CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Car Care Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/car-care-discussion-10/)
-   -   Clay Bar Experience on Windshield/Auto Glass (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/car-care-discussion/1967507-clay-bar-experience-on-windshield-auto-glass.html)

navyvetrun 03-14-2008 07:00 AM

Clay Bar Experience on Windshield/Auto Glass

Windshield looks bad in sunlight..tree sap, light scratches and oter air borne stuff..several questions..

1) Any experience using clay on windshield? difficult to remove? worth the effort? does it work?
2) Is there a special type of clay to use? just for glass?paint?will any work?
3) Auto Geek offers a special kit for glass for about $50 is it worth the money?

thanks to all

TOGWT 03-14-2008 12:42 PM

1& 2 Poli-Flex Rubberized Clayblock ® safely and easily removes rail dust, water spots, tar, bugs, and paint overspray from automotive paint and glass surfaces - http://www.chemicalguys.com

Pro-Techt 03-15-2008 09:28 AM

If you don't feel the need to blow $12++ for clay, invest in some #0000 steel wool and it will safely remove anything that's on any glass panel on your vehicle.

Roughrider 03-15-2008 10:02 AM

The cream cleaner for glass top ranges works wonders on a windshield and leaves a Rain-X like coating that repels most any liquid that hits it. You can find it in any grocery store.

96vetteLT4 03-15-2008 10:37 AM

Turtle Wax Liquid Clay

While I dont use Turtle wax Ice products I was given a bottle of their liquid clay to try. I wouldnt put it on paint but I did find it worked wonders on glass. The liquid clay isnt enough to work on paint but try it on windows and you will be surprised. There enough clay in their liquid to work on windows and its real easy to use, it will take off grime and other items that have gotton on your glass pretty easily, again dont use it for your paint its worthless....G

TOGWT 03-15-2008 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Pro-Techt (Post 1564555618)
If you don't feel the need to blow $12++ for clay, invest in some #0000 steel wool and it will safely remove anything that's on any glass panel on your vehicle.

FWIW (possible safety issue)- I was asked by a classic MB owner if I would polish the windshield; he had been advised by a carwash 'detailer' "Steel wool will remove scratches from auto glass", it did but it left so many ultra fine scratches that when the sunlight or auto full beams were shone on the glass it was almost impossible to see. He is now a regular client :)

Pro-Techt 03-15-2008 03:11 PM

I wonder if the windshields produced years ago on classic vehicles are any different than the ones being manufactured today? I just used a piece of #0000 on my windshield and rubbed it for about 15 seconds and didn't notice any scratching?

ZoranC 04-04-2008 02:43 AM

What TOGWT said, both regarding clay block and steel wool.

I have seen bad experiences using steel wool on glass. Simplest one was tons of small steel wool particles all over the place.

I have used clay on glass but ever since I used clay block on it (well, Elastrofoam if you insist) I am in love with it.

Carl Weisz 07-20-2009 12:35 AM

Steel Wool works better

I would definitely go for steel wool. Much safer than clay

cmonkey713 07-20-2009 11:50 PM

I have used Clay Bar on windshields and other automotive glass for routine cleaning for years. Works great. No problems what so ever. After clay I use Stoner's Invisible Glass Cleaner and then two coats of Rain-X, polishing after each application. :D

jdizon 08-19-2009 02:44 AM

Using clay? It is especially noticeable on white vehicles where it is visible as small rust colored spots. It can also be felt by gliding a hand across the paint surface. A rough texture can be felt. Even new cars have the presence of IFO from being shipped and stored at shipping points and at dealerships. Paint over spray occurs to more than 1 out of every 4 vehicles. On a breezy or windy day, a painter’s work can travel some distance. This airborne paint attaches itself to everything in its path. Paint over spray can also be seen and felt.

meghan@autogeek.net 08-19-2009 03:38 PM

Here is some tech help on getting the glass clean...
http://www.autogeek.net/waterspots.html

Also there are several kit if you need something a bit stronger on the glass.
http://www.diamondite.com/diamondite...epair-kit.html
http://www.diamondite.com/diamondite...ction-kit.html

TOGWT 08-20-2009 06:14 AM

[QUOTE=Carl Weisz;1570846556]I would definitely go for steel wool. Much safer than clay [QUOTE]

Could you explain the 'dangers' of a soft pliable clay as opposed to synthetic steel wool, please

ZimRandy 08-20-2009 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by TOGWT (Post 1571202720)

Originally Posted by Carl Weisz (Post 1570846556)

Could you explain the 'dangers' of a soft pliable clay as opposed to synthetic steel wool, please

:iagree: with TOGWT. :toetap:

However, I don't expect a response as this thread has a "spam and go" feel to it with the autoglass links that people put in their posts. ;)

*Notice how the posters that linked glass companies just joined and have only a few posts? This thread has a lot of tags listed below, too?

Onyasix 08-20-2009 07:29 PM

[QUOTE=TOGWT;1571202720]

Originally Posted by Carl Weisz (Post 1570846556)

TOGWT, I think his guy (more probably a kid) got you. :D

Vette5.5 08-22-2009 10:06 PM

Another thing I've seen detailers use, is light household cleanser rated for fiberglass surfaces, such as Bon-Ami. Not talking about the brute stuff like Comet and Ajax, as these are pretty hard compounds. Don't think the Bon-Ami actually polishes glass, but does a good job of removing auto car wash wax build up and such. The Auto-Geek polishing kit looks pretty good as I've used similar kit's and really took care of the sunny day glare/glaze problem.

WAwatchnut 08-23-2009 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by ZimRandy (Post 1571204188)
:iagree: with TOGWT. :toetap:

However, I don't expect a response as this thread has a "spam and go" feel to it with the autoglass links that people put in their posts. ;)

*Notice how the posters that linked glass companies just joined and have only a few posts? This thread has a lot of tags listed below, too?

I always wonder if these people realize they're probably doing their business more harm than good.

After seeing that post (and clicking on the link to see what useful information they were trying to provide), I soon realized that they aren't at all interested in helping people, just in making money. Personally, I take my business to companies that care about their customers.

WAwatchnut 08-23-2009 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by navyvetrun (Post 1564540678)
Windshield looks bad in sunlight..tree sap, light scratches and oter air borne stuff..several questions..

1) Any experience using clay on windshield? difficult to remove? worth the effort? does it work?
2) Is there a special type of clay to use? just for glass?paint?will any work?
3) Auto Geek offers a special kit for glass for about $50 is it worth the money?

thanks to all

One thing to think about is that clay will be helpful in removing any contaminants bonded to the glass, but won't do anything about damage to the glass itself. The polishing kits like the one AutoGeek sells, are designed to actually smooth out imperfections in the glass itself. So just like there are instances where clay barring the car will be all you need, there are other times when you really need to polish the paint itself.

I've used clay on my windows for hardened sap and other gunk on the surface. But for my older windshield, a polishing kit worked great to resolve the imperfections in the glass itself.

FreddyG 08-30-2009 02:30 AM

I've used a comet type cleanser called Bar Keepers Friend on mine before because it says right on the can that it's safe for glass cook top stoves. It seems to work pretty well!

autoglass3278 09-05-2012 08:00 AM

Clay or Steel Wool? What to use?

I would definitely go for clay. Once this is done then go over it with some wax.