CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   1968 Corvette Brake light switch? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/1797079-1968-corvette-brake-light-switch.html)

C5-Lt4 08-27-2007 03:09 PM

1968 Corvette Brake light switch?

Can anyone tell me where I can find a brake light switch for my 68 Corvette? This is the switch that makes the brake lights come on when you push down the brake pedal. It shows to be discontinued at ecklers.
Will any other switch work if I cant find one? Thanks, Jon.

Sully1882 08-27-2007 04:41 PM

just above and in front of the brake pedal

I am pretty sure it is like my 72 and if so then it is called a stop light switch in most liturature. It is mounted just in front of the brake pedal arm where it comes off the brake pedal mounting bracket.... looks alot like the parking brake switch.

hth,

Sully

7T1vette 08-27-2007 04:43 PM

The brake light switch is located under the driver's side dash panel. It is mounted near the brake pedal lever so that movement of the lever actuates it. You should also see a small metal can capacitor there (which eliminates any electrical 'pop' from the contacts, which could be objectionable when listening to the radio). If that switch is discontinued [from all sources...which I doubt], you might consider disassembling it to clean up the contacts...the likely problem. Or you can substitute any similar switch which can mount as you need and carry at least as much amperage as the one you presently have (rating should be on the body of the switch).

sweethence 08-27-2007 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by 7T1vette (Post 1561678334)
The brake light switch is located under the driver's side dash panel. It is mounted near the brake pedal lever so that movement of the lever actuates it. You should also see a small metal can capacitor there (which eliminates any electrical 'pop' from the contacts, which could be objectionable when listening to the radio). If that switch is discontinued [from all sources...which I doubt], you might consider disassembling it to clean up the contacts...the likely problem. Or you can substitute any similar switch which can mount as you need and carry at least as much amperage as the one you presently have (rating should be on the body of the switch).

The orignal 68 switch is a square box with an arm that is actuated by the brake pedal, impossible to find, but you can easily adapt the 69 and up cylender switch with the metal bracket with a minor change to the connector style..... I had to do this on mine, and the cylender styel switch is still readily available

cheers

Manuel Azevedo 08-27-2007 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by sweethence (Post 1561678571)
The orignal 68 switch is a square box with an arm that is actuated by the brake pedal, impossible to find, but you can easily adapt the 69 and up cylender switch with the metal bracket with a minor change to the connector style..... I had to do this on mine, and the cylender styel switch is still readily available

cheers

:iagree:

This what I had to do with 68 also. I did fine one orignal switch for $300. No way I'm doing that! :ack:

7T1vette 08-27-2007 08:23 PM

I still say that you have nothing to lose [and everything to gain] by disassembling and trying to repair the original switch. So what if you destroy it...it doesn't work now! If it is riveted together, drill out the rivet heads. Chances are it just has bad/dirty/corroded/burned contacts. There's not much else in a switch to go bad. Contacts are easy to replace...and even easier to clean. You can learn something by digging into it; and you just might be able to salvage it. Why not?

PRNDL 08-27-2007 09:08 PM

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=272851

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1607588

Backfire41 01-22-2012 03:34 PM

1968 Corvette brake light switch replacement

I can see my switch on my 68 and have power going in to it but not out. I have searched to try to find a illustrated guide on how to replace it but no luck. What do i have to do to remove this switch? Thanks

601P 01-22-2012 05:19 PM

I replaced my 68 brake light switch in aug 2010
Purchased it from Corvette Central for $55.00
Works just like the original. Part # 593034

PRNDL 01-22-2012 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Backfire41 (Post 1579805467)
I can see my switch on my 68 and have power going in to it but not out. I have searched to try to find a illustrated guide on how to replace it but no luck. What do i have to do to remove this switch? Thanks

Now there is a good question! Worthy of bringing up this 4 year old thread. One of the reasons I adapted a later style brakelight switch and did not replace the 68 one-year-only switch was because I couldn't reach it! It is way up under the dash. You are supposed to just reach up there, disconnect the old one and connect the new one. The hard part is lying on your back and squeezing up there to get to it. I have been told it is much easier if you remove the driver's seat. With the seat in I just got too claustrophobic lying on my back with my head under the dash. Couldn't do it.

601P 01-22-2012 06:03 PM

I didnt notice this thread was old, It was hard to access, however
I was able to replace it without removing the seat or anything else.

DZRick 01-22-2012 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Backfire41 (Post 1579805467)

There are 2 bolts that need removing and of course the harness needs to be unplugged. It can be done without removing the seat but it is much easier with the seat out.
I can't remember what size the bolts are but I'd try 1/4" and 5/16".
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...ch002Small.jpg

Willcox Corvette 01-22-2012 10:32 PM

UGG.... 4 yr old post

loup68 01-23-2012 12:50 PM

Changed mine to 69 style.

I have had my 68 for 38+ years. It was 4 years old and then the brake light switch went after about a year. Bought a new one and it lasted about a year and a half. Bought another and it went about 2 years later. I had to put the box it came in on top of the brake pedal and push it down with my head to adjust the switch. So much fun! I gave up and found out that 69 up have a different switch. I bought the brackets from Chevy and changed it. Except 68's do not have a hole in the pedal for the one bracket that hits the plunger. I was so mad that I brazed the bracket to the pedal with my torch. By the way, I used a used junk yard switch and it is still working. I have 110,000 miles on the car. I was at the dealer years later and a guy bought the identical switch for a Chevy truck.

capevettes 02-22-2016 08:34 AM

Hate to revive an old thread, but I did :D

My 68 brake lights work intermittently. Is there any means of adjusting the switch to get the brake lights working when I apply the brakes?

1Fordman 02-22-2016 11:41 PM

The switch is adjustable, the bolt mounting holes are slotted as in the photo above. When the switch in my 68 went south, adapted in a 69 up plunger style switch. 68 switch = big bucks. 69 up style switch costs around 10.00