CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   I'M SO CONFLICTED!! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/189179-im-so-conflicted.html)

wigi93 11-25-2001 08:47 PM

I'M SO CONFLICTED!!

i think i may geta biased response but here it goes. i like corvettes but i also like motorcycles. for what i want, i think one would cost about as much as the other. i really want a vette but i have heard wait for the perfect one...not the first one that comes along, and in that time i could get a brand new motorcycle. WHAT DO I DO?!?!?!?

bence13_33 11-25-2001 08:53 PM

Re: I'M SO CONFLICTED!! (wigi93)

Personally, I'd wait and get a nice 'Vette. Patience is a virtue, and you shouldn't just rush into a purchase of that proportion. That's just my opinion though. You need to purchase which ever you will get the most enjoyment out of. :cheers:

QuickVet 11-25-2001 09:00 PM

Re: I'M SO CONFLICTED!! (bence13_33)

bikes are to dangerous :nono:

CDaniel525 11-25-2001 09:50 PM

Get a vette.....ive had 2 bikes so far and got rid of them to do something to the vette....yes, they are faster than the vette, but not as much fun...
my .002

Chris

The_Dude 11-25-2001 10:04 PM

Motorcycling used to be my hobby, but I lost my spleen and paralyzed my shoulder last year in an accident. I was a very experienced rider (very close to being a MSF instructor), but still ended up getting into a crippling accident. I can't, in good conscience, advise anyone to ride motorcycles on the street. Too many things can happen with dire consequences. I would have walked away from the same accident in a car. I've always wanted a vette. Now I have one. I'll admit, it doesn't give me the same thrill as riding, but it's still a kick in the pants. Good luck with whatever you decide. :cheers:

[Modified by The_Dude, 8:05 PM 11/25/2001]

Shutdown1 11-25-2001 10:08 PM

Re: I'M SO CONFLICTED!! (The_Dude)

I don't know. Ask your mommy.

'74 Turbocharged 350, "Molested to perfection", class of '71

Chris@VetteFinders 11-25-2001 10:15 PM

Re: I'M SO CONFLICTED!! (Shutdown1)

I'd get a Dual Sport. I have had my 78 a couple years now and have already had more fun on my Motorcycle in 5 months than I have with the vette in 2 years. FYI this is my 5th bike.

I pretty much stay off the street though. I am considering buying a GSX-R for track events and not registering it for the street.

I'd get the vette later.

KTM 520 EXC, the ultimate. http://www.ktmusa.com/set_index.asp

[Modified by Rhys, 9:20 PM 11/25/2001]

wigi93 11-25-2001 10:18 PM

well i haven't really asked my mom too much. i have introduced the idea to her and she has yet to object. i already have a jeep that works well so i was thinking i could take on a new toy....either a vette or a bike. she hasn't really objected to the bike bc i have a clean driving record, but she doesn't want a broken down vette in the driveway. i know the driving record is good but it won't do anything in the event of a wreck, but if i am were going anywhere aside from in the subdivision i would take the jeep.

Chris@VetteFinders 11-25-2001 10:21 PM

Hmm, if you are a teenager, I certainly wouldn't recommend a street bike.

Shutdown1 11-25-2001 10:22 PM

..........sounds like you have a good mom, wigi. Regards

The_Dude 11-25-2001 11:17 PM

Re: I'M SO CONFLICTED!! (Rhys)

I have had my 78 a couple years now and have already had more fun on my Motorcycle in 5 months than I have with the vette in 2 years.
I pretty much stay off the street though
I would have to agree 100% with the above. Dirt bike riding is a blast. Besides being so much safer, I thought it was much more fun than riding my sportbike on the street. When my shoulder is strong enough, I'm going back to dirt bike riding.

Stingray1967 11-25-2001 11:38 PM

I'd get the vette, but hey, I'm a little biased........ ;)

Steve Straus 11-26-2001 12:07 AM

For the Dirt Bike vs. Street Bike debate,

If you have Dunes in your area, get a Banshee and hit the bowls and hills!!

I'm most likely going to be in Gordon's Well (just west of Yuma) over new years. Nothing beats going balls out at the top of a bowl, NOTHING.

In february I broke my hand doing that, so it's not totally safe, but really is anything?

As far as the Bike vs. Vette question, get a Vette, you'll live longer.

getlost 11-26-2001 12:20 AM

Re: I'M SO CONFLICTED!! (Steve Straus)

I've had alot of Bikes and Vettes...Corvettes are the best. Perfection is in the eye of the beholder. What year do you want?

wigi93 11-26-2001 12:43 AM

Re: I'M SO CONFLICTED!! (getlost)

well i like the 68-73 look but they are next to impossible to find and buy the time i find one i would have enough money to get a brand new bike

Steve Straus 11-26-2001 12:43 AM

well i like the 68-73 look but they are next to impossible to find and buy the time i find one i would have enough money to get a brand new bike
Hogwash..

Look harder.

mrbeaubo 11-26-2001 12:53 AM

How much do you have to spend? I'll help you find one.

Steve439 11-26-2001 02:43 AM

Bikes are a total rush, but I knew 3 guys that aren't around anymore.

I'd be dead myself if not for a helmet, and crippled if not for armored
leathers. Wasn't my goofing around - just that SUV that pulled out
right in front of me. Got away with a broken thumb and a Saturday
evening getting x-rayed for spine damage.

I'm in a startup company and I promised my partners I won't ride
again 'till they can afford to lose me. After that I'll probably get
an R1 or something and stick to the track.

My take - get a Vette - I love mine...

8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE 11-26-2001 03:54 AM

Re: I'M SO CONFLICTED!! (Steve439)

Last time I rode a murdercycle, I almost killed myself....lost the brakes heading for a four lane highway....took it into the bush between two parked cars....walked away and never rode again....that was 20 years ago.....It's those other moving objects that you have to share the road with. They're the ones who'll take you out. :seeya

UKPaul 11-26-2001 09:06 AM

Re: I'M SO CONFLICTED!! (8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE)

I've got both :D
It's your choice, but if you go for a bike don't do anything dumb like buy an R1 & think that you'll handle it OK (the cemetaries are full of people who thought they could handle all that power). Treat every other road user as a deaf & blind homicidal maniac.
I've owned my bike for 20 years & love it. I'd always ride it rather than drive my car (unless it was snowing/monsoon/etc), but I've put more miles on the Vette since I've had it than I have on the bike.
The advice "Don't buy the 1st Vette that you see" is good: the 1st Vette I saw was the best & was what I wanted. After taking the advice & turning it down to look at some others, I realised that it was the one for me & that it was at a good price. Luckily I managed to buy it, but I could have so easily missed out on it :(
Take somebody who knows Vettes with you when you look at any.

:cheers: