CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   Should I use teflon tape on fuel fittings ?? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/1837250-should-i-use-teflon-tape-on-fuel-fittings.html)

investigator759 10-13-2007 06:27 PM

Should I use teflon tape on fuel fittings ??

I am installing a new fuel filter in my Vette, should I use teflon tape on the fuel fittings ??

MikeM 10-13-2007 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by investigator759 (Post 1562290796)
I am installing a new fuel filter in my Vette, should I use teflon tape on the fuel fittings ??

Not only should you not do it. Don't do it. If you're not careful, it can get in the fuel line and cause problems with your carb needle/seat and jets.

Trophy Blue 10-13-2007 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by MikeM (Post 1562290851)
Not only should you not do it. Don't do it. If you're not careful, it can get in the fuel line and cause problems with your carb needle/seat and jets.

:iagree:

I was always told not to use teflon tape because, of that reason.

Jalopy31 10-13-2007 07:57 PM

Thread sealer

I agree with the others that do not recomment teflon tape. If you feel the need to seal the threads, you may want to try a liquid thread sealer (not a thread locker) made for this type of application.

I used it on the fittings when I set up the 3x2 system on my hot rod, and it worked fine. Follow the instructions closely by not putting the sealer on the first few threads to prevent it from getting into the system. This product does not harden fully, thus providing a good seal.

I bought mine at NAPA - I believe it was a Permatex product.

Plasticman 10-13-2007 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by investigator759 (Post 1562290796)

Just to clarify, teflon tape does not belong on automotive application threads - period (as noted above).

If the threads are pipe threads (interferance type tapered threads), then used a teflon pipe thread sealant (which is a thick paste).

If the threads are typical fuel system flare fittings, do not use any sealant on the threads. The threads do not do the sealing - only the flared tubing does any sealing (to the opposing flare on the mating fitting), and should not need any sealant. It is acceptable to put a very, very small amount of anti-seize compound on the threads (for ease of assembly and disassembly later on).

Save the teflon tape for your house water pipes.

Plasticman

wmf62 10-14-2007 12:16 AM

contrary to everyone else's advice, i use it...(and have never had a problem; but i agree that if it isn't properly applied, it can get in places it shouldn't... :ack: )
Bill

66BlkBB 10-14-2007 06:35 AM

"Just to clarify, teflon tape does not belong on automotive application threads - period (as noted above). "

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Contrare!!!! One application. Petcock on the radiator. It works great!!!!!!!

Steve:cheers:

Shurshot 10-14-2007 09:58 AM

NPT fuel line fittings require a thread assembly sealant.

AN flare fuel line fittings do not require anything but an anti-seize lube properly applied is nice to have.

Doug

Plasticman 10-14-2007 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Shurshot (Post 1562296898)
NPT fuel line fittings require a thread assembly sealant.

AN flare fuel line fittings do not require anything but an anti-seize lube properly applied is nice to have.

Doug

:iagree: The biggest issue with using teflon tape is in removal and reassembly. Once the fitting has been assembled, portions of that tape will become shreaded. Upon removal of that fitting more will become shreaded, and it is the removal of these shreads of teflon tape that are the root of the problem. Most guys do not take the time to clean out all of the teflon shreads properly (especially in the female portion of the threads). Then the fitting gets reinstalled, and these loose teflon shreads can become pushed into the tube/fitting where they will become a potential blockage (even in a cooling system).

Why use teflon tape, where it can cause a potential issue down the road, when there are better products that both seal and lubricate better?

Plasticman