CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   Everything you ever wanted to know about motor oils.. (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/185040-everything-you-ever-wanted-to-know-about-motor-oils.html)

Alex D 11-17-2001 03:10 AM

Everything you ever wanted to know about motor oils..

I have so often seen the many topics and questions about motoroils on this and other forums......what oil to use...synthetic or dino......when to change...what viscosity....and so on...
For the interested....I downloaded the e-book version of the "Oil Bible" at http://www.motor-oil-bible.com and found this the best comprehensive oil info I have seen since I have looked for this info on the internet.......
:yesnod:

Rick93Z07 11-17-2001 09:08 AM

Re: Everything you ever wanted to know about motor oils.. (Alex D)

After reading the first couple paragraphs of the e-baloney (link), I strongly suspected this to be Amsoil propaganda. After scrolling down for about a mile, I confirmed this as fact. This is a pyramid sales scheme and the technical information is totally distorted BS. Alex is a leading prophet in their cult.

[Modified by Rick93Z07, 8:12 AM 11/17/2001]

Alex D 11-17-2001 11:38 AM

Re: Everything you ever wanted to know about motor oils.. (Rick93Z07)

Well Rick.........you just disqualified yourself with your own comments........absolutely zero facts and all flaming...........I am sure evryone will judge for themselves........besides I don't use Amsoil, but think it's a decent product :lol:

Alex D 11-17-2001 09:16 PM

ttt :rolleyes:

Don Martin 11-17-2001 11:13 PM

I second what 93ZO-7 say's.

Just another Amsoil infomercial.

Beware of extended oil drain intervals. They turn small problems into big ones.

Oil is really not a problem. Check your hoses and cooling system. That's something to work on.

Turismo 11-17-2001 11:18 PM

I looked at the trial version e-book. Although the author lacks a technical education regarding lubricants, he presents factual information (at least the 1st chapter). However, the author fails to place enough emphasis on combustion blow-by and consequential oil contamination. On high mileage engines, blowby is the contributing factor to accelerated engine wear. Once oil is contminated by unburned fuel, the contaminants cannot be removed through standard filtration. The oil must be removed from the system and replaced with new oil. Hence, an oil change every 3-5,000 miles.

As obvious from a previous post, the author would gain far more respect and confidence from potential consumers if he would just publish his book normally, e.g. one could purchase it at a bookstore. I would buy the book if it were in the bookstore just out of curiosity. I won't fork over any dough online--I am strongly against network marketing.

LT5 11-17-2001 11:25 PM

Re: Everything you ever wanted to know about motor oils.. (Rick93Z07)

I'm with Rick :bs

Rick93Z07 11-18-2001 12:33 AM

Re: Everything you ever wanted to know about motor oils.. (LT5FIRE)

Alex, the only facts I posted was....this "Bible" is really a distorted Amsoil-related e-mercial and their marketing gimmickry is a pyramidal scheme of fanatical, backyard salesmen. That assessment is totally accurate and factual. If you read some of Amsoil's own "unique" literature, you will see this bible is a layman's regurgitation with added distortion of fact. The book's title should be "1000 reasons why Amsoil should be your one and only lube". My negativity expressed about the book is not flame. In addition, my assessment of your unsolicited "advertizing post" and enthusiastic promotion of the book were intended to provide "balance", not flame. I never claimed you used Amsoil, although you are clearly biased in that direction because you strongly agree and promote the propaganda. It is a worthless reference manual for anyone interested in acquiring unbiased, accurate, scientifically sound or useful information. Although they have some decent products, Amsoil is basically a slippery cult perched upon a pyramid.

[Modified by Rick93Z07, 11:54 PM 11/17/2001]

mountainmotor 11-18-2001 08:13 AM

Turismo's 1st paragraph pretty much says it all.I would like to add that it my opinion the only advantage to running synthetic motor oil is it flows better when cold and using it in a motor with a carb and choke that gives a excessive rich mixture when cold dillutes or contaminates the oil making it a waste of money as far as extended drain intervals.Todays major brand mineral based oils used in a FI motor can run at long intervals also depending on the use of vehicle.When a valve guide or a valve stem is not pressure fed buy oil I see no need in protection of a bottom end past 200k.I certainly would not do a valve job on a 200k motor and throw it back together.

