CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   Does the TV Cable have anything to do with WOT shifting points?.... (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/188737-does-the-tv-cable-have-anything-to-do-with-wot-shifting-points.html)

XtremeVette 11-24-2001 07:03 PM

Does the TV Cable have anything to do with WOT shifting points?....

I have heard only....NO.....is this true.....since I have gotten my car....don't know if it is normal....but she seems to tend to hang onto first a little longer than what would seem normal.....I get a long wind-up and then a good sling-shot back going into second.....is this normal...?...seems to just hold first for like maybe 1 second too long.....then goes to second......

could the torque converter also play any part in this?....I am changing that out next spring....was just curious....if its all transmission or if other variables play a part......thanks

jeff

J Z06 11-24-2001 08:38 PM

Re: Does the TV Cable have anything to do with WOT shifting points?.... (XtremeVette)

However it's done... I need to make mine shift at 6000 WOT. It's wayy early now...It cost me nearly 7 MPH in the 1/4. Manually shifted it,and it went right back to where it should be.

Vic'89 11-24-2001 09:14 PM

Re: Does the TV Cable have anything to do with WOT shifting points?.... (JD 90 383)

JD

You need to mod the governor. Very easy to do, but it takes a few tries.

My Tranny shifted at 5500 rpms, way to late for a stock TPI.

After about 5 tries playing with the governor, I got it to shift at 4700 rpms for the 1-2 and 2-3. You will need a lighter weight for later shifts.

Let me know if you need any help.

Vic

J Z06 11-24-2001 09:35 PM

Re: Does the TV Cable have anything to do with WOT shifting points?.... (Vic'89)

thanx vic!

i'll ask my tranny guy about it. see what he thinks. is it something that can be done without ripping the whole trans apart? you saw for yourself how much better it liked the later shifts.

i am eagerly awaiting that tape!! :)

jd

Vic'89 11-24-2001 09:38 PM

Re: Does the TV Cable have anything to do with WOT shifting points?.... (JD 90 383)

JD

The governor is on the drivers side of the Tranny. It can be removed in 5 mintues. You will have to make the weights lighter and then go out and do a WOT run and look at the shift points. Keep repeating this method, till you get the perfect shifts.

Vic

XtremeVette 11-24-2001 10:23 PM

Re: Does the TV Cable have anything to do with WOT shifting points?.... (Vic'89)

Vic....was wondering what you mean by 5 minutes?..what part are you removing....and where do you get these weights.....and what exactly do I do? Is this a kit....

thanks

Vic'89 11-24-2001 10:54 PM

Re: Does the TV Cable have anything to do with WOT shifting points?.... (XtremeVette)

Jeff

You need the B&M governor kit, I don't have the part number handy, but it costs about $30. I purchased mine from Summit Racing.

It will come with weights & springs. Basically you have to remove the governor and install the new weights or springs. I only played with the weights. I installed heavier weights to bring my WOT shift points down to 4700 rpm. The different weights will only affect the WOT shift points.

Jack up your car and take a look near the tail of the Tranny on the drivers side. You will see a round cover, you need to pry it out. The cover will pop off and you can remove the governor.

I'll have pictures for you tomorrow.

Vic

65Z01 11-24-2001 11:54 PM

Vic, does any fluid come out or can it be done in the driveway? Also does it firm up the shift or only change the rpm?

Have you gotten a time slip since you lowered your shift points?? Take a look at my dyno curve; I think our motors are very similar and a shift point of 5,200-5,400rpm would be about right (according to Drag2000).

Vic'89 11-25-2001 12:28 AM

Re: Does the TV Cable have anything to do with WOT shifting points?.... (65Z01)

Vic, does any fluid come out or can it be done in the driveway?
Jim, A little fluid does come out. I did this on my driveway. Just put a catch pan under and you will be fine. After doing this 5 times, I needed to add 1/2 quart of fluid.

Also does it firm up the shift or only change the rpm?
It only changes the shift points, the feel of the shift remains the same.

Have you gotten a time slip since you lowered your shift points?? Take a look at my dyno curve; I think our motors are very similar and a shift point of 5,200-5,400rpm would be about right (according to Drag2000).
Every time I shift later , I go slower. 4700 rpm's seems to get me the best ET.
I don't see how shifting at 5400 rpm will make us go faster.

What are you 1-2 and 2-3 WOT shift points ?

Vic

65Z01 11-25-2001 01:25 AM

Vic, thanks for the responses. Mine shifts about 4,800rpm. The shift speed decreased as I raised the shift point manually so I didn't gain anything in ET or trap speed. What I realy need is a tranny mod to speed up the shift as well as raise it. I think I need the full shift kit and I think that requires dropping the pan.

Remember our autos have almost a 2:1 drop in torque on the 1-2 shift. The idea of shifting later is to stay in each low gear past the HP peak. So the ideal shift point (for best trap speed & ET) is a trade off between roll off of high RPM power vs drop in torque after each shift.

XtremeVette 11-25-2001 12:20 PM

hmmm very interesting and Iam glad I asked....did not know this.....about the governor.....thanks Vic for the insight....can't wait to see those pics and try that out this spring....yet another thing I can tinker with and not be too afraid....as long as Iam careful, I don't see any probs....

thanks again...

jeff