CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   Stainless Steel Brakelines (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/1902585-stainless-steel-brakelines.html)

Chris Kennedy 01-02-2008 11:27 AM

Stainless Steel Brakelines

Hi!

I am thinking about replacing the rubber brakelines with stainless steel lines. It appears that all the usual Corvette catalogs have them (Eckler's, MidAmerica, Corvette Central, VetteBrakes etc.), and at about the same price. Does anyone have any recommendations as to which source to use?

Thanks, and Happy New Year,

/s/ Chris Kennedy :flag:

Paul Ruggeri 01-02-2008 11:40 AM

I can't remember where I got mine, but they are Earl's. No problems and a noticable difference on the track.

Paul

redrose 01-02-2008 11:54 AM

we use braided stainless hoses on our circle track cars for protection from flying debris...toss the hoses at the end of each season for safety...grit gets in between the braid and teflon inner hose and ''pinholes'' the teflon...teflon inners fail at hose end crimps with age/flexing.

oem type rubber hoses are better/safer for street as the minute ''give'' of the rubber hose ''damps'' pressure spikes in ''panic stop'' situations and prevents total brake failure due to pressure-induced (spike) rupture elsewhere in brake system (look at your steel brake run-out lines where they are supported by plastic/steel brackets and you will likely see corrosion/ weakening, other potentials exist)

fwiw, GM dealerships received a service bulletin , several years ago, to refuse service of brake system on any vehicle with braided steel hoses.

Chris Kennedy 01-02-2008 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by redrose (Post 1563431734)
we use braided stainless hoses on our circle track cars for protection from flying debris...toss the hoses at the end of each season for safety...grit gets in between the braid and teflon inner hose and ''pinholes'' the teflon...teflon inners fail at hose end crimps with age/flexing.

oem type rubber hoses are better/safer for street as the minute ''give'' of the rubber hose ''damps'' pressure spikes in ''panic stop'' situations and prevents total brake failure due to pressure-induced (spike) rupture elsewhere in brake system.

fwiw, GM dealerships received a service bulletin , several years ago, to refuse service of brake system on any vehicle with braided steel hoses.

Thanks for this information---I had not heard about the GM bulletin.

/s/ Chris Kennedy

JEFNLSA 01-02-2008 12:26 PM

I bought my Goodridge SS lines from www.performancepeddler.com

Call them & tell them you are a forum member and they'll cut you a heck of a deal. I think I paid less than $90 for all 4 lines SHIPPED. No other sources were even close in price.

Sidney004 01-02-2008 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by JEFNLSA (Post 1563432218)
I bought my Goodridge SS lines from

I have used Goodridge SS lines on my C4 that I use for street and track events for over 5 years; countless brake pad changes, caliper changes, etc.
Very high quality, English made.

1bdvet 01-02-2008 12:57 PM

I bought from Ecklers, very happy!

JEFNLSA 01-02-2008 01:07 PM

Ecklers = $130 + shipping
Mid America = $110 + shipping
Performance Peddler = less than $90 shipped

I'd pick door #3 :yesnod:

Re: www.performancepeddler.com

Even their advertised price of $104 ($103.99) includes free shipping. Now, if you call them & tell them you're a forum member, they'll drop the price significantly. Ask for Francisco...I've dealt w/ him numerous times and he has no problem giving the forum discount.

Chris Kennedy 01-02-2008 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by JEFNLSA (Post 1563432807)
Ecklers = $130 + shipping
Mid America = $110 + shipping
Performance Peddler = less than $90 shipped

I'd pick door #3 :yesnod:

Re: www.performancepeddler.com

Even their advertised price of $104 ($103.99) includes free shipping. Now, if you call them & tell them you're a forum member, they'll drop the price significantly. Ask for Francisco...I've dealt w/ him numerous times and he has no problem giving the forum discount.

Are they all the Goodridge brand?

/s/ Chris Kennedy

DonF 01-02-2008 04:26 PM

I have had sets on my 84, 89, 96 CE, & my other 96 LT4 from Vette Brakes all cars used for street & track days never a problem. :cheers:

scooter18155 01-02-2008 04:31 PM

just dont get them from mid america if the line goes bad there warranty service sux. my rear line blew on me last aug a cpl months after installation and im still waiting for my replacement line. they keep giving my bs excuses they are looking for a replacement. and that is after they argued with me for 2 months about them wanting me to pull the busted line off and measuring it with a ruler! i think 3 times i called and tried explaining this shouldnt be neccessary and after finally convincing them to hook me up with their technician he told me all they needed to know was a front or rear hose. i was like wtf i told the ladies like 3 or 4 times i needed a rear one and all i got was oh were sorry there must have been a mixup with the message and well get one out asap. that was late oct. needless to say im still waiting :toetap: verry unpaitently at this point and all i get when i call is we are still looking for a replacement for you. im sorry about the rant here but i would hate to see someone else go through what i am. needless to say ill be doing verry little buisness with them in the future and am considering buying a whole new set someplace else due to my tired of waiting for one hose.

JEFNLSA 01-02-2008 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Kennedy (Post 1563435284)
Are they all the Goodridge brand?

/s/ Chris Kennedy

The one's I'm referring to are. Why, not fond of that brand?

Chris Kennedy 01-02-2008 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by JEFNLSA (Post 1563435671)
The one's I'm referring to are. Why, not fond of that brand?

I just wanted to make sure the comparison was for the same brand---until you mentioned Goodridge I hadn't heard of them.

Cheers and thanks,

/s/ Chris

JEFNLSA 01-02-2008 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Kennedy (Post 1563436076)
I just wanted to make sure the comparison was for the same brand---until you mentioned Goodridge I hadn't heard of them.

Cheers and thanks,

/s/ Chris

No problem. :cheers:

From what I understand, Goodridge is considered a top brand name. Mine fit great...you won't go wrong w/ these.

ZumZum 01-02-2008 05:10 PM

I ordered mine from Summit I think about $100 delivered. Earl's Brand if I remember correctly. No problems, they seem quality made.

rickneworleansla 01-02-2008 05:31 PM

I went with Earl's from Summit.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...s_Bleeders.jpg

ScaryFast 01-02-2008 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by JEFNLSA (Post 1563436269)

From what I understand, Goodridge is considered a top brand name. Mine fit great...you won't go wrong w/ these.

Goodridge is popular on race cars, including mine.

$90 is a great price, I paid that for just the fronts a few years ago.

I don't know about Earls brake lines specifically, but I have used other parts of that brand and they're good quality. I expect you'll be happy with either.

Chris Kennedy 01-02-2008 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by JEFNLSA (Post 1563436269)

Yeah---I checked with VetteBrakes and that's what they sell, too.

/s/ Chris

Chris Kennedy 01-02-2008 08:50 PM

Thanks, everyone, for your quick and extremely helpful replies!

Regards,

/s/ Chris :flag:

jaa1992 01-02-2008 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Paul Ruggeri (Post 1563431515)
I can't remember where I got mine, but they are Earl's. No problems and a noticable difference on the track.

Paul

I first bought goodridge lines, one was bad out of the box, one rubbed through because I didn't install it correctly, another developed a leak. The banjo bolts were crap.

I bought a set of Earls from Summit Racing and they are da bomb!
They have the same style block at the caliper end as stock lines!
They are marked as to which wheel to install them at! IIRC they were about $100 for the set.
Didn't include banjo bolts, just reuse the stock ones.