CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   60/61 hardtop question (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/1929120-60-61-hardtop-question.html)

jerude 01-31-2008 10:42 PM

60/61 hardtop question

Can a 1960 hard top be used on a 1961 if the '60 decklid is used as well? If not, is there any way the 60 top can be used on a '61?

rich5962 02-01-2008 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by jerude (Post 1563896644)
Can a 1960 hard top be used on a 1961 if the '60 decklid is used as well? If not, is there any way the 60 top can be used on a '61?

The 60 decklid won't fit on the 61/62 without some modifications. Very different profiles. The biggest problem to fit the 60 on the 61 is the ridge at center of the 61 lid. Sure you could grind it down but that'd relly be a shame. The 61/62 top has 2 hold down boltss at the rear, each side of center, and at fwd fronts both sides above the door rear tips. 60's are held down with 3 bolts, center, left & right rear glass area, with 2 alignment pins that fit into special stainless trims just behind the door ends on the body.

Sounds like you got a 60 top and trying to make it work. May be best to try to sell the 60 top and locate a 61/62 top to save you lots of grief.

IMHO,
Rich

jerude 02-01-2008 04:41 PM

Thank you for the response Rich, that is exactly the info i was looking for. You are correct, my 61 project came with a '60 top and i was hoping there was a way to make it work. I have no intention of hacking the car or the top so i will look to trade it or sell it and find a proper hard top for it. What years will the '60 top fit? (58-60?) Should a 61-2 top have about the same value as an earlier top in similar condition? Thanks for your help, it is much appreciated.

DZAUTO 02-01-2008 07:47 PM

ALSO, the rear attachment points ate TOTALLY different between 56-60 and 61-62 hardtops. Sooooooooooooooooo, even if you put a 60 decklid on a 61--------------------------YOU STILL WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO BOLT DOWN THE REAR OF THE HARDTOP!
Sounds as if you just need to find someone who needs to swap.

zadspal 02-01-2008 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by DZAUTO (Post 1563910136)
Sounds as if you just need to find someone who needs to swap.

:iagree:
For the time and money your going to spend trying to make this one work you would come out much better buying the correct top and selling yours. They arn't that hard to find and the one you have should sell quickly or "swap it", I'm sure that is also a viable option.

OC-1 02-02-2008 07:50 AM

60 onto 61

You can put a 60 top on a 61/62 with no modification.

I would not recommnd you do it.

The top will have gaps along the back sides but I believe the brackets near the door will bolt up. The top latches will also work and the front will seal.

How do I know? My brother-in-law purchased a 61 way back when and did not even notice the gaps until he got home. He had previously owned a couple of vettes. So while it may not fit like it should you could do it. Park nose uphill if it rains.

If you can get the top at a good price it gets you in the game and you can trade for a 61/62 later. If you have the bucks keep looking. $150 used to be the going rate for hardtops. They have appreciated some over time.

wmf62 02-02-2008 07:53 AM

it may sit on the car, but DON"T use it...
Bill

tomply32 02-02-2008 08:25 AM

hardtop

nope get a 61 62 hardtop and sell the 60:)

gofastvette 02-02-2008 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by OC-1 (Post 1563915187)

The top will have gaps along the back sides but I believe the brackets near the door will bolt up. The top latches will also work and the front will seal.

How do I know? My brother-in-law purchased a 61 way back when and did not even notice the gaps until he got home. He had previously owned a couple of vettes. So while it may not fit like it should you could do it. Park nose uphill if it rains.

If you can get the top at a good price it gets you in the game and you can trade for a 61/62 later. If you have the bucks keep looking. $150 used to be the going rate for hardtops. They have appreciated some over time.

Impossible, The 61/62 tops have 4 mounting points two on the deck the other two on the body, not the deck. And the 58/60 only has 3 points and mounts to the deck.

It would never lay flat on the deck. Probably blow off going down the boulevard and thirdly it would look like hell. :lol:

Price!!, try 2K+ for a good core needing to be totally rebuilt. A good one maybe only 4K+ if it`s all there. :cheers:

OC-1 02-03-2008 11:26 AM

not impossible

Try it!

OC-1 02-03-2008 01:43 PM

interspecies breeding

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/3...1bsmallae4.jpg

Can't find my shots of the 60 top on the 61 vette but the comparison is close enough to illustrate what you would see.

Here is a 61 top on a 57. It doesn't "fit".... but it can be attached and driven from point A to point B.

See how close it "fits"? there is a slight gap on the side but the back fits flat.

The rubber weatherstip has enough size and flex to accomodate the profile somewhat, so a 56-60 top would be similar. It won't 'fit' as designed but it will 'fit' as is.

