CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06-136/)
-   -   [Z06] Changing Brake Pads HELP! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06/1818625-changing-brake-pads-help.html)

Zee0hh6ix 09-21-2007 09:57 AM

Changing Brake Pads HELP!

I've done a search to see if anyone has posted steps/pictures of changing brakes pads on C6 Z06, but I Can't find any. Some one please point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance!

I also welcome any comments about the pads I bought Hawks HP Plus.

Katech_Zach 09-21-2007 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Zee0hh6ix (Post 1562000683)
I've done a search to see if anyone has posted steps/pictures of changing brakes pads on C6 Z06, but I Can't find any. Some one please point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance!

I also welcome any comments about the pads I bought Hawks HP Plus.

1. Remove wheels
2. Turn the wheel so the caliper is more accessable
3. With the caliper on, use a flat blade screwdriver between the rotor and the pad to push the caliper piston back into the caliper. Do this for all 6 pads. Go back and do the first ones you did again because they will move out a little while the others are being pushed in.
4. Remove the 2 caliper mounting bolts (21mm if I recall)
5. Do not let the caliper hang by the hose
6. Pop out all 6 pads
7. Insert new pads. The 3 sided edge goes in first against the retainer clips, then push down until the notches align with the caliper guide pins
8. Install caliper. Torque to 100 lb-ft
9. Install wheels
10. PUMP BRAKE PEDAL until you have a firm pedal
11. Bed in the brakes. 40-10mph, 40-10mph, 60-10mph, 100-10mph, 100-10mph. Drive for 10 minutes without touching the brakes. This is the ideal way, obviously if you are on the street you will need to change this at your disgretion to remain safe.

GrillnZ 09-21-2007 10:26 AM

....and while you are at it bleed your brakes. My fluid was dark brown at 10,000 miles. The whole process should only take 2 hours with a friend helping.

AZ FASTEST 09-21-2007 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Katech (Post 1562000883)
1. Remove wheels
3. With the caliper on, use a flat blade screwdriver between the rotor and the pad to push the caliper piston back into the caliper. Do this for all 6 pads. Go back and do the first ones you did again because they will move out a little while the others are being pushed in.
6. Pop out all 6 pads
7. Insert new pads. The 3 sided edge goes in first against the retainer clips, then push down until the notches align with the caliper guide pins
9. Install wheels
11. Bed in the brakes. 40-10mph, 40-10mph, 60-10mph, 100-10mph, 100-10mph. Drive for 10 minutes without touching the brakes. This is the ideal way, obviously if you are on the street you will need to change this at your disgretion to remain safe.

Page 5-104 of volume 1 of the 2006 GM Corvette Service Manual shows the caliper torque as 125 lbs not 100 lbs.

Zee0hh6ix 09-21-2007 10:41 AM

Thanks guys!!! This forum is great.

I gotta also thank Al Gore for inventing the internet.

allanlaw 09-21-2007 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by AZ FASTEST (Post 1562001218)
Page 5-104 of volume 1 of the 2006 GM Corvette Service Manual shows the caliper torque as 125 lbs not 100 lbs.

:iagree: That's been the spec on the caliper mounting bolts since C5's, maybe earlier. On the other hand, it would be nice if 100 lbs worked since my cheap portable impact wrench could handle that. BTW do you loctite the bolt?

BTW2 you can also use the method in the service manual to change the pads by removing the guide pins rather than the caliper. I've been doing a combo method - taking off the calipers in the front (since that's relatively easy and I switch the rotors with the pads anyway) and removing only the center guide pin on each side of each rear caliper.

jswatek 09-21-2007 10:54 AM

I've been using the HP+ pads on the street and limited track. I like them even though they are a little noisy. I think they are a good compromise.

AZ FASTEST 09-21-2007 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by allanlaw (Post 1562001388)
:iagree: That's been the spec on the caliper mounting bolts since C5's, maybe earlier. On the other hand, it would be nice if 100 lbs worked since my cheap portable impact wrench could handle that. BTW do you loctite the bolt?

BTW2 you can also use the method in the service manual to change the pads by removing the guide pins rather than the caliper. I've been doing a combo method - taking off the calipers in the front (since that's relatively easy and I switch the rotors with the pads anyway) and removing only the center guide pin on each side of each rear caliper.

I do not use Loctite on the caliper bolts since it seems I'm either changing the tires or the pads with some frequency and I always check the torque while I'm in there.

