CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance-101/)
-   -   Ash tray door becoming a real PIA .... (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance/1892908-ash-tray-door-becoming-a-real-pia.html)

C6VetteMan 12-20-2007 03:10 PM

Ash tray door becoming a real PIA ....

Noticed many members mentioning this problem and seems to be a simple fix at the dealer. Went to my dealer this afternoon and their first response was the entire center consol had to be replaced !!! Seemed a little drastic to me, so I told them to research it a little more and get back to me. Your input is appreciated. Thanks and Merry Christmas !

vette-oholic 12-20-2007 03:46 PM

whats wrong with the door?

Buffy 12-20-2007 04:14 PM

The ash tray is available as a part and can be replaced; the center console has to come out to do it. Maybe that's what confused them. Note that the ash tray assembly does include the front panel, so there are different parts depending on if you have heated seats.

C6VetteMan 12-20-2007 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Buffy (Post 1563254473)
The ash tray is available as a part and can be replaced; the center console has to come out to do it. Maybe that's what confused them. Note that the ash tray assembly does include the front panel, so there are different parts depending on if you have heated seats.

Thanks. I have heated seats, never thought of that! Just what I needed. Have a Happy Holidays !!

C6VetteMan 12-20-2007 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by vette-oholic (Post 1563254055)
whats wrong with the door?

Many of the 06's seemed to have a "lazy" door catch. It will open if you look at it wrong!!

HawaiiC6 12-20-2007 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by C6VetteMan (Post 1563254834)
Many of the 06's seemed to have a "lazy" door catch. It will open if you look at it wrong!!

Yup that is the situation, hit a bump and the door would open which was being caused by a very tight spring. I stretched the spring and now I have no problems and the door still functions.

Purdue 12-20-2007 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by C6VetteMan (Post 1563253515)
Noticed many members mentioning this problem and seems to be a simple fix at the dealer. Went to my dealer this afternoon and their first response was the entire center consol had to be replaced !!! Seemed a little drastic to me, so I told them to research it a little more and get back to me. Your input is appreciated. Thanks and Merry Christmas !

The door can be replaced by itself.

However, they probably want to be prepared just in case they scratch the center console and need to replace it.

How do I know? My dealer scratched mine while replacing the ashtray door and had to order a new center console and I had to go back for the install a week later...:rolleyes: .

DSOMC6 12-20-2007 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by C6VetteMan (Post 1563254834)

:rofl:
2006 also and I have the exact same problem! Rev the motor and the friggen thing falls open! Drives me nuts!

jimcattani 04-27-2008 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by DSOMC6 (Post 1563257078)
:rofl:
2006 also and I have the exact same problem! Rev the motor and the friggen thing falls open! Drives me nuts!

Mine did the same. I am a nonsmoker so I just wanted it to stay shut. I took some heavy duty velco and stuck it to the inside lip of the door and where it comes in contact with the backplate. Seems to work for now-as long as you don't touch the door.

jimcattani 04-27-2008 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by HawaiiC6 (Post 1563255268)
Yup that is the situation, hit a bump and the door would open which was being caused by a very tight spring. I stretched the spring and now I have no problems and the door still functions.

Did you have to remove the door and/or dashpanel to get to the spring?