CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Who Plays "Hide the Vette"? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/1960393-who-plays-hide-the-vette.html)

xcutter 03-06-2008 11:56 AM

Who Plays "Hide the Vette"?

Does anyone else besides me find themselves hiding the Vette when someone comes to do a job at your house? In the garage, doors down, she goes. I have found that people assume you are rich when they see the Vette and they tend to try and jack up the price of their services. I will park away from a store to prevent the salesperson from seeing my car when I will be negotiating a price.
My wife got into a car accident two weeks ago. I rushed to the scene and both her and the other driver where unhurt. Five minutes later, after seeing my Vette, the other person is now hurt. She has her attorney handling things now. My wife said she was perfectly fine until I pulled up in the Vette. She made a phone call and then told the police she was hurt. It also didn't help that my wife has a new BMW 5 series. She saw $$$

kgelliott 03-06-2008 11:59 AM

I enjoy having people think I'm rich! :lol:

Shrike6 03-06-2008 12:09 PM

:rofl:
I thought I was the only one who does that.
Doesn't seem to work too good, though.
GM

CH-Z51 03-06-2008 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by gmoller (Post 1564419172)
:rofl:
I thought I was the only one who does that.
Doesn't seem to work too good, though.
GM

:iagree: Doesn't work out to well for me either.

zich6 03-06-2008 12:25 PM

I usually keep mine in the garage with the cover on, for several reasons. First and formost is so that my teenagers don't scratch it up and secondly, for the reasons you mentioned.

Victoryred 08 03-06-2008 12:35 PM

I find myself doing the same only when negotiating a price with a contractor, otherwise, I'm proud of it and it's a good conversation starter. :yesnod: :cheers:

RICH 28 03-06-2008 12:54 PM

:iagree:

Originally Posted by Victoryred 08 (Post 1564419496)
I find myself doing the same only when negotiating a price with a contractor, otherwise, I'm proud of it and it's a good conversation starter. :yesnod: :cheers:

xcutter 03-06-2008 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by kgelliott (Post 1564419042)
I enjoy having people think I'm rich! :lol:

I enjoy not over paying for a service because people think I am rich. After that, I'm with you :thumbs:

NYC Vette 03-06-2008 01:08 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I didn't think people do that...
In NYC, I live in a high rise and I do hide mine in the garage -- out of shame!! My car is probably one of the cheaper ones there. Infact, I get an inferiority complex everytime I get out of the car, and I see the Maybach parked next to me. :ack: :ack: :ack:

Sammgb 03-06-2008 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by xcutter (Post 1564419016)
My wife got into a car accident two weeks ago. I rushed to the scene and both her and the other driver where unhurt. Five minutes later, after seeing my Vette, the other person is now hurt. She has her attorney handling things now. My wife said she was perfectly fine until I pulled up in the Vette. She made a phone call and then told the police she was hurt. It also didn't help that my wife has a new BMW 5 series. She saw $$$

I do tend to hide the car (door down) when I'm having work done. It's bad enough if they're in the house and see the huge TVs, computers, stereos, china cabinet full of sterling, etc... The last thing I want to do is for them to see the Vette in the garage.

As for your wife's story, my wife got into an accident back in 1998 and the guy in the SUV that she hit was hurt, lying in the car, holding his knee complaining about the pain, right up to the point that my wife excused herself to go call the law firm to tell them that she'd be late that day. Miraculously, he was up and walking and had no pain whatsoever by the time she got off the phone. She made sure to get the LEO to corroborate his statement that he was fine and refused to go to the hospital.

NW94Z 03-06-2008 01:20 PM

Your not the only one. Before I sold my H2 I had to try and hide it as well as the Vette. Even parked it on my neighbors driveway in the past (with permission of course). Guys come over to quote a job and I know the quote goes up based on the perceived value of the customer. I've also got an in ground heated pool in the back and it always sparks a response when spotted. Kind of hard for me to hide.

MostWanted 03-06-2008 01:35 PM

I like to play, "If you bring your kids to my house and they put their hands all over my car then they should be prepared to be corrected!"

Sunnyvale Dave 03-06-2008 01:38 PM

I don't have a place to hide my Vette, but I think you are right about people jacking up the price of service when they see you own a Corvette.

I thought I was the only one it had happened to.

hitecredneck 03-06-2008 01:41 PM

worse when they see two 07 vetts

jimmie jam 03-06-2008 01:44 PM

yea, i hide mine but my DD is a caddy so i'm still screwed:o :lol:

goatts 03-06-2008 01:53 PM

Yes, unfortunately.

pentavolvo 03-06-2008 01:56 PM

whenever we go car shopping i leave the lexus and vette at home and take my kids cavalier tends to work out in my benefit. make em think u are really stretchin the budget lol

AORoads 03-06-2008 02:08 PM

:yesnod:

johnodrake 03-06-2008 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by xcutter (Post 1564419016)
Does anyone else besides me find themselves hiding the Vette when someone comes to do a job at your house? In the garage, doors down, she goes. I have found that people assume you are rich when they see the Vette and they tend to try and jack up the price of their services. I will park away from a store to prevent the salesperson from seeing my car when I will be negotiating a price.

I'll bet your insurance co will like that piece of info. Fraud isn't appreciated.

Dport 03-06-2008 02:21 PM

I've always thought the opposite. IMO generally speaking rich people have a sense of shrewdness about them.

When I'm talking to a contractor or car dealer I want them to think I'm on top of my game.