I'm doing brakes today for this weekend's HPDE at PIR so I'll try your rear method of removing only the center pad pin bolt. Thanks!

Katech_Zach 09-21-2007 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by AZ FASTEST (Post 1562001218)

Just verified GM service manual - 129 lb-ft

Originally Posted by allanlaw (Post 1562001388)

GM service manual does not say to use loctite. I wouldn't, considering they are being removed a lot.

JDIllon 09-21-2007 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Katech (Post 1562003441)

GM service manual does not say to use loctite. I wouldn't, considering they are being removed a lot.

I use a little touch of Blue 242 just to be safe. I wouldn't use red. Just my .02 However if you are removeing them a lot it's probably not needed. JD:thumbs: :cheers:

allanlaw 09-21-2007 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Katech (Post 1562003441)

Which service manual, Jason? The 2006 one sure says 125 (doesn't matter too much since 4 lbs is well within the error range for my Craftsman torque wrench).

My memory is not clear (on this or on most points), but I kinda think maybe they come from the factory with a skosh of blue loctite on them ? ? Anyone?

GaryZ06 09-21-2007 04:45 PM

3. With the caliper on, use a flat blade screwdriver between the rotor and the pad to push the caliper piston back into the caliper. Do this for all 6 pads.

Jason this will not hurt the rotor?

Short-Throw 09-21-2007 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by GaryZ06 (Post 1562006137)

No,

You are using the tip of the screwdriver blade against the backing plate of the used pad. Remember, you do not need to be King Kong and pry like an animal. Slight pressure is all that's needs to compress the pistons.

Mike :cheers:

Katech_Zach 09-21-2007 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by allanlaw (Post 1562003850)
Which service manual, Jason? The 2006 one sure says 125 (doesn't matter too much since 4 lbs is well within the error range for my Craftsman torque wrench).

My memory is not clear (on this or on most points), but I kinda think maybe they come from the factory with a skosh of blue loctite on them ? ? Anyone?

GM dealerworld.

Yes, they have that thick red loctite-like product on them from the factory.

Originally Posted by GaryZ06 (Post 1562006137)

It takes hardly any force to push them in. It won't hurt the rotor.

GaryZ06 09-21-2007 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Short-Throw (Post 1562006801)
No,

You are using the tip of the screwdriver blade against the backing plate of the used pad. Remember, you do not need to be King Kong and pry like an animal. Slight pressure is all that's needs to compress the pistons.

Mike :cheers:

I see....between the backing plate and the piston....Thanks Short-Throw and Jason

Katech_Zach 09-21-2007 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by GaryZ06 (Post 1562006888)
I see....between the backing plate and the piston....Thanks Short-Throw and Jason

Thats not really what Short-Throw meant. Don't put a screwdriver between the piston and the pad. Do it between the pad and the rotor. Short-Throw meant to push on the tab that is on the backing plate of the pad, but its small and difficult to keep the screwdriver on there, so I put it between the pad and the rotor.

Short-Throw 09-21-2007 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Katech (Post 1562006992)
Thats not really what Short-Throw meant. Don't put a screwdriver between the piston and the pad. Do it between the pad and the rotor. Short-Throw meant to push on the tab that is on the backing plate of the pad, but its small and difficult to keep the screwdriver on there, so I put it between the pad and the rotor.

:iagree: Using the tab takes a steady hand and if it slips off you could damage the piston boot. Use the old pad for leverage.

Mike

GaryZ06 09-21-2007 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Katech (Post 1562006992)

Got it....Thanks guys

Katech_Zach 09-21-2007 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by BARTOSZ (Post 1562007583)
Could you please explain to me what does it mean?

"11. Bed in the brakes. 40-10mph, 40-10mph, 60-10mph, 100-10mph, 100-10mph."

Thank you in advance.

A series of aggressive stops to break in the new pads, followed by a long cool-down period.

Zee0hh6ix 09-24-2007 04:19 PM

Follow up

1. Remove wheels
6. Pop out all 6 pads
9. Install wheels

Just as an update. I did it (with buddies help). I had never changed bake pads or bled brakes before and I was extremely surprised on how easy it was. Not many tools are required, but be prepared to get brake dust everywhere! I also took Rangers advice on changing the clutch fluid, again easy. Both clutch and brake fluids were brown. Check your fluids!!!!

I drove the car for less than a mile and the braking difference was very noticeable.

I will bed the brakes before I drive it again, but how hard should I brake when doing this procedure?

Thanks again for the step by step instructions!!!!:cheers: