CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   POR-15 is AMAZING stuff!!! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/194650-por-15-is-amazing-stuff.html)

gearheadz 12-04-2001 08:05 PM

POR-15 is AMAZING stuff!!!

Just restored my windshield frame. After stripping all paint & most of the rust with wire brushes and grinder, I treated it with Restomotive's starter kit ($13.95) consisting of Marine Cleaner, Metal Ready and then POR-15 Black. Man, does it look good. The POR-15 goes on super easy and dries super hard, shiny and smooth (applied with a brush).

If you have anything that you're restoring on your car that needs rust protection, I would HIGHLY recommend their products. I'll post before & after pictures soon.
http://www.por-15.com

Mark

Mike73 12-04-2001 08:34 PM

Re: POR-15 is AMAZING stuff!!! (mdsmith)

POR-15 is amazing ! Last winter I used it on the frame of my Vette, I had a little bit left over and wanted to paint something else, anything. I walked out of my toasty warm garage and found an old farm implement that has been outside and rusting for well over 50 years. It was about 35 degrees out and rainy, I started slopping the remainder of the POR-15 on it (in the cold rain), this summer I checked the thing and it is perfect, I pounded on it with a hammer and could not chip it off !!! Needless to say, if it worked this well on the farm implement under way less than idea conditions, it will work very well for your automotive restoration needs !

Mike

flynhi 12-05-2001 12:42 AM

I've used it on the outdrive on my ski boat to stop corrosion. So far excellent results!

phoenix 12-05-2001 12:53 AM

Re: POR-15 is AMAZING stuff!!! (flynhi)

I agree with the above. I just got my gallon of marine clean, quart of metal ready, pint of silver POR15 and quart of Black semigloss :D:D

Buy it directly from POR15 and you save about $10-15 per quart over what some of the resellers have it for, plus less shipping and you get their whole booklet too :cheers:

Jughead 12-05-2001 05:44 AM

Re: POR-15 is AMAZING stuff!!! (phoenix)

I agree, great stuff. I've used their paint(black and silver), their manifold paint and the putty. All worked better than I expected.

In the instructions I think I read that POR-15 shouldn't be exposed to direct UV rays(I think it chamges colors) but I couldn't resist my own test. I Painted parts of our rusting basketball pole out back. It was about 60 degrees. I prepped it with metal ready and then painted. It's been almost a year and the POR-15 is holding up well. Looks like the day I painted it and the pole gets direct sunlight most of the day!

Pedro'74 12-05-2001 07:46 AM

Re: POR-15 is AMAZING stuff!!! (1970 Stingray)

I used their gas tank kit, and it's great stuff too. Also used the gloss black POR-15 on some little parts that were completely destroyed by corrosion (e.g. the little metal bracket under the battery compartment). That thing is really tough! I still have five cans out of the "six-pack" I got, and need to decide where to use'em.

-Pedro

Eddie 70 12-05-2001 10:11 AM

Re: POR-15 is AMAZING stuff!!! (Pedro'74)

I used it last year on the rebuild of my rear suspension. I painted the rear half of the frame, the drive shaft and both half shafts. Goes on easy and like everyone else says rock hard. I used black and am happy as can be with it. I am going to order more pretty soon so I can do the front suspension this winter. I really liked the stuff.

I can hardly wait. :bs

Monty 12-05-2001 12:09 PM

Re: POR-15 is AMAZING stuff!!!

You guys sound like an infomercial!

Seriously, I love the stuff too. I painted my frame and suspension with it two years ago, and it still looks like new.

jerryp58 12-05-2001 01:48 PM

Can we see some pics?

I've never used the stuff, but was thinking about it for the areas exposed by my spare tire tub removal.

It goes on by brush, right?
Does it look smooth or rough?
Is there anyplace besides the Web to buy it?

Thanks.

81vette 12-05-2001 01:55 PM

Re: POR-15 is AMAZING stuff!!! (jerryp58)

SOLD!!!

How much paint do I need to order to cover the frame? Silver or Black?

mulchie 12-05-2001 02:07 PM

I used it on the trailer hitch and rear frame section of my wife's Landcruiser. Works great. Caution: For exposed applications you must apply the Por-15 top coat for UV protection. They have a top coat called "chassis black" that's a dead ringer for most vette semi-gloss applications.

Por-15 will bubble and peel when exposed to UV if the top coat is not used. Right Matt??

gearheadz 12-05-2001 02:08 PM

Re: POR-15 is AMAZING stuff!!! (81vette)

JerryP...it goes on with a brush but can be sprayed (in diluted mixture). Even with a brush it dries smoother than traditional spray can type paint. The black is extremely glossy...the wet look remains even when dry.

Monty...yeah it does sound like a sales pitch but I wish I had known about the stuff earlier when I did my front suspension & frame. So when I come across something good, I feel obligated to get the word out.

SOLD!!! How much paint do I need to order to cover the frame? Silver or Black?
Its coverage is great too. I did my whole windshield frame (2 coats) with half a pint. For the entire frame, I would start with a gallon of Black Semi-Gloss and buy more if necessary later.

Mark

[Modified by mdsmith, 1:11 PM 12/5/2001]

phoenix 12-05-2001 02:09 PM

Re: POR-15 is AMAZING stuff!!! (81vette)

The silver is a little thicker and can be used for more of a filling in pitted metal.

The black is very thin, and goes a very long way surprisingly. 2 coats and it looks great by brush, but definitely smooth off the rust first because you can't sand it after you POR15 it. :D

I got a quart and did the rear crossmember and rear frame with about 2 Oz (2 coats) Pour a small amount after mixing it into a smaller container so that you don't leave the larger one open. When you close it, use plastic wrap under the lid otherwise you will never get it open again. :cheers:

bhawk 12-05-2001 02:32 PM

A couple tips I learned with POR 15. Make sure you put subsequent coats on prior coat that is still a bit damp, they call it finger drag. Once the first coat dries more than 24 hours, it is so slick, nothing wants to stick to it. They recommend second coats after about 4-5 hours. In my case it set up sooner. Also a small foam roller makes a real nice job on flatter surfaces, better than even a bristle brush. Also dont expect a six pack of paints to last more than a year or so unopened. Some of mine separated in the container and hardened with a skin coat on top. Best to use it soon after purchase. Otherwise, great stuff.