CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   05- C6 - Ways to unlock and start without key fob ?? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/1878968-05-c6-ways-to-unlock-and-start-without-key-fob.html)

C6-13thOilotCar 12-03-2007 11:29 AM

05- C6 - Ways to unlock and start without key fob ??

Are there any ways to unlock car doors and get car stated without the key fob? Could use use key at trunk area? Can OnStar unlock car and get car started if you lost key fob?

runutzzzzz 12-03-2007 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Newheart21 (Post 1563007433)
Are there any ways to unlock car doors and get car stated without the key fob? Could use use key at trunk area? Can OnStar unlock car and get car started if you lost key fob?

I don't think it's different than any other C6.

Yes you can get Onstar to unlock it if you lost your remote.
You also acn get into the trunk with the key.

gilly6993 12-03-2007 11:46 AM

I may be wrong but I don't believe you can start the car without the fob.....

shopdog 12-03-2007 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Newheart21 (Post 1563007433)

You can use the manual key to open the hatch if the fob fails or is missing. You cannot start the car without a valid fob. OnStar can open the door, but it can't start the car either. Lose the fob, you walk.

The car uses a challenge response system that can't be hotwired around. The computer simply won't pulse the fuel injectors or fire the spark if the challenge isn't successfully answered by a fob that's been registered to the car. So, if you lose the fob, you walk until you get a replacement programmed (a training sequence you or your dealer can do if you have the manual key, lose the key too and the dealer will have to first cut you a new one of those before training in a new fob).

Of course GM gives you 2 fobs with the car, so you'd have to lose them both before you'd be totally screwed. But the best thing to do is never take the fob out of your pocket. That way you won't lose it, have it stolen, or lock it inside the car. Simple really, fob goes in pocket, fob stays in pocket, fob never lost or locked in car.

dollarbill 12-03-2007 11:49 AM

As mentioned, The key can unlock the hatch and pulling the cable can unlatch the door. Also, OnStar can also unlock the door as long as the car has power. The fob can be used to start the car and if the fob battery is dead, it can be inserted in the glovebox slot to start the car. I am not aware of any other way to start the car. :cheers:

ben dover 12-03-2007 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by shopdog (Post 1563007666)
so you'd have to lose them both before you'd be totally screwed.

The reason I bought a third FOB, programmed it and hid it on the car along with a third trunk key.

C6-13thOilotCar 12-03-2007 05:11 PM

How Do You Keep The Car From Reconizing The Third Fob If It Is Hidden On The Car? Won't The Car Start For Anyone If The Fob Is In A Certain Range Of The Car?

Vette_DD 12-03-2007 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Newheart21 (Post 1563012150)
How Do You Keep The Car From Reconizing The Third Fob If It Is Hidden On The Car? Won't The Car Start For Anyone If The Fob Is In A Certain Range Of The Car?

Most people wrap it in tinfoil.

johnodrake 12-03-2007 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Newheart21 (Post 1563012150)

Put it in the cubby in the back is one way. The antennae for recognizing the fob for starting are in the front, around the driver station, as I recall. You can also remove the battery. You can still start the car with a battery-less fob by inserting it into the slot in the glove box.

VET4LES 12-03-2007 07:33 PM

I removed the battery on the second fob and have it hidden in the car.:thumbs:

ocjim 12-03-2007 08:00 PM

When my wife & I go on a trip, one goes in my pocket one in her purse plus 2 extras @ home, cheep insurance. Not sure I like having one in the car.

Here is where to get extra fob's.

http://www.keylessride.com/images/side_welcome.gif

C6-13thOilotCar 12-03-2007 08:13 PM

Geniune GM remotes are avaivable from GMPARTSHOUSE.com for under $50.00. Takes 3 or 4 days to get.

grumpstar 11-30-2015 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by johnodrake (Post 1563012652)
Put it in the cubby in the back is one way. The antennae for recognizing the fob for starting are in the front, around the driver station, as I recall. You can also remove the battery. You can still start the car with a battery-less fob by inserting it into the slot in the glove box.

I tried the glove box way.....the car does not start. are you talking about the lock to the glove box????? its just a latch, no electronic's to it.

Kent1999 11-30-2015 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by johnodrake (Post 1563012652)

Originally Posted by grumpstar (Post 1591009285)
I tried the glove box way.....the car does not start.

This is one of those weird C6 oddities.

For some reason, *some* people can start their cars with a battery-less fob by sticking it in the glove box slot, and other people (like me and my previous C6) cannot.

Yeah, I know, right?:crazy2: Should be either one way or the other, but here we are.

Battery out and taped to the outside of the fob case is the way I store the emergency fob. Takes only 10 seconds to insert the battery and snap the fob closed.

gsflyer2011 11-30-2015 03:27 PM

Awww! When nothing good to say better thing is to keep ones mouth shot, but too many posts like this in the last week. When someone buys a car, any car, especially one that has complex electronics such as Corvette, one should read the owners manual. In case of emergency it is also located in the chevrolet web site under owners manuals. My father was one, he bought a used fiat ( lived in europa) drove whole summer with windows open in 100 deg temps not knowing the car he bought had AC.

EVRose 11-30-2015 04:13 PM

8 year old thread almost to the day. Cool! :D

aaranpeters 05-27-2016 01:49 AM

The key stays in my pocket, it works from about a metre or less away, yes it's still required for the ignition, but the radio will play for 15 mins without the ignition being activated.Then i find Fort Launder Locksmith and they are really awesome.

Peterabram 05-30-2016 01:41 AM

A few months ago the key for my is300 broke. The actual metal key part broke free from the plastic remote. For the longest time I always put the metal part of the key in the ignition, then held the remote close to the ignition so it would read the sensor inside it, and allow the car to fire. Well today I lost the remote part.Then i find Sunrise Locksmith and they do all the work and resolve my problem within 15 minutes.

Dano523 05-30-2016 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Kent1999 (Post 1591010051)
This is one of those weird C6 oddities.

For some reason, *some* people can start their cars with a battery-less fob by sticking it in the glove box slot, and other people (like me and my previous C6) cannot.

Yeah, I know, right?:crazy2: Should be either one way or the other, but here we are.

Easy fix, and the problem is the fob slot antenna is not clipped into it slot clip position. Hence the fob slot antenna is strong enough to pick up the fob with no batteries in it, so long as the antenna is right next to the fob in the slot.

Go to post #13
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...key-fob-s.html

steve2ski 07-15-2019 04:27 PM

Recently purchased a 2008 C6 coupe cannot get the thing to go to the programing mode - only received 1 fob when I purchased the car - would like to add a additional fob as a emergency spare.

But I have tried the programing steps listed in this thread with no luck. What am missing?