CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Lock Pick problem? Buyer Beware!! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/1977415-lock-pick-problem-buyer-beware.html)

Tom_Slick 03-24-2008 08:45 PM

Lock Pick problem? Buyer Beware!!

[Quote:
Originally Posted by LBAR View Post
Hi,
Does anyone know which is the best Ipod interface to connect on a vette with navigation. My intent is to have the commands on the touch screen.
*I went to the dealership where I bought the car and was told that a couple which were installed were draining the battery of the car. I do not want that to happen. If anyone has had a good experience please share.
Thanks]

I just had that happen to me... The Lock Pick! Installed it, came out to a dead battery the next morning! Dealer(stealer) charged me a couple hundred to find this($110/ diagnosis times 2 days!) It happened over the weekend(installed Saturday) Sunday morning(dead battery) I'm thinking the problem is with the battery, my car's two y/o, so I go and buy a Yellow Top Optima for $100 plus which it turns out I didn't need! I've tried to contact them and got no response. I read on another forum that this has become a wide spread problem and that the company isn't responding to emails or phone messages! Can you say Class Action Suite?

http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g153/Tom_Slick/

nowheelie 03-24-2008 08:51 PM

I don't know how the LockPick is installed, or connected to the radio.

I have a Nav radio with XM/Sirius. When I installed my auxilliary audio device (from PIE) I had to make sure the device was installed NOT as in the instructions, but by connecting the power for the device to the passenger side fuse box, via a switched one (htd seat? sorry, can't remember off the top of my head).

Otherwise, if the device was installed as per the instructions it would not allow the radio/system to shut down properly, resulting in a constant drain, and....voila dead battery.

No problems with the device since then.

BigButtLover 03-24-2008 08:54 PM

Thanks for the info. :thumbs:

Tom_Slick 03-24-2008 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by nowheelie (Post 1564699333)
I don't know how the LockPick is installed, or connected to the radio.

I have a Nav radio with XM/Sirius. When I installed my auxilliary audio device (from PIE) I had to make sure the device was installed NOT as in the instructions, but by connecting the power for the device to the passenger side fuse box, via a switched one (htd seat? sorry, can't remember off the top of my head).

Otherwise, if the device was installed as per the instructions it would not allow the radio/system to shut down properly, resulting in a constant drain, and....voila dead battery.

No problems with the device since then.

The lock Pick uses the XM radio connection. For some reason it was not allowing some module to go to sleep
continuing to draw 3amps of electricity and thus over night draining the battery.

XXXEsq 03-24-2008 09:06 PM

I've had a lockpick in my 07 Z06 for more than 6 months. Works fine. No DBS issues. The car sits for weeks without being driven. You won't know for sure until after the unit is removed and the problem is resolved.

Fcal 03-24-2008 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by XXXEsq (Post 1564699648)
I've had a lockpick in my 07 Z06 for more than 6 months. Works fine. No DBS issues. The car sits for weeks without being driven. You won't know for sure until after the unit is removed and the problem is resolved.

Same here. Have it in for 4 months with the Ipod constantly connected and no problems whatsoever.

mcandrew67 03-24-2008 09:24 PM

I've had mine installed over a year and have had no battery drain, I've left it at the airport for a week before and no dead battery. Mine is an 06 and has original battery....:cheers:

Tom_Slick 03-24-2008 10:29 PM

I may have rec'd a bad/ defective unit...? Like I said I've tried to contact the company and got no response. I'm out $300- $400! Wonder why I haven't heard from them? From what I've read on other forums, I'm not alone...

paz 03-24-2008 10:45 PM

Tom

I use the Scosche AXIPCLII. It works well with my iPhone.
Allows browse by artist, album, genre...
Read through this long thread for details:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...highlight=ipod

Tom_Slick 03-24-2008 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by paz (Post 1564701516)
Tom

I use the Scosche AXIPCLII. It works well with my iPhone.
Allows browse by artist, album, genre...
Read through this long thread for details:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...highlight=ipod

Considering the money I've spent/ lost, I'm almost considering buying a new HU with iPod and DVD playback. I could have almost paid for one of those Pioneer Avic D3 HU's someone was selling on the forum...

nowheelie 03-25-2008 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Tom_Slick (Post 1564699395)
The lock Pick uses the XM radio connection. For some reason it was not allowing some module to go to sleep
continuing to draw 3amps of electricity and thus over night draining the battery.

That's the reason I had to connect the aux-device power to the fuse box (passenger). I'd be curious if the other people who have the lockPick did a different install, OR if lockPick has anything on their site regarding the install?

Sorry, I'm just babbling by this point. Good luck.

C6Tim 03-25-2008 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by XXXEsq (Post 1564699648)

Same here... My IPOD has been connected to it since I got it and no problems with DBS. I probably should not have posted this because I will probably go out to the garage tomorrow and find a dead battery. :willy:

2005ArcticWhite 03-25-2008 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by BigButtLover (Post 1564699392)
Thanks for the info. :thumbs:

:iagree:

Sportsdude 03-25-2008 12:52 AM

Hope you get the issue resolved :cheers:

Tom_Slick 03-25-2008 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by nowheelie (Post 1564702675)
That's the reason I had to connect the aux-device power to the fuse box (passenger). I'd be curious if the other people who have the lockPick did a different install, OR if lockPick has anything on their site regarding the install?

Sorry, I'm just babbling by this point. Good luck.

Unless you splice the wires there's no separate cable to run to a fuse box. The unit I rec'd had one cable to plug into the jack running from the HU to the XM receiver. The other cable connected to the iPod... Very easy/ quick install once you have access to the XM receiver. Like I stated before there could be some bad units out there?

AutoCutter 03-25-2008 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Tom_Slick (Post 1564703220)
I just had that happen to me... The Lock Pick! Installed it, came out to a dead battery the next morning! Dealer(stealer) charged me a couple hundred to find this($110/ diagnosis times 2 days!) It happened over the weekend(installed Saturday) Sunday morning(dead battery) I'm thinking the problem is with the battery, my car's two y/o, so I go and buy a Yellow Top Optima for $100 plus which it turns out I didn't need! I've tried to contact them and got no response. I read on another forum that this has become a wide spread problem and that the company isn't responding to emails or phone messages! Can you say Class Action Suite?

Nope, mine has not caused an issue-yet. I will say that you have to be careful with the Lockpick's DIP switches (how 80's!)-other than that there isn't much you can screw up while installing the unit. It is a bummer that they won't return your contact attempts.

A "Class Action Suite?" As frustrating as this must be for you, I don't think this problem gets it up to Class Action Suit level