CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Minor rock chips on hood and grill (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/1853277-minor-rock-chips-on-hood-and-grill.html)

adamsmsu 11-01-2007 08:29 PM

Minor rock chips on hood and grill

Long story short, done a lot of highway driving lately, most of it is behind me. Well I have the usual small scratches on the hood and mesh area. I assume the best way to handle these would just be take it to a body shop and have them take care of it? Can anyone recommend one near the Minneapolis area?

Its a 2008 coupe, crystal red by the way

mpuzach 11-01-2007 08:53 PM

This is why I always recommend having the ClearBra installed.

joec 11-01-2007 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by mpuzach (Post 1562571613)
This is why I always recommend having the ClearBra installed.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

blkvette1 11-01-2007 09:09 PM

Yep, 25,000 miles here - many high miles at 80mph average.

With clear Bra - not a mark on this thing except a few spots where the clear bra was hit - but you really have to look for them.

Clear Bra - the ONLY way to go.

Darth_Vader 11-01-2007 09:25 PM

If it is a daily driver, I will say they will happen. There is no way around it. Try not to let them drive you nuts, because I used to go nuts about them.... Its not worth it..... Most likely you are the only one that can see them. :thumbs:

ohmy 11-01-2007 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Darth_Vader (Post 1562572047)
If it is a daily driver, I will say they will happen. There is no way around it. Try not to let them drive you nuts, because I used to go nuts about them.... Its not worth it..... Most likely you are the only one that can see them. :thumbs:

:iagree:

think of it as character, not an injury...

Fcal 11-01-2007 10:23 PM

Get the clear bra, and you'll notice chips somewhere else. They're unavoidable. I use the stretch bra from Souther Car Parts and I get chips on my mirrors and hood. (Go Figure) I know....Get the mirror covers too. Yeah and pretty soon the whole car is wrapped up.
"Chip Happens" If you're that worried about it just get the whole car wrapped in a clear bra.:willy:

After a while you get really good with touch-up paint.

PCMusicGuy 11-01-2007 10:25 PM

Mine's a daily driver. Had it since Mid June (5K miles on it now) and it has plenty of rock chips. But look on the bright side. Once they get too bad or unsightly, it would be the perfect time for a wide body conversion. :rofl:

TBIRD57 11-01-2007 10:53 PM

getting ill

hate thinking about my "inevitable"first one...was very lucky with '04...
hope it holds for 07
NOT a DD

TulsaVette 11-02-2007 04:29 PM

Once you get the first one, the rest are gravy.

I lease my cars, so in another 24 months, I will have a fresh bumper.

04BlackCoupe 11-02-2007 04:34 PM

5766 miles on the 08 coupe, MOST of them highway. No chips yet. I got the silver stretch nylon bra and mirror covers from Southern Car Parts (machine silver car) and it really helps. I was getting some junk (not chips yet) on the rear of the wheel wells. I just put on pipedreams splash guards to help protect those areas. It is inevitable that there will be some damage but especially when on the highway I try to protect it as much as possible.

Guitarstar 11-02-2007 05:05 PM

Touchup-123

Add a dot com. :leaving:

Harry2 11-02-2007 05:10 PM

I am more worried about the chips in the windshield, and the next rock that may crack it!

streetpix 11-02-2007 05:13 PM

Jeez, a ton of responses. And none of them address the OP's question...

Guitarstar 11-02-2007 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by harry2 (Post 1562582031)
I am more worried about the chips in the windshield, and the next rock that may crack it!

I just had Safelite auto glass come to my home to fix a chip on my Expedition, They did a great job.

shopdog 11-02-2007 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by harry2 (Post 1562582031)

I second Safelite. They've repaired some windshields, and replaced some others, for me. No hassles.

Getting rock pecks is part of driving. At least the car won't rust. If the little white speckles bother you, you should have bought a white Corvette. :rofl:

djfullshred 11-02-2007 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Fcal (Post 1562572867)
Get the clear bra, and you'll notice chips somewhere else. They're unavoidable.

That is true unless you never drive. :yesnod:

I have some chips in various places, and none on the front nose. Some of them are ones where I scratch my head thinking, "How could a rock hit there?" My first one was on the side rocker just inder the door seem, when the car was four days old. :D

HawaiiC6 11-02-2007 05:46 PM

Sorry can't help you in where to take your Vette for painting. I guess no matter how careful you are chips are going to happen. My car is a weekend warrior and I still get chips :( just a little touch-up paint and car looks great. As another member said you are probably the only one that can see the damage.

joec 11-02-2007 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by streetpix (Post 1562582054)
Jeez, a ton of responses. And none of them address the OP's question...

ya, and your answer is?????

STEVE MC 11-02-2007 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Fcal (Post 1562572867)
Get the clear bra, and you'll notice chips somewhere else. They're unavoidable. I use the stretch bra from Souther Car Parts and I get chips on my mirrors and hood. (Go Figure) I know....Get the mirror covers too. Yeah and pretty soon the whole car is wrapped up.
"Chip Happens" If you're that worried about it just get the whole car wrapped in a clear bra.:willy:

After a while you get really good with touch-up paint.

:iagree: I couldn't have said it better.

I remember my mother would buy an expensive couch and cover it so the fabric wouldn't get soiled or worn out. :crazy:

I do use the stretch bra from Southern Car Parts when I go on long trips but not for driving local. "S#*T Happens"