CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   Is the BBK intake dead or what? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/2007318-is-the-bbk-intake-dead-or-what.html)

ekess744 01-21-2009 04:56 PM

and if you are going for all out power, the singleplain seems to be superior, blower or not

IrishMac 01-21-2009 05:17 PM

After reviewing our standard policy of not allowing "bumping" of threads more than 45 days old, we have modified the rule to accommodate Technical threads and other threads (once reviewed by a moderator). The change to the existing policy now reads:

This rule will not apply to technical discussions or to posts in threads where such posts have been made to update the threads with information deemed by moderators to be of benefit to Forum members.
Thanks for the feedback, folks. :cheers:

IrishMac 01-23-2009 12:48 PM

MODERATOR NOTE: See above post for new rule regarding 45-day old threads.

GREGGPENN 01-23-2009 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by anesthes (Post 1568637392)
If you look inside the miniram the way it diverts the air you'll see why it's a bit more superior to the HSR. The problem with the miniram is it lacks an IAC passage, which is why miniram cars idles like turd.

-- Joe

How does the IAC passage help? As long as the IAC lets the necessary amount of air past the TB, doesn't that accomplish 90% of the task?

Nathan Plemons 01-23-2009 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN (Post 1568664635)
How does the IAC passage help? As long as the IAC lets the necessary amount of air past the TB, doesn't that accomplish 90% of the task?

Just guessing, but the LT1 IAC passage lets air into a specific IAC circuit. If it just dumps out into the main plenum it causes a number of idle problems. I know Holley's original design for aftermarket throttle bodies had the IAC dumping into the plenum instead of the idle circuit and they had a ton of problems.

Seems like it should work, but apparently it doesn't.

anesthes 01-23-2009 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Nathan Plemons (Post 1568664847)
Just guessing, but the LT1 IAC passage lets air into a specific IAC circuit. If it just dumps out into the main plenum it causes a number of idle problems. I know Holley's original design for aftermarket throttle bodies had the IAC dumping into the plenum instead of the idle circuit and they had a ton of problems.

Seems like it should work, but apparently it doesn't.

Looks like Nathan beat me to it. :)

-- Joe

GREGGPENN 01-23-2009 06:46 PM

Sorry, I don't get it. My 1989 L98 plenum has two holes in it's "floor" (just behind the TB inlets) that feed over to one small runner. (NOT A 9th injector BTW).

It looks like air could go to the main runners, or get sucked down that special passage/runner. Maybe velocity is faster thru the smaller tube? Even if it is, does this atomize/improve things much? I just don't see it being significant.

I'd rather see good explanation vs something like "running like a turd". It just doesn't explain what's happening. It makes you think the only decent running (idling) intake is a stock intake. Other than this reference, I've not heard that.

gp

BTW: My understanding is the IAC adjusts air flow thru the TB by varying a plunger (pintle). The pathway (being variably blocked) flows from the hole in the middle of the TB to the back -- and around the gasket into the normal TB ports. Maybe early L98 or LT1 models are different?

Anyway, the varied amount of air helps speed/slow the idle base on engine demands (i.e., A/C running or gear selection on an auto). If it runs too slow, it might stumble, otherwise I'd think there wouldn't be a significant problem.

Cadmaro 01-23-2009 08:00 PM

here is what i got after i sent a email to bbk about the intake which is part number 5014 btw

Hello Kevin,

Thank you for your continued patience! We are working away on several parts but I do not have a specific release date for part #5014. I will note your contact information and let you know when I learn additional information in regards to the release date.

Sarah Zeal

National Sales Assistant

p:951.296.1771*206

f: 951.296.9024

www.bbkperformance.com
i remember when this was going to be released in winter 05. lol will it ever be ready?

anesthes 01-24-2009 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN (Post 1568667721)
Sorry, I don't get it. My 1989 L98 plenum has two holes in it's "floor" (just behind the TB inlets) that feed over to one small runner. (NOT A 9th injector BTW).

It looks like air could go to the main runners, or get sucked down that special passage/runner. Maybe velocity is faster thru the smaller tube? Even if it is, does this atomize/improve things much? I just don't see it being significant.

I'd rather see good explanation vs something like "running like a turd". It just doesn't explain what's happening. It makes you think the only decent running (idling) intake is a stock intake. Other than this reference, I've not heard that.

gp

BTW: My understanding is the IAC adjusts air flow thru the TB by varying a plunger (pintle). The pathway (being variably blocked) flows from the hole in the middle of the TB to the back -- and around the gasket into the normal TB ports. Maybe early L98 or LT1 models are different?

Anyway, the varied amount of air helps speed/slow the idle base on engine demands (i.e., A/C running or gear selection on an auto). If it runs too slow, it might stumble, otherwise I'd think there wouldn't be a significant problem.

For starters:

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/di...tml?highlight=

You are on the wrong site. Search thirdgen.org. 20 thousand more posts of every possible technical topic.

Just wait until you get into prom tuning.

-- Joe