CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Tech (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech-1/)
-   -   glass roof panel scratches (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/1851227-glass-roof-panel-scratches.html)

reebeno 10-30-2007 12:25 PM

glass roof panel scratches

does anyone have any suggestion on how to remove scratches from a glass roof panel. I picked up a transparant targa top from a 2002 c5 but it has light scratches all over it, they actually look like swirl marks like someone used a buffer on it and scratched it.they are not really noticable from the outside, but from the inside it looks like spider webs. I waxed it and and I thought it got rid off them but ass soon as it rained they came back. Any thought or suggestion would be greatly appreciated. thank you.

bucwheat 10-30-2007 01:28 PM

I have buffed a few light scratches out with a rag wheel and some jewelers rough,but for anything you can catch with a finger nail I would take to a glass shop,Did you get a good deal on the top? I have been looking for a fiberglass lid at a good price any color.

Lithium 10-30-2007 01:38 PM

I hate to say this and I might be wrong, but if you can feel the scratches with your fingernails then they are too deep to repair. I had a lot of scratches on my windshield and ended up having to it replaced because the glass guy couldnt get the scratches out.

I'd say take it to a windshield repair place and have them take a look and see if it's repairable or not. The check should be free. Mine was.

reebeno 10-30-2007 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by bucwheat (Post 1562525516)
I have buffed a few light scratches out with a rag wheel and some jewelers rough,but for anything you can catch with a finger nail I would take to a glass shop,Did you get a good deal on the top? I have been looking for a fiberglass lid at a good price any color.

thanks for the suggestion. $200.00 from a local guy that sold his car.

reebeno 10-30-2007 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Lithium (Post 1562525660)
I hate to say this and I might be wrong, but if you can feel the scratches with your fingernails then they are too deep to repair. I had a lot of scratches on my windshield and ended up having to it replaced because the glass guy couldnt get the scratches out.

I'd say take it to a windshield repair place and have them take a look and see if it's repairable or not. The check should be free. Mine was.

thanks, you cant feel the scratches and I have actually made them less noticable with plastic polish. I will try a glass shop

Oldvetter 10-30-2007 07:30 PM

The "glass" top is actually Lexan, a high strength plastic.

Outside has tinted coating on it.

Some have fixed outside by sanding and clear coating. You should use an adhesion coating first.

Generally it is accepted that once it starts going you need a new or re-skined roof.

jordanfd 10-30-2007 11:19 PM

Once the top is scratched it's history. Check out this site for black chrome paint called hyper black. It gives top a black glass look.
www.innate.com Frank:flag: :flag: :flag:

schmaltzr 10-30-2007 11:54 PM

I may be wrong, but I thought I saw somplace wher they rebuild them. You might search on the web for that. - Ron

bucwheat 10-31-2007 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by schmaltzr (Post 1562546045)
I may be wrong, but I thought I saw somplace wher they rebuild them. You might search on the web for that. - Ron

astrotops.com they have adds in all vette mags.average prices.:D