CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Tech (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech-1/)
-   -   anti venom mod good or bad (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/1926843-anti-venom-mod-good-or-bad.html)

U-VET-CHA 01-29-2008 04:03 PM

anti venom mod good or bad

i just got my c6z shifter from gene and am going to instal it in my 2004z. has anyone gone another step and done the anti venom mod. if so what was your impressions? did you get the mod or just add washers to the existing bolt? any comments appreciated. thank you.

Got uid0 01-29-2008 04:10 PM

why is it named such a non descriptive name any ways?

eldudereno 01-29-2008 05:54 PM

The shift is easier with the anti-venom mod that I did on my 2004 Z. Just do it and see if you like it or not, it's one of the easiest and cheapest mods that you can do.

Chevy Guy 01-29-2008 06:03 PM

Do a search on it, its been discussed to death.

IMO, it makes the trans feel worn out and you lose the "feel" to the shifts. You are taking most or all of the detent out of the trans which is a bad thing.

mneblett 01-29-2008 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Chevy Guy (Post 1563859864)
Do a search on it, its been discussed to death.

IMO, it makes the trans feel worn out and you lose the "feel" to the shifts. You are taking most or all of the detent out of the trans which is a bad thing.

This is true only if you back the detent out too much. Experiment with the washer thickness and you can get a good balance between reduced resistance to movement and precision. Having done so on my C5 and my C6, I'm very happy with the results.

Separate issue: What's the basis for your last comment? Decreasing the detent engagement is not a "bad" thing as long as you don't eliminate all engagement.

Last item, to the previous poster: It's named after the forum name of the guy that started the ball rolling on this.

Chevy Guy 01-29-2008 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by mneblett (Post 1563859983)
This is true only if you back the detent out too much. Experiment with the washer thickness and you can get a good balance between reduced resistance to movement and precision. Having done so on my C5 and my C6, I'm very happy with the results.

Separate issue: What's the basis for your last comment? Decreasing the detent engagement is not a "bad" thing as long as you don't eliminate all engagement.

Last item, to the previous poster: It's named after the forum name of the guy that started the ball rolling on this.

The original anti venom mod eliminates the detent completely, people began using washers as a way to get around buying the anti venom mod plug.

Detents play a valuable role in the operation of the transmission. Having a solid mechanism to hold shift forks in a neutral position and keeping undue drag/pressure off the forks and shift assembly extend the life of synchros, idlers, shift forks, and other associated components.

Once again, its my opinion that removing or even lessening the detent action just makes the trans feel worn out. You want a positive feel to the shifts.

Plasticfan 01-29-2008 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by mneblett (Post 1563859983)

Thanks mneblett, I've been wondering about that for a good while.:)

Corvette-Chris 01-29-2008 09:17 PM

I thought it was named anti venom because originally it was named Venom and they charged and outrageous price for the part......so people started using washers which got the name anti-venom.

Who knows, thats just what I have read before :D

striper 01-30-2008 12:22 AM

Anti-venom is the name of a person's business in Florida that does Corvette mod work. The name is a play on outperforming Cobras and Vipers, hence the Corvette is the "anti-venom". He invented the replacement bolt that did away with the detent mechanism. Someone figured out you could install a washer instead that would sort of accomplish the same thing but retain the spring loaded detent ball. It would also be much less expensive using the correct washer. I installed the washer in my car. It still retains some of the feel of the detent but shifting is a lot smoother and easier. Recommended mod, it works great.

dwjz06 01-30-2008 09:09 AM

I used the plug in mine from Antivenom. So no detent. It does not feel worn out just less notchy. I have not missed a shift or bent any forks since installing over a year ago. Some people say it is to sloppy without the detent. I like the feel and have no problem shifting the car. I also changed to the C6Z shifter this past July. Nice improvment as well. You should just try it to see if it works for you. Do not take other peoples opinions on how your car will feel! You decide. Also the washer method is cheaper, and does the same thing if you space it out enough. And for the poster that said it wears stuff out faster :bs I talked with the Tremec guys at Carlisle and he said it would not hurt anything at all unless you can't shift worth a **it to begin with and then all bets are off anyway:cheers: Don

vincentjames501 01-30-2008 10:55 AM

Whats the difference between the washer method and the detent method? Do they both do the same thing? Can they both be done at the same time? Anybody post a link about doing this mod?

Thanks,
Vince

dwjz06 01-30-2008 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by vincentjames501 (Post 1563869352)
Whats the difference between the washer method and the detent method? Do they both do the same thing? Can they both be done at the same time? Anybody post a link about doing this mod?

Thanks,
Vince

The Antivenom part is simply a bolt made to replace the factory detent. It also has a rubber o-ring on it. The washers are used to place over the factory detent to space the detent away from the linkage. Don

Chevy Guy 01-30-2008 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by dwjz06 (Post 1563867937)
And for the poster that said it wears stuff out faster :bs I talked with the Tremec guys at Carlisle and he said it would not hurt anything at all unless you can't shift worth a **it to begin with and then all bets are off anyway:cheers: Don

Believe what you will, I speak form practical experience, not just "talking to people". You really think GM put the detent there and at a particular spacing for no reason?

As always, my statements are IMO. What you do with your car is your business.

dwjz06 01-30-2008 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Chevy Guy (Post 1563870150)
Believe what you will, I speak form practical experience, not just "talking to people". You really think GM put the detent there and at a particular spacing for no reason?

As always, my statements are IMO. What you do with your car is your business.

I would hope that 15K miles and over a year with it installed would count for pratical experience. You think GM is perfect? Lets talk column lock issues, fuel sender issues and a slew of others. I'm not trying to get into a pissing contest. I am saying the OP should try it to see if it works for him. No More No Less! I left it in. YMMV. Don

Chevy Guy 01-30-2008 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by dwjz06 (Post 1563870387)
I am saying the OP should try it to see if it works for him. No More No Less! I left it in. YMMV. Don

I agree with that 110% That is the ultimate test of a mod. As always - to each his own. I tried it and absolutely hated it.

jbauch357 01-30-2008 12:20 PM

posts 10 and 15 in this thread explain the anti-venom mod and the shifter linkage adjustment. if you're running a stock shifter I wouldn't recommend this cause it does make the trans feel like a 67 VW bus.... but if you've got a short shifter it's a nice mod to bring the shift pressure back to stock while retaining the shorter throw of your aftermarket shifter...

dwjz06 01-30-2008 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Chevy Guy (Post 1563870500)
I agree with that 110% That is the ultimate test of a mod. As always - to each his own. I tried it and absolutely hated it.

:thumbs: :cheers:

Billdog350 01-30-2008 01:16 PM

I have done the anti venom mod on a 1997 MN6 with a C6Z shifter and knob. The difficulty of shifting has dropped considerably, but as people say it also lessens the "nochyness" so if you're looking for definitive shift gates/feel, this isn't the mod for you.

I personally like the easier shifting and haven't seen any negative effects with over 5k since I did the mod.

HP_Addict 01-30-2008 02:13 PM

I put the washer on mine and removed it after about a week. I did not like the sloppy feel, plus it was difficult to feel good engagement of the gears. I like positive engagement. I changed mine back to stock and will never consider it again. On a side note I like to drive my car hard and shift fast, if you are just cruising around and "granny" shifting you might like it better.

jbauch357 01-31-2008 04:56 PM

if you have an actual short shifter (hurst, B&M, MTI, etc.) it's a nice mod, for anybody with stock or similar (C6 is not a short shifter) it's probably going to feel like crap.