IMA

Ironcross 02-03-2008 01:55 PM

No way "as is", the mounting points are not the same. "Try it"....:lol:

kenba 02-03-2008 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by jerude (Post 1563896644)

Sell the hard top if you can. I think a hard top is usless if you have a soft top. I never put one on my cars except when they are judged at NCRS. They wear the paint on the deck lid & its hard to put on & off without scraching the paint. If you store the car for a long time with the soft top down it will shrink up. In the winter here I store them with the top up.
KEN :cheers:

OC-1 11-03-2008 08:48 AM

GM's take on 61/62 hardtop retrofit

Corvette Action Center Knowledgebase

1956 - 1960: Chevrolet Central Office Letter: Substitution for 1961 Corvette Hardtop Assemblies on
Prior Models
Subject: Substitution for 1961 Corvette Hardtop Assemblies on Prior Models
Model and Year: 1956-1960 Chevrolet Corvette
Source: Chevrolet Central Office Letter
Number: 61-613
Date: June 30, 1961
TO: ZONE P & A MANAGERS
WAREHOUSE MANAGERS
Central Office is receiving requests to supply Corvette Hardtop Assemblies fro 1960 and earlier models.
These Hardtop Assemblies were discontinued from service in the normal course of business following the
expiration of the 1960 models.
A practical installation of the 1961 Corvette Hardtop can be made on these prior models, but referral to the
ordering Dealer should be made to be certain this substitution is satisfactory, prior to making shipment. The
attached "Proposed Letter to Dealers" is recommended whenever an order is received for a 1960 model
hardtop, Part Nos. 3764630-1-2.
Yours very truly,
F.J. Welsh, Mgr. P & A Interchangeability
P & A Merchandising Department
PROPOSED LETTER TO DEALERS
Recently you placed an order with us for a 1958-1960 model Corvette Hardtop Assembly, Part
No._____________________________.
We regret to advise this part is no longer available; however ,the 1961 Corvette hardtop Assembly can be
satisfactorily installed on 1956-1960 Corvette Models by following the procedure listed on the attachment to
this letter.
Please advise if you wish us to ship you the 1961 Corvette Hardtop Assembly, Part No. 3785209. If so, fill out
a PC 66 Order Form and forward to the warehouse in the normal manner. Regular terms of replacement
parts sales will apply.
Please retain the attached installation instructions for mounting this Hardtop Assembly when it is received by
you, if you select to order the 1961 model unit.
Yours very truly,
INSTRUCTIONS FOR INSTALLING 1961 CORVETTE HARDTOP ASSEMBLIES ON PRIOR MODELS
Place the top in position on the body and fasten the front end securely by closing the two retaining clamps
1/2
over the brackets mounted on the windshield header bar.
Carefully, press in the sides of the top at the rear of the door openings, allowing the U shaped retaining
brackets on each side of the top to slide over the body trim moulding ends at the door openings. (This will
both position and retain the top assembly on each side at the rear of the door openings.)
Fill in the space between the body and top rear lower trim moulding weatherstrip by cementing flat sponge
rubber sealing strips to the underside of the moulding whenever an opening of sufficient size exists to require
sealing.
Using the two pierced retaining brackets mounted on the rear of the Hardtop Assembly as a template, locate
and drill two holes in the folding top compartment cover. Assemble the two special internal threaded retaining
inserts furnished in this package into these holes and fasten securely by tightening the mounting nuts. Fasten
down the rear of the Hardtop Assembly with the retaining studs, also furnished in this package.
Paint the vinyl coated headlining to match the body internal color, if necessary.
General Motors bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, not a "do-it-yourselfer". They are
written to inform those technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information
that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools,
safety instructions and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, do not assume
that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See a General Motors
dealer servicing your brand of General Motors vehicle for information on whether your vehicle may benefit
from the information.
© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

From the Corvette Action Center technical database

Muttley 11-03-2008 01:46 PM

just sent you a pm

drivette 11-03-2008 02:58 PM

Trade in?

If your top is in need of a restoration anyway, see if one of the top restoration shops will take yours in trade for a restored one of the correct year. Good luck

Micksnip 12-05-2018 08:43 PM

Hardt

Originally Posted by OC-1 (Post 1563915187)

uhhhh....150????? They were 250 new. I have a 61 and junk sells for up to 2700, and mine refurbished with new headliner was $4000. Seen em for near 7000. Recently.

68hemi 12-05-2018 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Micksnip (Post 1598451304)

uhhhh....150????? They were 250 new. I have a 61 and junk sells for up to 2700, and mine refurbished with new headliner was $4000. Seen em for near 7000. Recently.

This thread is 10 years old, however yes, they were worth more even back then.

mike coletta 12-06-2018 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Micksnip (Post 1598451304)

This thread is from 2008. Read the forum rules

tgtexas02 12-06-2018 08:46 AM

Even though this thread is old thought I would add some clarifying info regarding the significant difference between 56-60 and 61-62 hardtops. The bulletin posted by OC-1 shows that the 56-60 top can (but I wouldn't do it) be mounted on the 61-62 cars; however, I believe mounting a 61-62 top on a 56-60 would be much more challenging because of the extreme rear window to decklid gaps . Besides the decklid contour and hump and mounting brackets on 61-62 tops, the most significant difference to me is the length of the top's side rail channels from header to the point of attachment at the bottom rear rail to rear bottom main frame attachment. Visually, the side rails all look identical but the 61-62 side rails are about one inch shorter than 56-60 channels (with or without the "y" clip SS trim piece). This makes the 61-62 rear (obviously the hump) and side window lengths shorter. Essentially, things that can be interchanged (the 56 header and roof panel are unique) are header, header SS trim, fiberglass roof panel, rear window upper (interior/exterior) SS trim, headliners, and front latches. The items that are totally different are rear and side glass, rear and side window SS Trim, rear lower main channel and SS trim, side rails, and interior side rail upper SS trim. When you check the catalogs out for glass and trim, this is really why you see the year application differences.