CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   Change of gas (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/1851771-change-of-gas.html)

rolando4812 10-30-2007 10:46 PM

Change of gas

I pump cheveron with techron premium in my 85. this weekend i needed to fill up and couldn't find a cheveron near so i stopped at a texaco and pumped supreme also. i noticed that the exhaust sounded louder. i couldn't feel a difference in the performance. is texaco better than cheveron?

motorholmes 10-30-2007 11:43 PM

There was a cool thread about brands of gasoline recently- you may want to do a search and try to find it. I only use non-ethanol 91 and can only find it at conoco here so I can't help you.

John A. Marker 10-31-2007 12:56 AM

Have you made mods to the engine to require running premium? When I bought my 85 I also ran premium and then descovered that regular was recommended and the car ran great on regular. Still does....:thumbs:

rolando4812 10-31-2007 08:04 AM

no mods. i heard that premium last longer than regular

rick lambert 10-31-2007 08:16 AM

No mods? I wouldn't waist my $$$ on premium. I've been running 87 in my 87 for 8 years without any problems. There's been many a post about octane ratings, pros and cons.I believe most have come to the conclusion, burn the lowest octane you can without causing predetonation (pinging).

RollaMo-LT4 10-31-2007 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by rolando4812 (Post 1562545114)
I pump cheveron with techron premium in my 85. this weekend i needed to fill up and couldn't find a cheveron near so i stopped at a texaco and pumped supreme also. i noticed that the exhaust sounded louder. i couldn't feel a difference in the performance. is texaco better than cheveron?

There is no way changing from Cheveron Premium to Texaco Premium would have caused "louder" exhaust.

As others have said though, the ONLY reason to use premium in the first place is to reduce the chances of "pinging". If your car was designed to run on regular, burning premium in it will only lighten your wallet faster.

However, I do believe you should stick with a name brand gas and not some cheap local only station. Not so much for the gas, but the actual quality of their delivery system. If the place is nice and clean and it looks like they "Care" about the customer, then they are more likely to sell a quality product.

When it comes to gasoline, quality matters more than octane for 99% of the cars out there. :thumbs:

Aardwolf 10-31-2007 10:21 AM

Maybe if the gas had a lot of water in it, the exhaust note could change.

RollaMo-LT4 10-31-2007 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Aardwolf (Post 1562549320)
Maybe if the gas had a lot of water in it, the exhaust note could change.

He said he couldn't feel a difference in performance though.
Very slim chance of the gas having water in it, because if it did the car would run like crap or not at all. :cheers:

CFI-EFI 10-31-2007 11:18 AM

S.O.T.P for ears. Most all gasolines in a given area come from the same tank out of the same refinery. The difference in one gasoline vs another is the additive package mixed in for each "brand" as they fill the truck.

As it has been said, octane is ONLY a measure of a gasoline's ability to resist knocking. If your engine doesn't knock or produce knock counts, you have enough, and maybe more than enough, octane. For the purposes of these discussions, it can be said that higher octane gasoline burns slower and produces less power than the higher octane equivalents. Higher octane than necessary does nothing, but waste money. There are no side or hidden benefits in the "nothing but the best for my baby" theory, here.

RACE ON!!!

rolando4812 10-31-2007 06:54 PM

well i hate to say it but yea. it was a crappy little convenient store. but i had to fill up quick. i only pumped 10 dollars into it.