Rick93Z07 11-18-2001 10:16 AM

Re: Everything you ever wanted to know about motor oils.. (mountainmotor)

Ring blowby and acids due to stuck carb floats and bad choke pulloff's can result in a contamination problem as noted. Extended service intervals are not practical on poorly tuned, older vehicles or turbo's and some other applications. That said, I change my synthetic in my 5.0L commuter car every 25K miles and my motor is fresh at 230K+ miles. Same can be said for several friends approaching 300K with the same service cycle. Upon inspection for blown head gasket, my hone marks are clearly visible to the top and no ridge. Also worth noting...my car sees redline RPM every week and runs like new with good oil control and low usage. Top conventional oil does not provide shear protection beyond about 15K miles and begins degrading immediately...in the 1,500 mile range. It is not suitable for extended interval use, unless you are selling the car in it's infancy (to a non-friend).

As a test engineer, I conducted lube testing at the largest lube research & dev facility east of the mississippi. It showed that abused, carbon-laden synthetic with over 50K "police duty" miles on it (and looked like black paint) provided better protection than top conventional oils poured fresh out of the bottle. That's with unprocessed, used oil running a $3 standard Purolator, mind you. Side-by-side chassis simulator and dyno tests costing millions were conducted using 5.0L V8's. These "abused" full synthetics provide far less friction and resulting parts wear...witnessed after professional teardown and inspection. This reinforced the suspicion that dino cold start friction is a major wear factor (80%) and proved aggressive 3K dino drain intervals and and amber colored oil on the dipstick are not the answer. Synthetic's greatest benefits are realized at cold start (oil below 150 degrees F) every morning of every day, but it does not end there.

I've see no need to perform an overhaul or even valve guide service on synthetic at 200K or even 300K. If I see one wear out, I'll let you know....

[Modified by Rick93Z07, 9:29 AM 11/18/2001]

mountainmotor 11-18-2001 11:42 AM

Quote from Rick:
(I've see no need to perform an overhaul or even valve guide service on synthetic at 200K or even 300K. If I see one wear out, I'll let you know....)

Thanks!Meanwhile I will pass along the information that by using Synthetic motor oils the elongation of the big end of a connecting rod,rod stretch,repeated heat cycling of certain internal components and 700+ lbs of nose pressure on a camshaft,incompatability of certain metals in all engines,and engines that have a cast valve guide ect,ect,is no longer an issue!Imagine the ability to now use high tension gas ported piston and ring combinations on the street with out fear of excessive cylinder wall wear in all engines regardless of the nickel content of the block!Timing chains will no longer stretch!John Force will no longer have to inspect motors between rounds!

Please ,No disrespect intended by this post.There are Synthentic oils available(Klotz for example) and mineral based oils(Kendall) that will reduce HP because of ring seal.The majority of production engines use a low pressure piston ring.I suspect you would not have seen that crosshatch in a high pressure ring combo with the miles you have said..Synthetic certainly has it's place in the motor world but it is not cureall prescription.

Don Martin 11-18-2001 12:31 PM

Re: Everything you ever wanted to know about motor oils.. (mountainmotor)

Here is my standard answer for Amsoil and other brands. "If a "wal-mart" sells it, if its correct for your manual and is API approved then use it.

Synthetics are not a panacea for good engine life and performance. Any engine that has survived 25K changes with out used oil monitoring and filter changes is just plain luck. Some filters will not last that long.

And 300K is not that many miles in reality. There is at least one custom blender selling severly hydro treated mineral oil base stock engine oil to fleets that have gone 1,500,000 miles before work was needed.

Error on the side of too many oil changes and here is why. If you get a dribbling injector (fuel dilution) the additive package will not work right and you will wear your engine out really fast.

Cummins also has a formula. The worst the fuel economy the more frequent the changes.

Alex D 11-24-2001 09:56 PM

Re: Everything you ever wanted to know about motor oils.. (Don Martin)

Really interesting discussions....
Anyway...the reason I liked the motor oil bible is that, aside from testing different brands and talkin about different oil change intervals......it contains a lot of basic info about motor oils such as a bout base stocks and additives. It has a wealth of info that maybe helpful to someone. I don't see it promoting Amsoil over others.........
........also...just coming to mind..........in the last long term test of a BMW 330i by Car&Driver, the "change engine oil" warning did not come on until 18,000 mls. ...... now I can't see BMW wanting to incur any additional warranty repairs by under-recommending something as simple and cheap as oil change intervals..........there must be something correct about extended oil change intervals........Ohh also, I do religiously change my oil in the cars at 3,000 mls. and use only Mobil 1. The Harley sees oil changes every 1,000 to 1,500 miles and I only use Harley motor oil here........

Don Martin 11-25-2001 12:54 PM

There are plenty of free "manuals" available. I will post a list when I feel like it.

You can also call the tech dept of many of the oil blenders. Most have 800#'s and will talk to you.

Somehow I still think this is a infomercial.