CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06-136/)
-   -   [Z06] Looking a 08 Z06..Nav or no Nav?? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06/1958974-looking-a-08-z06-nav-or-no-nav.html)

My12thVette 03-04-2008 09:23 PM

Looking a 08 Z06..Nav or no Nav??

Started looking today for a Z06 and found a pair in the same price range. I like both colors..black and jetstream blue, so that is not the issue. Does having Navigation really make a difference on this car? My 05 C6 ragtop had it and I really never used it. Seems like a waste, plus the audio system really sounds better without the Nav unit. Do most of you that have it really use it or was it just that dealer ordered it that way and you did not want to wait for a special order? BTY, the Jetstream Blue is "Navless". Opinions???

BicketyBam 03-04-2008 09:25 PM

I use mine all the time, but that's just me. If you didn't use it on your last 'Vette, I don't think that will change now.

rob62 03-04-2008 09:33 PM

Dont use mine very often if ever.Save yourself alot of cash and enjoy the I-pod hookup that comes with the navless radio.

BearZ06 03-04-2008 09:58 PM

You are correct, sound system is not as good as non nav and $$ it costs are the cons. Pros are it looks better and possibly resale. Don't really use mine, I'd just get the car I liked the most regardless of nav. I ordered mine with nav for resale but don't know if I'd do it again.

allegretto 03-04-2008 10:02 PM

How often are you lost?

JSB? Me likee!!!

'06 Quicksilver Z06 03-04-2008 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by my4thvette (Post 1564394459)
Started looking today for a Z06 and found a pair in the same price range. I like both colors..black and jetstream blue, so that is not the issue. Does having Navigation really make a difference on this car? My 05 C6 ragtop had it and I really never used it. Seems like a waste, plus the audio system really sounds better without the Nav unit. Do most of you that have it really use it or was it just that dealer ordered it that way and you did not want to wait for a special order? BTY, the Jetstream Blue is "Navless". Opinions???

My vote is for no NAV.

Had it in my '05. Used it and thought I'd miss it when I got the Z06.

Missed it for about a week. And then discovered that the non NAV radio actually sounds better than the NAV radio.

Now I'm glad I don't have it in the Z06. I have NAV capabilities with my cellular phone so no need for it in the car.

kentz06 03-04-2008 10:04 PM

Nav!

BAREFOOT JOE 03-04-2008 11:04 PM

I have it and use it, my daughter has basketball games at schools I have never been to, so it helps a lot. The cool thing about the nav is it integrates with the heads up (in street mode) Puts a neat looking "count down" bar as you approach you turn, plus the street name and direction of turn. It looks cool in the dash.

Torched 03-04-2008 11:06 PM

Nav a very useful tool. It sure is better than a Thomas guide or using Yahoo maps(Which have messed up big time) getting me more lost than I already was.

805Z06 03-04-2008 11:08 PM

I would order it without Nav and do the after-market one, a lot more features...

2k Cobra 03-04-2008 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by BicketyBam (Post 1564394500)
I use mine all the time, but that's just me. If you didn't use it on your last 'Vette, I don't think that will change now.

:iagree:

If you don't, you will wish you did! :flag:

augydog 03-04-2008 11:21 PM

I wanted the Nav when I bought my '07 Z, but the dealer didn't have a black Z with the Nav. The deal was a good one, so I bought the car without Nav.

I think the interior looks better with the Nav. I've had my car almost a year, and I can honestly say I probably wouldn't use it much if at all.

Granted the Bose radio (6 Cds) I have sounds better than the Nav radio, but I never listen to the radio because of the tire noise and prefer the exhaust sounds.. :D

Its strange, but on my 2006 Honda Civic Si, I have the Nav and have used it a few times. also the sound system is one of the best I have ever heard in a car. The amp has 350 watts and a built in subwoofer.

I guess the bottom line would be, if my dealer had a black Z with the Nav, and a black Z without, I would have bought the one with the Nav.

augydog :cheers:

HIRISC 03-04-2008 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by 805Z06 (Post 1564396502)
I would order it without Nav and do the after-market one, a lot more features...

I agree.

I bought nav - for the look, functionality and resale.

I don't take trips, so I wouldn't do it again with a Z.

Go aftermarket if you need nav.

Oh, and JSB is SMOKIN'

emejay 03-04-2008 11:40 PM

I ordered my 07Z without NAV because I thought I would never use it. A few months later, I bought a new GMC Sierra pick up and it had NAV and I was offered a great deal , so I bought it. I wish I had the $1700 back (or whatever the NAV cost) because I rarely use it as I usually know where I'm going. I can see some people having a need for it, but that is not me. I enjoy the 6 CD changer in the Z much more than the NAV in the Sierra. The argument that NAV increases the resale is true, but it increases the resale value a very small percentage compared to the initial cost of the NAV. Don't fall prey to the increase in resale value argument.

I believe the color choice would be way more important to me!!! Not to start an hellacious fight on this thread, but maintaining a black Vette to my demanding standards is a perpetual frustration. I had a new black 91 ZR1 which I sold in one year to buy a blue ZR1, just to get rid of that black car. Despite my most incredible, over the top efforts of maintaining the factory new look, a new swirl or microscratch was found almost every time I washed it.
Enjoy whatever you get, there is no bad choice on this car!

DrtyHarry 03-04-2008 11:43 PM

I vote for the nav. Sometimes I go too fast and I find myself in unfamiliar territory. lol

I do use it often and it has a lot of great features, it also looks cool and will hold a higher value at the end of the day if that means anything to you. You can still listen to CDs, and come this May, GM will have a factory wiring harness so you can plug in your MP3/Ipod in a Z06.

I'm always traveling, so the nav is a big help for me. Especially when driving home drunk and have no clue where I am. lol (I don't drink)

jgaches 03-05-2008 12:31 AM

I have Nav, and I would say don't do it. Buy an aftermarket unit you can move car to car or even take with you in your pocket.

SrfCity 03-05-2008 12:58 AM

I've got it and don't really use it or need it for the driving I do with the Vette. One thing I've noticed is it gets a lot of glare with the angle the screen is at. On my DD car there's next to no glare.

Echo 03-05-2008 02:52 AM

I have nav and don't use it much. It does make the interior more attractive though. I would probably use my nav if I could enter a destination on the go instead of waiting until I'm completely stopped.

Daytona-flyer 03-05-2008 05:40 AM

One month ago I took delivery of a Jetstream Blue Z06 with NAV.

Love the Blue but the NAV is not intuitive to use. If you get the NAV plan on spending some time with the manual.

I have a Garman Nuvi that I never opened the book for.

After the steep learning curve, it's not hard to use the GPS but it does take some time.

The center stack does look much better with the Nav screen. I'd get it again.

Eric

Dizz 03-05-2008 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by 805Z06 (Post 1564396502)

:iagree: I find the Nav unit not very user friendly. I would just get myself a nice Small Garmin if I was to do it again.