CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Corvette is NOT a cold weather car (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/1915194-corvette-is-not-a-cold-weather-car.html)

tpereira 01-16-2008 11:20 AM

Corvette is NOT a cold weather car

I used to say you buy em to drive em. I had every intention of driving it all winter as long as the roads were clear. NO MORE. Accelerating onto the highway, shifted from 3rd to 4th, and broke traction. Next thing Im sideways heading for a guard rail. Supercar tires are crap in the cold. Never Again. Im fine, just a lump on the head.

Hmm maybe time for the Z06 bumper and fenders.

http://www.velocityyellow.com/1.JPG

http://www.velocityyellow.com/2.JPG

loubob57 01-16-2008 11:23 AM

Ouch! Glad to hear you're OK.

986_C6 01-16-2008 11:24 AM

:eek: Sorry to see that!

I do drive in the winter, but am extremely careful with the throttle. At least you are ok...like you said, time for the wider fenders.

marc4427 01-16-2008 11:24 AM

Sorry to see that, but at least your ok.

RRVettes 01-16-2008 11:28 AM

Sorry about the damage. Yep, these puppy's don't do well in snow or ice. I hope the repair goes well. :cheers:

talon90 01-16-2008 11:30 AM

Sorry for your trouble.

^ROCKSTAR^ 01-16-2008 11:32 AM

man...it is soooo painful to see this...BUT
at least you're ok. Things like cars can be replaced...lives can't

traindude 01-16-2008 11:33 AM

Sorry about your Vette. :(

Glad to hear you're okay! :thumbs:

Wayne O 01-16-2008 11:36 AM

I'm sorry to see the damage to your car and I'm glad you're OK. The damage to the car can be fixed. IMO the C6 looks great the way it is....there's no need to make it look like something it isn't. I'd get it repaired and consider yourself fortunate you weren't seriously injured. Good luck!

AORoads 01-16-2008 11:36 AM

Sorry to see that -- where/what state is that? Glad you're ok.

Corvette Junkie 01-16-2008 11:40 AM

That hurts!

dvilin 01-16-2008 11:41 AM

:eek: Sorry to see the damage to your Vette, thankfully you are okay. I guess I will continue to keep my Vette in the garage during the "Off Season".

pimpinvcu 01-16-2008 11:41 AM

Wow! Glad you're OK and def use the insurance to upgrade to the Z06 bumper!!! Thats what I always think of when some idiot pulls out in front of me... new parts :)

Wightmn 01-16-2008 11:48 AM

Sorry to hear about the car. Glad you are ok. Was there moisture on the street or just cold? Doesn't the active handling try to keep you headed in the right direction?

AP 01-16-2008 11:48 AM

Let me guess ... you have the Z51 suspension ... because that would make the situation even worse ...

As far as the upgrade ... it's not a bad idea ... but I doubt your insurance will pay for the rims and rears that would complete the look ... but it's not a bad way to get it done a little cheaper.

VettinFan 01-16-2008 11:49 AM

OUCH! :ack:
Sorry 'bout that. We now have the before pics, don't forget to send us the after pics. I'm sure the repairs will go well and it'll look like new, again.

~AL~

Vet 01-16-2008 11:49 AM

Sorry to hear about it.

Was your traction control fully on?

Even with traction control fully on as it should be when on the street, these cars are notorious for spinning out easily in these types of instances. I doubt any "traction control" scheme could ever engage "instantly", but the C6 traction control does seem to take a "while" to engage. Due to the abundant power of the car, even a few "split seconds" of heavy wheel spin (before the traction control can kill it) is enough to send the car spinning.

I wonder if it is possible for GM to fine-tune the traction control to jump in "quicker", or if they have it set to engage as fast as humanly possible now. It seems that very many mishaps are caused by wheel spin on these cars.

Yes, the Supercar tires are more "slippery" in the cold, you need to simply be aware of their limitations in the cold and drive accordingly. I also once experienced some unexpected nasty wheel spin on a 2nd to 3rd shift in near freezing temps, but I was able to let off it fast enough to save it. After that I learned how to deal with the Supercars in the cold and have put very many more thousands of miles on the car in freezing temps with zero problems.

Don't let this mishap scare you from driving in the cold. Hopefully with a new front bumper your car will be as good as new... so you lucked out. It could have been WAY worse... glad it wasn't. Put the car back together and continue using an enjoying it... in all temps... just be sensitive to the fact that you will have adequate but yet reduced traction below say 40F degrees. A hard shift with a bit of gusto on the accelerator pedal can easily cause wheel spin... be a bit more "gentle" than usual and you should have no problems.

:cheers:

su8pack1 01-16-2008 11:58 AM

:eek: Ouch. Glad you're OK.

VetteManRay 01-16-2008 11:58 AM

A Big “HELLO” from Forest Hill, Maryland

Sorry about your Corvette, you never want to see your baby hurt. Good luck on the repair. When there is rain, ice or snow, Corvettes don't go. Strickly a fair weather sports car.

VetteR1 01-16-2008 12:08 PM

OOHH that hurts! Glad that your okay! I learned my lesson not with the vette but with other cars. If I home and I hear it's going to snow I leave the vette at home and take public trans. If it snows and I'm at work and have the vette with me I leave her there, and again take the pubic trans. I'm more worried about the others out there than myself.