CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general-119/)
-   -   The trek begins.... (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general/1807955-the-trek-begins.html)

r0t0rdr1ver 09-09-2007 12:30 AM

The trek begins....

So the time draws near to bring the two new additions to the family home to Calgary. We're flying down to Asheville, NC on Sept 12th to pick up the '69 vert, then we will be making our way to Cedar Rapids, IA to meet up with the '79 coupe. The intent was to buy 'drivers', so thats what we're gonna do....drive 'em! No cross country trip with vettes would be complete without stopping at the national vette museum on the way home either. Might as well make a holiday out of it, and see the sights. Can't wait! Hope all goes well...wish us luck...it's a long ways to go. Make sure to wave or say hello. See you out there! Pics from the road to follow.:cheers:

78Vette-SA 09-09-2007 12:46 AM

Congrats on the cars and a great trip.

Curious what you need to do paperwork wise taking them across the border. And would it be different if you were bringing them into the US?

:thumbs:

tfi racing 09-09-2007 01:20 AM

Sounds like a great trip,I just delivered my 74 to our new home on Vancouver Island.Make sure you bring an empty credit card,the cost of fuel alone will fill it up pretty quick!

r0t0rdr1ver 09-09-2007 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by 78Vette-SA (Post 1561840143)
Congrats on the cars and a great trip.

Curious what you need to do paperwork wise taking them across the border. And would it be different if you were bringing them into the US?

:thumbs:

There are a lot of good websites with info on this...fleabay has a good page as well. I'm not sure what is involved to bring a car across from Canada to the U.S. Being the car's are over 15 years old, there aren't any admissibility issues coming into Canada....if you're driving them, you need insurance, and the car needs to be registered (in transit passes)in every state you drive through, unless you get the car from a dealer, then they can usually supply you with a temporary dealer plate. Before you get to the border, you must fax a copy of the title, import worksheet, and a current contact number to the border crossing you plan to drive through 72 hours in advance, so they can start the export process. Then when you drive through, make sure you have originals of the title, bill of sale, and all registration documents and insurance papers. They will also view the vehicle(s) at this time. They will stamp your title, and then you will present this to Canadian customs along with your other papers. Here, they will give you a vehicle import form to fill out as well, and then they will take a lot of money from you (6% GST, PST, RIV fee $209, A/C fee $100 if equipped, etc, etc.). They don't accept cash or cheque, so have lots of room on the VISA! You will also be required to have the vehicle inspected within 45 days, and the proper forms completed, before you can permanently register the vehicle in Canada. There's a bit more to it, but that's the meat and potatoes anyhow.

r0t0rdr1ver 09-09-2007 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by tfi racing (Post 1561840439)
Sounds like a great trip,I just delivered my 74 to our new home on Vancouver Island.Make sure you bring an empty credit card,the cost of fuel alone will fill it up pretty quick!

Congrats on the '74....and yes....I've made LOTS of room for gas!:ack:

78Vette-SA 09-09-2007 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by r0t0rdr1ver (Post 1561840965)
There are a lot of good websites with info on this...fleabay has a good page as well. I'm not sure what is involved to bring a car across from Canada to the U.S. Being the car's are over 15 years old, there aren't any admissibility issues coming into Canada....if you're driving them, you need insurance, and the car needs to be registered (in transit passes)in every state you drive through, unless you get the car from a dealer, then they can usually supply you with a temporary dealer plate. Before you get to the border, you must fax a copy of the title, import worksheet, and a current contact number to the border crossing you plan to drive through 72 hours in advance, so they can start the export process. Then when you drive through, make sure you have originals of the title, bill of sale, and all registration documents and insurance papers. They will also view the vehicle(s) at this time. They will stamp your title, and then you will present this to Canadian customs along with your other papers. Here, they will give you a vehicle import form to fill out as well, and then they will take a lot of money from you (6% GST, PST, RIV fee $209, A/C fee $100 if equipped, etc, etc.). They don't accept cash or cheque, so have lots of room on the VISA! You will also be required to have the vehicle inspected within 45 days, and the proper forms completed, before you can permanently register the vehicle in Canada. There's a bit more to it, but that's the meat and potatoes anyhow.

Ouch - :willy:

Very informative. Thanks much. Seems like a lot of effort and expense but I am sure it will be worth it.

I assume there are no known issues with C3 Corvettes from a Canadian Inspection process? I'd hate to go through all that and have it fail the inspection. Curious as to what they are inspecting.

Thanks again...

