answer now.

Good luck & let us know how you make out.

RogerArrambide 07-26-2007 07:49 PM

SOUNDS IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, Iīll check that, my car has only 4K miles so more than impossible... in this case, I need to replace which part of alternator?:willy: :willy: :willy:

tonio76 07-26-2007 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by SilverBullit02 (Post 1561241036)
I had the same thing a few years ago. This may sound strange, but, it's you're alternator. Mine sounded and felt like an exhaust pipe rattling against the floor. There is a "clutch" in or on the alternator. When it sticks, it transmits a vibration through the belt through the entire engine. I have several friends who have had the same problem. A new alternatior fixes the problem.

PS... there is a tech bullitin from GM on this vibration. any good dealer should be able to get you a copy. an experienced tech will know right away when he feels it.

Oh geez, a new alternator, thats just great! If thats truly the culprit, I'm glad it wasnt something more serious. Thanks!!

JW Motorsports 07-27-2007 05:24 PM

I didn't think it would be that. I thought I would be replacing the rear end. Thanks for the advice.