CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   Stuck door window - easy fix!!!! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/1768101-stuck-door-window-easy-fix.html)

LT1SPUD 07-26-2007 10:08 AM

Stuck door window - easy fix!!!!

2 Attachment(s)
My passenger door window became stuck/busted the other day in the up position....push the down button and all i get is a "click" sound coming from the door....i'm thinking "ok, this is going to be a pain to fix"... not so!!!! i relate my woes to a good friend and he says to bring the Vette over to his house and he'll have it fixed in 5 minutes....I'M IN!!!!

Tools required:

1 small pocket screwdriver
1 long necked screwdriver
1 hammer
an assistant (unless you're a three armed mutant)

1st: remove the small cover on the door just down and back of the hand grip with the small screwdriver

cover removed:
Attachment 48178450

next, align long necked screwdriver under the rear hex head bolt as shown:
Attachment 48178451

now, while having the assistant turn the key to the "on" position and then repeatedly pushing the window "down" button, give the big screwdriver a couple of whacks with the hammer......window should roll on down.......:thumbs:

that is all.......:cheers:

csexton 07-26-2007 10:09 AM

Good info :thumbs: :cheers:

Chuck

fixvet 07-26-2007 11:05 AM

I've heard before that this is only a temporary fix. Your motor is probably going out. Good luck:thumbs:

Phidelt076 07-26-2007 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by fixvet (Post 1561234230)
I've heard before that this is only a temporary fix. Your motor is probably going out. Good luck:thumbs:

The first time mine stuck, banging on the door with hand worked. The second time it took removing the door panel and banging on the motor itself with a wrench. The first time it worked for a little over a month. The second time it worked for 5 days.

New window motor went in last weekend. Found it on Ebay for $125, GM charges $295. It took about 2 hours to swap out and I fixed a water leak I had in the process.

Total parts & labor to fix through Chevy averaged $600 locally (3 quotes). I'd do a little homework now and be prepared to swap the window motor assembly. It was a pretty easy DIY job.

istsme98 07-26-2007 04:57 PM

Good to know in a pinch:thumbs:

Vetteman Jack 07-26-2007 05:19 PM

At least you got it working again. But I agree, probably just a temporary fix that will eventually require a new window motor.

SEAMOORE 07-26-2007 06:51 PM

I'm the one that did the fix for LT1SPUD. I don't agree that it's a temporary fix. I last did it on my previous C5, a 99 FRC approx 2 years ago and it is still working. My boss bought it and I see him almost every day. This little trick has never failed for me and I have done it on at least 5 different Vettes. My thoughts are that it quits working because of lack of use. It's always the passenger window, not once the driver's window because it gets used. I'll spend 5 minutes several times before I pay $$$ for new parts and labor. Try it.

Thrash 07-26-2007 08:48 PM

It's not the motor, it's the contacts. Hand-banging while pressing the button will work wonders, but the hard hit with the screw driver and hammer is more direct, cleans the contact with a jarring jolt, and since doing this same hammer move 3 months ago ... the pass-window works every time. Before ordering a new motor, clean, sand and crimp all the motor and switch contacts or solder them (solder is easy to remove when you need to). That's my 2 cents.

The Wanderer 07-26-2007 08:55 PM

Funny ... happened to me 18 months ago ... I did not use the window switch but a few times since I bought it new. Exercised (up & down) a few times a week for the last 18 months and no problems! GO FIGURE :eek:

Suvi 07-28-2007 07:29 PM

HEY!!! IT WORKED!!!!

I have tried all of the methods that I have found in this forum... I have taken the door and the window motor COMPLETELY apart 4 times :willy: ... But this one worked!!

I had fixed the motor "once and for all"... and found a way to keep it rolling. The thing is to remember to to this trick every time someone fiddles with the window (repair shops etc...) and rolls it up. I always let the window up all the way, and then down about 1/4 inch or less, by clicking the "window down" button twice really fast(it takes practice to be fast enough :thumbs: ). This relieves the pressure, and window won't get stuck. The window is open only a little, no water or other crap will get in.

I had forgotten to do this trick after getting bearings replaced, and they had rolled the window up again. I tried this screwdriver banging , and WAS SO RELIEVED that I didn't have to take the door apart AGAIN!

So, thank you for posting this one!!! :cheers:

Suvi

blacksedan87 07-28-2007 07:42 PM

Never a problem with a convertible....windows get plenty of exercise!:cool:

DeeGee 07-29-2007 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by blacksedan87 (Post 1561266259)
Never a problem with a convertible....windows get plenty of exercise!:cool:

:yesnod: :party:

AC54ME 07-29-2007 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by SEAMOORE (Post 1561241048)
I'm the one that did the fix for LT1SPUD. I don't agree that it's a temporary fix. I last did it on my previous C5, a 99 FRC approx 2 years ago and it is still working. My boss bought it and I see him almost every day. This little trick has never failed for me and I have done it on at least 5 different Vettes. My thoughts are that it quits working because of lack of use. It's always the passenger window, not once the driver's window because it gets used. I'll spend 5 minutes several times before I pay $$$ for new parts and labor. Try it.

:iagree:

I've even seen GM dealers do this instead of the ~$3-400 replacement of the motor :yesnod:

SEAMOORE 07-31-2007 01:24 PM

Mark, here is a TTT for you. More people need to know about this easy fix.

cjlaw73 04-17-2008 12:37 PM

Just tried this method myslef with no success. How hard its it to remove the door panel?

wit2pz 04-17-2008 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by cjlaw73 (Post 1565060511)
Just tried this method myslef with no success. How hard its it to remove the door panel?

Not too bad... pop out the fasteners and use a torx to unscrew the two screws behind the handle. Your window control assembly lift up and drop down inside the door panel.

Remove the speaker, and the back of the motor is visible through the speaker hole. Rap on it a few times with a wrench or screwdriver handle while holding the window switch down.

I've done this two summers in a row now.:thumbs:

PS... I believe the detailed door panel removal instructions are on the Vette Essentials website.:yesnod:

Choreo 04-17-2008 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Phidelt076 (Post 1561238681)
The first time mine stuck, banging on the door with hand worked. The second time it took removing the door panel and banging on the motor itself with a wrench. The first time it worked for a little over a month. The second time it worked for 5 days.

New window motor went in last weekend. Found it on Ebay for $125, GM charges $295. It took about 2 hours to swap out and I fixed a water leak I had in the process.

Total parts & labor to fix through Chevy averaged $600 locally (3 quotes). I'd do a little homework now and be prepared to swap the window motor assembly. It was a pretty easy DIY job.

Same experience.

JOHN MOORE 04-18-2008 09:56 AM

When I bought my '00 coupe in '03, the passenger window did not work. The dealer fixed it-no charge. A couple of weeks ago, it stopped working, again. I read several posts, and tried everything suggested except for removing the door panel and striking the motor...no help. I tried the screwdriver method last night, and it worked! When removing the little access panel, I noticed most of the prongs were broken...made me wonder if the dealership used this method when they fixed it when I had the orginial problem in '03!!!

Bakersfield 04-18-2008 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by cjlaw73 (Post 1565060511)

It is easy. Read on: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1606865

cuspid 05-01-2008 12:28 PM

It just worked for me. THANKS