Hezzy 09-09-2007 12:44 PM

Alot of provinces in Canada require an annual inspection on all vehicles. In Nova Scotia the laws changed earlier this year for inspections. They now include; Glass, mirrors, horn, brakes(that they now disassemble to inspect) wipers, steering, suspension, exhaust, fuel system, lights, electrical, tires/wheels, body, power train, guages, speedometer, and aux. equipment.
When I took my Vette to be inspected they told me that they didnt have to pass the car because the windshield pillar trim pieces were cracked!.
hope it isnt this bad for you.
have a great trip.
and Sweet cars man..

capevettes 09-10-2007 09:32 AM

Congrats on your two new Vettes. Sounds like alot of fun. Enjoy the Museum and the trip home. I like that 69 Big block :thumbs:

SuprJames 09-10-2007 09:57 AM

Make sure you hit up the Biltmore Estate, Tail of the Dragon, and Cherohala Skyway since all are so close to Asheville.

moosie982 09-10-2007 10:35 AM

Dream Trip

Hi, It sounds like thats gonna be a dream trip that I am sure most everyone would like to take, very nice looking Corvettes, the best of luck to you on the trip, drive safely, be careful,,,Peace,,,Moosie :seeya

ghoastrider1 09-10-2007 11:24 AM

You will most likely pass thru Indianapolis..they have a very nice muesuem at the Speedway track (exit 16 off 465). Lots of old indy 500 cars and stuff. Its located about 3 miles off the interstate and very easy to get to. ( make a good lunch break or night layover)

r0t0rdr1ver 09-10-2007 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by 78Vette-SA (Post 1561841778)
Ouch - :willy:

Very informative. Thanks much. Seems like a lot of effort and expense but I am sure it will be worth it.

I assume there are no known issues with C3 Corvettes from a Canadian Inspection process? I'd hate to go through all that and have it fail the inspection. Curious as to what they are inspecting.

Thanks again...

I'm fairly certain they are just interested in road-worthiness, etc....but I'm not 100% sure on that...hopefully it won't be a problem.:)

r0t0rdr1ver 09-10-2007 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by SuprJames (Post 1561853938)
Make sure you hit up the Biltmore Estate, Tail of the Dragon, and Cherohala Skyway since all are so close to Asheville.

That's a great idea!! Never even thought of that...I've always wanted to do those roads on the motorcycle, should be just as much fun with the vettes! Also thanks to all for the positive comments on the cars.:cheers:

r0t0rdr1ver 09-10-2007 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by ghoastrider1 (Post 1561854946)
You will most likely pass thru Indianapolis..they have a very nice muesuem at the Speedway track (exit 16 off 465). Lots of old indy 500 cars and stuff. Its located about 3 miles off the interstate and very easy to get to. ( make a good lunch break or night layover)

Sounds interesting! Might be a good place to take a lunch break. I like the avatar ghoast...I have quite a bit of time in the huey's..all civillian jobs though...I have a lot of respect for the crews that flew overseas back then...:flag:

fugawi 09-10-2007 08:18 PM

wow, that sounds like a fun trip..would love to do that. congrats,and have a blast...:thumbs:

draculet 09-11-2007 12:25 AM

Biltmore

Originally Posted by fugawi (Post 1561861694)
wow, that sounds like a fun trip..would love to do that. congrats,and have a blast...:thumbs:

If you head to Ashville and need some pointers, let me know. We're there every year.....

rexx78 09-11-2007 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by r0t0rdr1ver (Post 1561856094)
I'm fairly certain they are just interested in road-worthiness, etc....but I'm not 100% sure on that...hopefully it won't be a problem.:)

My 78 went through an Alberta Out Of Province inspection. It failed bad!!!! FYI, everything has to work including power door locks, turn signals, heater fan, etc. Talk to Western Corvette in Calgary; they can probably point you in the right direction.

Enjoy your new toys.

SuprJames 09-11-2007 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by r0t0rdr1ver (Post 1561856143)
That's a great idea!! Never even thought of that...I've always wanted to do those roads on the motorcycle, should be just as much fun with the vettes! Also thanks to all for the positive comments on the cars.:cheers:

The Biltmore and some of the pull-offs would make great places for pics of your cars..........hint hint!!

82MDVette 09-11-2007 06:48 AM

What better way to plan a vacation and a road trip then to come home with two classic American muscle cars! Good luck, be safe, and take your time enjoying the scenery! :flag:

r0t0rdr1ver 09-12-2007 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by 82MDVette (Post 1561866379)
What better way to plan a vacation and a road trip then to come home with two classic American muscle cars! Good luck, be safe, and take your time enjoying the scenery! :flag:

Thanks 82MD....have a couple weeks off to do the trip....we plan to take full advantage. Love your 82 by the way....it's the reason I bought a late model C3 to play with!

Originally Posted by draculet (Post 1561865210)
If you head to Ashville and need some pointers, let me know. We're there every year.....

That would be great draculet...we'll be there soon...I think we're going to do the Tail of the Dragon on the way to Iowa...any pointers would be appreciated.

Originally Posted by SuprJames (Post 1561865348)
The Biltmore and some of the pull-offs would make great places for pics of your cars..........hint hint!!

No worries Supr...my other hobby is photography...I won't let you down!